Anyone Read?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Read?

Anyone read things other than job related? Business books? Other? Recommendations?

I'm reading The Art of War & The Black Swan. Not finished so no recommendations yet.

J.C.

Re: Anyone Read?

the news paper every day ,backpacker magazine ,yankee magazine ,consumer report and wind swept from MT Washington Observatory
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

That is what I like to do.As far back as I can remember,I have owned a libary card.But still cannot spell.
      Kenneth Collier
      Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
      Jackson, MS 39206
      (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
      drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Anyone read things other than job related? Business books? Other? Recommendations?

I'm reading The Art of War & The Black Swan. Not finished so no recommendations yet.

J.C.
        Yes,

These are some of my reads

Every day we produce loads of data about ourselves simply by living in the modern world: we click web pages, flip channels, drive through automatic toll booths, shop with credit cards, and make cell phone calls. Now, in one of the greatest undertakings of the twenty-first century, a savvy group of mathematicians and computer scientists is beginning to sift through this data to dissect us and map out our next steps. Their goal? To manipulate our behavior -- what we buy, how we vote -- without our even realizing it.

In The Selfish Gene, Richard Dawkins proposed the concept of the meme as a unit of culture, spread by imitation. Now Dawkins himself says of Susan Blackmore

Review
        `Blackmore interrogates 20 mind-body experts - philosophers, neuroscientists, psychologists, and various hybrids. She doesn't stand on ceremondy, is persistent, probing, honest about her puzzlements, and happy to defend her own views if the occasion arises, which once or twice creates a bit of friction (beware the baroness!)' Tom Clark, Naturalism.org

Thats just a few of my reads lately

Hope that helps

Comment

I read Drudge, the Forum, Popular Woodworking. I do sometimes get a home improvement book from the library. Everything else is pretty much work related.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
            I read Drudge, the Forum, Popular Woodworking. I do sometimes get a home improvement book from the library. Everything else is pretty much work related.
            You might like that first book in my post, Hell you might like the all

Comment

The last paperback was Neil deGrasse Tyson's book "Death By Black Hole and other Cosmic Quandaries"

I don't read much anymore. Mostly just audiobooks on the Ipod now.

The last one was Al Franken's "The Lying Liars and the Lies That They Tell"

I also read technical manuals. I know that sounds work related but it stimulates my brain.

Comment

The Good Book, I often pull out the Nero Wolfe or Judge Dee mysteries and reread. Finished McCullough's "John Adams" earlier this year and I'm halfway through Alexander Hamilton, Ann Coulter's "Treason" again, biblical exegesis books.
                I nightly peruse my rss feeds from a ton of news, opinion, science and health sites.
                Basically, I keep a lot of reading material by the bed and pick up what I feel like reading before:
                Sleep that knits up the ravelled sleave of care
                The death of each day's life, sore labour's bath
                Balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course
                Chief nourisher in life's feast
                ~William Shakespeare, Macbeth
                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

As of late I seem to be reading more books from authors like Dr. William S. Gray.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I don't have the patience to read books but I do read magazine articles on politics, health, science and the world around me. I believe it was an article in Esquire where I learned about sadaam husseins son's habit of kidnapping, rape, torture and murder of random women. I also actually read some of the articles in Playboy.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      As of late I seem to be reading more books from authors like Dr. William S. Gray.

Mark
                      One day you will work your way up to chapter books
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

It's winter and time to read a few of Jack London stories again.

I like reading most anything. especially if I can learn something.

Comment

I just finished Coal Black Horse, by Robert Olmstead. Kick a$$ book!!!!
                          Most of Larry McMurthy (didn't care for Terms of Endearment).

Have not read 'Edger Sawtell' (spelling?) but will be ordering soon. I hear it's a good read. Stephen King even endorsed it on the jacket, and that is almost unheard of.

I have a reading cabin in the woods. I love, on a good snow day, to grab a few beers, a good book and waste the day away in the cabin.
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Just finished Matter, by Ian Banks, it's the first of the Culture series he's written that I didn't enjoy.
                            That said, pick up Player of Games, or Excession, two of his best.
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              Anyone read things other than job related?
                              For years I couldn't ready anything that was not job related because I dealth with English and American literature. I used to read for a living, so to speak. One day I got fed up and I threw it all away. Now, I'm happy to read technical literature (job related) and general science/history etc books (not job related).

My wife is what you may call a true book worm. She reads all the time. That's what she does. When we go shopping she takes at least 3 books with her (just in case we have to wait in line). The other day we were talking about composting. Oh, btw, we have a book on composting - she said. Another time a little chat about Nazca in Peru and Erich von Däniken's The next day I'm walking to the rec room in the basement, and sure enough. Two of the guy's books are on my desk.
                              Name a subject, she has at least one book on it.

I noticed this evening she was reading Japanese Art of War. I'm hoping she isn't into anything serious with that
                              In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Working...
                              X