Nicotine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicotine

Just curious, Ace, are you engaging in any exercise or sport (other than work?)
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I largely gave up cycling and skiing for drinking and smoking about 8 years ago. I recently hired an aquaintence who had gone on an extended bender after/during his divorce and shot his business to hell. He's been kind of rediscovering life, and part of that has been getting back into climbing, which was a big thing for him in his youth. He's included me as well, and we both seem to enjoy him hauling me up a face and pretending I climbed it. So, there is a little bit of something new and physical.

The rock is now more or less too cold, wet, and slippery to climb, but we are considering alternatives. There is apparently some world class ice climbing in this area, which sounds cold and dangerous to me. There is the rec center which has the wall of fake holds. And while I have yet to act on them, I have had thoughts of running (which I used to do about 5 miles every eve a long time ago and enjoyed greatly 'til my ankles swelled up like oranges and I had to give it up), or maybe (Gasp) breaking out the skis.

I've been unable to get it up to ski for a long while now as I am so out of shape that it has been depressing to go out and not be able to even fake a turn on stuff I thought too flat to bother with in the past. Now, however, I seem to have lost a lot of ego and may be able to go out and simply enjoy the fact that I can at all.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

You can all joke about smoking and I smoked like a chimney, but twenty years ago I gave up after watching my mother lowered into her grave after suffering the last years of her life without legs as they were cut off from smoking and didn't want to end up like her in old age.

Tony

Comment

AFM; I don't think anyone is joking about it. Certainly I am not. I'm quitting because I recognize the consequences of continuing to smoke. I'm posting about it here because I am finding it difficult, and find it less difficult when I can whine about it a little, and when I get the supportive feedback I knew I'd find here.

zero today
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
            Stay with it Rick, I've been averaging about a pack a day for a long while. I've made an effort to dump them a couple of times. This time feels for real. I set that one back down today. That was tough, but it was a real turning point. I'm gonna beat them this time.
            That is how you kick a habit. Every time you pick one up and have the will to put it back down....its a small victory. One by one, you can overcome this addiction. It takes discipline and determination. But the reward of better health is worthy. Always focus on the health benefits every time you think about lighting up. Imagine yourself healthy and breathing freely, it does help.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I was smoking 4-packs a day (long days) in 1987 when I was admitted into the hospital with what they thought was a heart attack. They held me 72-hours just to make sure I didn't have a heart attack. Fortunately for me the hospital had gone smoke-free that day. After 72-hours I left the hospital determined to not smoke again. As hard as it was it was the best thing I have ever done. Now 20-years later watching my mother suffer with Alzheimer's I am told your chance increase by 50% for smokers. She smoked heavily until 2-years ago when I told her she quit years ago. She told me she didn't remember quitting but she was glad she did as it was getting too hard to breath. I guess what I did was a "white" lie.

You guys have the ability to quit and my full support. You need to quit for your families as you are taking valuable years away from them being with you.

Good luck-Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I say hang in there too Ace.

You can do it, we can help.

Sorry HD, I'm puttin your motto to better use than you are here.

4 years, 3 months and still going.
                Last edited by Bob D.; 12-12-2008, 08:00 PM.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I've smoked twice in my life; around 17 to 21 and then 29-31.

I'm now down to a 20 piece chick nug from mcdonald's now.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Well, I recommend the nicotine gum. I quit about 10 years ago. Not a puff since. I did the gum for probably a year. You were supposed to gradually taper the gum off, but that was not so easy. The gum seemed "safe"....no smoke, no problem around other people, etc. So I probably cut back some, but was pretty well liking the gum! But one day, I decided it was over. I made it OK and never looked back.

Consider doing gum for a while as an intermediary step.

Comment

Over a week now w/o a single puff. At first, the primary thing I was doing in all waking hours was not smoking. All else was something I was doing while I didn't smoke. I'm now having hours long stretches where I forget that I'm not smoking.

Comment

Feels good doesn't it?
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Yup. Feel like I'm getting some control over my life back.

Comment

I haven't made the final commitment yet. Had two today, neither one tasted that good. I've been taking the Chantix pills. And your right....totally aware all day that your not smoking, but its getting better and I'm sure I can kick it this time. I already feel better since I've gone to almost three packs a day to a couple of smokes a day.
                            The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                              Over a week now w/o a single puff. At first, the primary thing I was doing in all waking hours was not smoking. All else was something I was doing while I didn't smoke. I'm now having hours long stretches where I forget that I'm not smoking.
                              Way to go.
                              Kenneth Collier
                              Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                              Jackson, MS 39206
                              (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                              drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Great job guys... I love these threads. People making good decisions that add years to their lives and saves them thousands of dollars.

Josh

Comment

Working...
                                X