Hunting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hunting

Congratz Dan! thats a great accomplishment. Great motivation to do it for too! Nice buck.

josh

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
    I knew this year I wanted to do some hard core hunting and really get in there. So back in June I went to my doctor and told him what I was wanting to do. Since I have had several knee and ankle surgery's, so we set up a diet and I went swimming at my gym for two hrs a day for 4-5 days a week, I have dropped over 50lbs and my endurance is up 110%.

Here is the Picture of the deer I took this yr.

Comment

I knew this year I wanted to do some hard core hunting and really get in there. So back in June I went to my doctor and told him what I was wanting to do. Since I have had several knee and ankle surgery's, so we set up a diet and I went swimming at my gym for two hrs a day for 4-5 days a week, I have dropped over 50lbs and my endurance is up 110%.

Here is the Picture of the deer I took this yr.

Nice little beast. What did it weigh in at? And what was the shooting specifics (bow/shotgun/rifle, calibre/gauge, range, running or not, etc.)? Inquiring minds want to know!

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
        Nice little beast. What did it weigh in at? And what was the shooting specifics (bow/shotgun/rifle, calibre/gauge, range, running or not, etc.)? Inquiring minds want to know!

I hunt elk with my Bowtech single cam draw at 80lbs. But for deer I use my 270 Remington, bolt action rifle. My shot was only 100 yrds and it dropped 30yrds from there. It was not running I had a broadside shot, I have been practicing a lot so the last two yrs I have taken my deer with one shot which I am very happy with. This is a centeral Oregon Mule deer so it wieghed in at 210 lbs field dressed and butchered at estimated 100-120lbs of meat.

Comment

I hunt elk with my Bowtech single cam draw at 80lbs. But for deer I use my 270 Remington, bolt action rifle. My shot was only 100 yrds and it dropped 30yrds from there. It was not running I had a broadside shot, I have been practicing a lot so the last two yrs I have taken my deer with one shot which I am very happy with. This is a centeral Oregon Mule deer so it wieghed in at 210 lbs field dressed and butchered at estimated 100-120lbs of meat.
          Very nice. Last year was my first actual year hunting (a number of years with shooting, but I only last year had to get my own personal firearms licence, and so I decided to fully jump the shark and get my hunting certificate too - I've always fished and had my outdoors card for that, so this was just a continuation finally). I went out on the shotgun-week hunt with some old family friends, and we did drives for whitetail. Between the four of us, we got four deer (2 bucks and 2 does) in about 3 1/2 days of hunting, spread out over 5 days (two 1/2 days in there, or so). The one I got was a big ol doe. Nailed her at 108 yards, on the run (wild to watch, laid out like a cheetah while she booked it), running laterally behind me, running away from the rest of the group, and she ran down a ravine line, trying to cut behind me. She tried to sneak by me, and was silent as a ghost. But from SAR, I have a habit of really using my peripheral vision, and checking behind me every 5 to 10 yards or so, so I saw her booking it. Nailed her with a Reminton 870 pump 12-gauge, with a cantilever-topped 23" fully rifled sabot-slug barrel on it, with an el-cheapo Tasco red dot. Worked great. One shot and BANG, down she went, sliding about 30 yards after the knockdown with her forward momentum. It was about a 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 year-old doe, and she cleaned up just about the same as your mule deer.

Nothing like it. Fun, ain't it?!!

Comment

It's on.....bow season opened this weekend in Oregon for the first time since I was 12 I am not hunting opening week. We have a full moon and it's raining part of this week so I decided to go next week. This year i am bow hunting for elk, deer & bear. I have been shooting my bow all summer and can't wait to get out there. I have several trophy bulls in my trail cam pics and five black bears one that could compete for the state record here is a picture we took from our trail cam.

Comment

Interesting, Dan. You'll have to keep us updated. Best wishes and good luck on your hunt.

Comment

I use to "trap" when I was a kid and I really miss doing that. I've only went hunting a couple of times in my life, but never got anything. I'm really BIG into firearms, so that occupies some of my free time when I have it.

Comment

Good luck
                  we open up Oct 1st

Comment

Goose and Dove open on Sept 1.

Duck opens on Oct 2.

Comment

Thanksgiving Day deer 2009
                      Attached Files

Comment

i've helped with a few moose others have brought down, but havent made it out myself.

