X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting

One of my favorite things in the World to do is to hunting. Over the years I have done a bunch of different types of hunting and some I liked more than others but overall I liked them all. I thought I would start this thread to let everyone share their experiences, good or bad, with different types of hunting.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Hunting

ok I'm in a sharing mood.....

Never been a hunter but some of my most cherished memories as a child was sitting in a stinking, freezing duck blind with my old man. Being the youngest of eight, I never got much one on one time with him so I looked forward to this time of year. As a typical 10 year old I couldn't keep still or quiet. Both not good for hunting. He never even got a shot off while I was with him.

Still way better than going out with my brothers who insisted that I take off the orange vest and wander around in the woods full of other hunters on my hands and knees to 'attract' deer

Comment

I've never been much of a hunter. My dad never hunted due to constantly working so I didn't grow up in it.

Some hunter/friends & I were talking about deer hunting here recently. It's gotten hard to call it hunting. (At least here) Urban sprawl has gotten the deer almost tame. You can ride by deer or walk near them and they don't even run away. My nephew has a pic where he is rubbing a "wild" deer out in a field where he was riding his 4 wheeler. I know, I know, could have gotten hurt but that's just an example of what I'm talking about.

Shooting a deer here is like shooting a cow. No thrill of the kill so to speak.

I do like shooting squirrels with a pellet gun and no scope. More than one shot is cheating.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        ok I'm in a sharing mood.....

Never been a hunter but some of my most cherished memories as a child was sitting in a stinking, freezing duck blind with my old man. Being the youngest of eight, I never got much one on one time with him so I looked forward to this time of year. As a typical 10 year old I couldn't keep still or quiet. Both not good for hunting. He never even got a shot off while I was with him.

Still way better than going out with my brothers who insisted that I take off the orange vest and wander around in the woods full of other hunters on my hands and knees to 'attract' deer
        It's funny, I am babysitting my son Jon's English Springer this week. The dogs name is Duke and is the spitting image and temprement of my old dog Duke who Jon use to help handle when we were out hunting. Jon is number 4 of 6 and he still has fond memories of us hunting together when he was a kid. All of my boys hunted with me but Jon is the one who really enjoyed it.

Mark

Comment

Deer in Illinois when I was 14.
          Myself and another kid walked a 1/2 mile loop each of us with a box of 12 ga. shooting whatever we wanted to make the most amount of noise to push what ended up being a doe and fawn through the the cornrows for "Uncle George"(farmhand) to neckshoot the doe and gutshoot the fawn.God he was a bad shot.

Why am I more comfortable killing fish and birds.It's the same thing only on a smaller scale.I'm down to fish now after trying to do something with the gamey Duck and tiny dove/quail.Besides must not be that important to me anymore,I never applied to transfer my hunting license from IL.toCa.

Has nothing to the cleaning or eating,done lots of both years ago.I love the way my buddy prepares his venison and jerky from his Elk,deer,and pig.His butcher makes the best italian sausage out of his pig.

Having an epidemic deer outbreak in Alabama where the buddy goes once a year.I guess they can't shoot them fast enough.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            I've never been much of a hunter. My dad never hunted due to constantly working so I didn't grow up in it.

Some hunter/friends & I were talking about deer hunting here recently. It's gotten hard to call it hunting. (At least here) Urban sprawl has gotten the deer almost tame. You can ride by deer or walk near them and they don't even run away. My nephew has a pic where he is rubbing a "wild" deer out in a field where he was riding his 4 wheeler. I know, I know, could have gotten hurt but that's just an example of what I'm talking about.

Shooting a deer here is like shooting a cow. No thrill of the kill so to speak.

I do like shooting squirrels with a pellet gun and no scope. More than one shot is cheating.

J.C.
            I started out bird and mammal hunting in California. After a while it got too crowded so I started going to Utah, Arizona and Utah. Before too long those areas got just as bad. That's when I discovered Alaska. I hire a float plane and have them drop me and one other hunter several hundred miles West of Anchorage with just our gear and a raft. We rarely see anyone for about 10-days when we finally float down to a larger river. Even then you can probably count the people you see on one hand before the plane comes back. It is a whole different type of hunting.

