X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Work

I don't know about the rest of our country but the plumbing business has dried up here in NW Washington State. Not even one call on the day after Thanksgiving too! I've gone from 45 - 50 hour weeks to 7 hours in 10 days. However, I am fortunate to enjoy good health.
    Hope all of you are busy.

Re: No Work

Just don't spend money right now, ride it out.

Sell some inventory on ebay, do some swaps with local companies on stuff you don't need.

Pick up some online work if you can. Just don't become a spammer.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

7 calls..14 hours of work the day after Thanksgiving. Plenty of service work here.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by D'Brie View Post
        I don't know about the rest of our country but the plumbing business has dried up here in NW Washington State. Not even one call on the day after Thanksgiving too! I've gone from 45 - 50 hour weeks to 7 hours in 10 days. However, I am fortunate to enjoy good health.
        Don't worry D'Brie, things will pick up when you least expect it, $hit doesn't take a day off, a recession can't stop it from happening, your job won't be outsourced to another country. Its not usual for it to be that slow during the holidays, thats my busiest time. But I'm the only one up here that does emergency call 24/7, I'm sure that you have more competition than I do. It will get better....good luck
        The Other Rick

Comment

What forms of advertising are you doing?
          Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
          New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

guys, he's a first year apprentice.

either they are giving the work to the seniors there, or the shop he is working for has no work.

remember he's the low guy on the totem pole. also the least expensive

d'brie, can you elaborate the situation. how big of a shop are you in?

service and repair, drain cleaning, remodels?

is the whole shop this slow?

how about the competition?

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

OOOPPPs.....I didn't see that.

Tell your boss to join here
              Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

Wow! A first year laid off.These are the guys who are on through the winter slowdown even if it means sweeping floors and organizing bins on the company "welfare program".
                The Minneapolis union has been slow as hell for over a year.

Comment

Work for a scab shop?

I mean thats what I did to pay the bills , when the union didn't want me.....

Comment

Sorry to hear you're not as busy as once. Think outside of what you've been used to doing and you may find other opportunities.

May not be what you want to do but what you need to do for the time being.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Sorry to hear you are that slow. I would worry. You had better be looking for another job. You should not expect that your company is going to get busy, for a long time, if you are that slow.

Our shop is smoking hot right now. My boss never stops trying new types of advertising.

Lots of luck. Come to Baton Rouge for a few months if things are that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        either they are giving the work to the seniors there, or the shop he is working for has no work.
                        remember he's the low guy on the totem pole. also the least expensive
                        d'brie, can you elaborate the situation. how big of a shop are you in?
                        service and repair, drain cleaning, remodels?
                        is the whole shop this slow?
                        how about the competition?
                        rick.
                        Thanks everyone, lots of good stuff here. Hmmm... Baton Rouge is nice in the winter..

Rick,
                        I am in a non-union shop. We do service plumbing, new construction (both residential and commercial), remodels (resi & comm too).
                        Whole shop is slow except for one of our service guys and a trickle of commercial work. I personally have cleaned the shop until it shined and all is/was in order. Competition is dying on the vine as well. We advertise everywhere... phonebook, internet site, local newspaper, radio, door hangers and word of mouth. 3 journeymen, 4 apprentices (our 4th apprentice is a new hire and she is about $5.00/hr lower than the rest of us apprentices, so she gets all the work). Some are upset at her but it's not her fault, I am not resentful at all. I know $hit backs up every day and water heaters go bad. In the meantime, I have offerd my boss to lower my pay until things get better and I'll take a part-time job doing anything. My family is not going to go hungry. I love this work and hope to keep at it for many years to come.

Comment

Working...
                        X