These days, it's tough to find much without 4-wheeling or boating out somewhere.

I hope to go chase some caribou soon, but we'll see.

Comment

Just got my Benelli M2 Field and other hunting gear all prepped and ready. Shotgun season for deer doesn't start until the end of November, but dammit, I'm ready NOW!!!!

Might have to go looking for some coyotes during the next few weeks, just to scratch the itch!

Comment

Just got my Benelli M2 Field and other hunting gear all prepped and ready. Shotgun season for deer doesn't start until the end of November, but dammit, I'm ready NOW!!!!

Might have to go looking for some coyotes during the next few weeks, just to scratch the itch!
                            I feel for you guys who have to hunt deer with a scattergun.

Tried the rifled slug route once, doesn't compare to my Rem 25.06 or 280.

James

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
                              I feel for you guys who have to hunt deer with a scattergun.

Tried the rifled slug route once, doesn't compare to my Rem 25.06 or 280.

James
                              Don't have to, choose to.

Well, it all depends on where you want to hunt. The majority of Ontario is indeed rifle hunting for deer. But, in southwestern Ontario, where the population density is quite full for communities, it's either bow or muzzleloaders, and/or shotgun hunting. They do it like this for safety, as there's no real need to use a rifle in these locations, and the deer density is more than high enough to make it really viable.

It's actually quite fun. It's much more of a test, of both your skills as a hunter, and of your markmanship. Using a shotgun, you can use buckshot, slugs, or even a rifled-barrel shotgun with sabot-slugs (with a good red-dot or shotgun scope, capable shooters can reach out to 250 yards even with this).

Even with normal slugs, I'm good for a six-inch target out to about 150. Fun as hell actually to use a big boom stick to take down a deer inside of a hundred yards with a 1 oz chunk of lead.

Scatterguns have come a long way in the last decade. I'll be going out with my new Benelli M2 this fall (beautiful autoloader, just bought this past spring); done it previously with my Rem 870 with a fully-rifled barrel and cantilever mounted red-dot. It'll be a huge advantage for me with the autoloader versus the pump, and also being able to buy normal slugs for $4 a 5-pack, versus the sabot-slugs for the rifled barrel at $22 or more per 5-pack.

This is all for hunting around my area, where we have lots of farms and housing, and the deer are aplenty and trophy-grade.

But, if I choose, when deer season is on, I can take a rifle, and travel north to hunt too.
                              Last edited by canucksartech; 09-07-2010, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Don't have to, choose to.

Well, it all depends on where you want to hunt. The majority of Ontario is indeed rifle hunting for deer. But, in southwestern Ontario, where the population density is quite full for communities, it's either bow or muzzleloaders, and/or shotgun hunting. They do it like this for safety, as there's no real need to use a rifle in these locations, and the deer density is more than high enough to make it really viable.

It's actually quite fun. It's much more of a test, of both your skills as a hunter, and of your markmanship. Using a shotgun, you can use buckshot, slugs, or even a rifled-barrel shotgun with sabot-slugs (with a good red-dot or shotgun scope, capable shooters can reach out to 250 yards even with this).

Even with normal slugs, I'm good for a six-inch target out to about 150. Fun as hell actually to use a big boom stick to take down a deer inside of a hundred yards with a 1 oz chunk of lead.

Scatterguns have come a long way in the last decade. I'll be going out with my new Benelli M2 this fall (beautiful autoloader, just bought this past spring); done it previously with my Rem 870 with a fully-rifled barrel and cantilever mounted red-dot. It'll be a huge advantage for me with the autoloader versus the pump, and also being able to buy normal slugs for $4 a 5-pack, versus the sabot-slugs for the rifled barrel at $22 or more per 5-pack.

This is all for hunting around my area, where we have lots of farms and housing, and the deer are aplenty and trophy-grade.

But, if I choose, when deer season is on, I can take a rifle, and travel north to hunt too.

I'm the same with archery tackle. I prefer my Hoyt recurve to the latest and greatest wheel bow.

I had a Mossberg rifled slug barrel on my 870. Mossberg made some Rem. barrels back in 90's. Never could get it to group with slugs. Sold it for about 1/2 what I paid for it.

James

Comment

Working...
                                X