Mark

Comment

dirtyhands, have your buddy send some of those little Alabama deer up north to WI will ya. I just spent 7 days deer hunting and although our DNR says we're overrun with deer I never saw a deer the whole week. It wasn't like I didn't spend any time in the woods either as the shortest day in the woods of the 7 days was 5 hours of hunting. Most days it was 8-9 hours.

Even though I didn't bag a deer this year I can't complain about the quality time spent in the woods. A day just doesn't get much better when the only sounds you hear are geese honking, woodpeckers pecking, chickadees fluttering around, cows moaning, squirrels running around and crows cawing. Even the occasional buzzing of a chainsaw can't ruin the tranquility of a day in the woods.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Sure I'll tell him.
                Just remember yours is the one with the blue bandana around it's neck and tied to the birch tree on the EAST ridge.

Comment

I primarily hunt deer and turkey. Deer with a bow and turkey with a shotgun. I let way more deer walk by than I shoot. I just love to be out there. If I am not in the mood to track a deer I don't shoot. Five doe under my stand last week, I had doe permits, and I didn't attempt a shot. I just didn't feel like it. I would rather watch them. In my old age it is enough for me to know I could have shot one if I wanted.

A couple neighborhood kids are becoming interested in hunting so I will probably take them with me sometime this winter to show them how to hunt small game. One kid is seven. He makes his own turkey calls out of disposable plastic drink cups with a string attached. The sound is pretty realistic. I take him and another neighborhood kid fishing and kayaking. Great fun.

-Tom

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                    dirtyhands, have your buddy send some of those little Alabama deer up north to WI will ya. I just spent 7 days deer hunting and although our DNR says we're overrun with deer I never saw a deer the whole week. It wasn't like I didn't spend any time in the woods either as the shortest day in the woods of the 7 days was 5 hours of hunting. Most days it was 8-9 hours.

Even though I didn't bag a deer this year I can't complain about the quality time spent in the woods. A day just doesn't get much better when the only sounds you hear are geese honking, woodpeckers pecking, chickadees fluttering around, cows moaning, squirrels running around and crows cawing. Even the occasional buzzing of a chainsaw can't ruin the tranquility of a day in the woods.
                    BD, I thought it was only walleyes you were having trouble aquiring--now I am beginning to wonder.....

Comment

They'll never forget it Tom.They will benefit from the experience.
                      Good for you.

Comment

Crows are my favorite, they have to be the smartest bird alive and very hard to kill with a .410 (makes it even more sporting). Squirrels with a .22 and yotes with .243 or 22-250. Stray dogs are history also.

G3

Comment

"Stray dogs are history also"

Tell me about it.I had the swing shift on the Allis and Chalmers pulling the plow.By the time I woke myself out of the 10 min lap time induced trance to push in the clutch to stop the tractor neighbors dog king was already underground with four legs pointing up out of the turnover.
                          I could only sumize that he was already dead cause he didn't get out of the way of the tractor and plow.

I'd seen the farmhand shoot a beautiful black lab that wondered on to the property.Saw them lift a tail of a scroungy terrier and scrub it's behind with a corncob soaked in battery acid then kick-it down the driveway.I don't know why it took me so long to figure out the funny look on his face when I told him I plowed the neighbors dog over.

By the way,this ain't drift.This matter has to directly with hunting.You see the stray dogs would run up on the nesting pheasants that were stocked yearly for the club hunt and have an easy kill.So they HAD to go.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            neighbors dog king was already underground with four legs pointing up out of the turnover.
                            now thats funny. I had heard my dad talk about the corncob trick except it was with kerosene.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                              BD, I thought it was only walleyes you were having trouble aquiring--now I am beginning to wonder.....
                              Owwwwww.............
                              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
                              X