X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicotine

Just saw JR's post re mom in law, feeling like an idiot finding my little problem so daunting after reading about that, but need to either smoke or talk about it, so here it is.

Damn I want a cigarette.

Went to see the my family over turkey time, thought that would be as good a time as any to kick the things as none of them smoke and we have a silly don't ask/ don't tell detante where my tobacco use is concerned.

I made it more or less through that week, got home and sucked down a pack and a half in 4 days (which, sadly, is at least less than usual), and have now been 2 days with none if you don't count rooting through the ashtray in the truck I rarely drive and smoking old stale butts from there.

Dang o man are the hooks ever in deep.

This is it; I'm either quitting, or quitting trying to quit this time.

The rediculous part is that I don't even want to quit; I enjoy everything about the butts except the fact I can barely breath. I just know it's stop it soon or die slowly and in great pain, starting probably all too soon.

Anyway I've resolved not to buy anymore until at least Jan. But I'm letting myself bum them and pick them out of the gutter (I'm hoping the degradation will help me stop) when I just can't take it. I figure if I can make it another 3 weeks, the cravings will die out and I can let it go altogether.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Nicotine

Hang in there, Ace. Cut down at first, it'll help to break the cycle. Every time you go to have one, think about the pain of trying to suck in another breath and not being able to. It's difficult and painful, but it's worth it to quit. At the very least, you can cut down how much you smoke.

Good luck!! I've been trying for months now, and without success. I have managed to cut down a good bit, but can't quite seem to give them up entirely yet.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Quit for 15 min.Then when it is time to smoke,quite for another 15 min.and so on and so forth.Drink lots of water while doing so.Coffee,beer,etc:quit aslo for a while.One month later,smell your clothes--------Then give thanks you quit.From there on its one day at a time.I like to smoke also. When I quit,08 Aug.2007,I never stopped drinking beer.Thinking about stopping this aslo.Good Luck-Let us know how it turns out.____________P.S.( I will never smoke again.)
      Kenneth Collier
      Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
      Jackson, MS 39206
      (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
      drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
        Just saw JR's post re mom in law, feeling like an idiot finding my little problem so daunting after reading about that, but need to either smoke or talk about it, so here it is.

Damn I want a cigarette.

Went to see the my family over turkey time, thought that would be as good a time as any to kick the things as none of them smoke and we have a silly don't ask/ don't tell detante where my tobacco use is concerned.

I made it more or less through that week, got home and sucked down a pack and a half in 4 days (which, sadly, is at least less than usual), and have now been 2 days with none if you don't count rooting through the ashtray in the truck I rarely drive and smoking old stale butts from there.

Dang o man are the hooks ever in deep.

This is it; I'm either quitting, or quitting trying to quit this time.

The rediculous part is that I don't even want to quit; I enjoy everything about the butts except the fact I can barely breath. I just know it's stop it soon or die slowly and in great pain, starting probably all too soon.

Anyway I've resolved not to buy anymore until at least Jan. But I'm letting myself bum them and pick them out of the gutter (I'm hoping the degradation will help me stop) when I just can't take it. I figure if I can make it another 3 weeks, the cravings will die out and I can let it go altogether.
        Originally posted by VASandy View Post
        Hang in there, Ace. Cut down at first, it'll help to break the cycle. Every time you go to have one, think about the pain of trying to suck in another breath and not being able to. It's difficult and painful, but it's worth it to quit. At the very least, you can cut down how much you smoke.

Good luck!! I've been trying for months now, and without success. I have managed to cut down a good bit, but can't quite seem to give them up entirely yet.

I suggest Commit Lozenges to the both of you. I just hit 3 weeks with no smokes. I was only a little above a pack and day and never cut back just started the Commit's. I have only smoked for about 5-6 years but am all done now.

And try sunflower seeds too

Comment

9 out 10 customers prefer their service providers NOT be smokers.

The 10th one would be a smoker, of course.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

So, zero today, zero yesterday. Two weeks and a pack and a half total, last of them on Saturday, a couple old butts Sunday, think I bummed one on Monday. Picked up a nice half a marlboro in a park garage and contemplated it for a long while today, then carefully placed back where it had been.

Haven't hit anyone yet, have kept the yelling inside the van so far.

Coughing up interesting things... think parts of my lungs that haven't seen air in a long while are starting to do so again.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

So, zero today, zero yesterday. Two weeks and a pack and a half total, last of them on Saturday, a couple old butts Sunday, think I bummed one on Monday. Picked up a nice half a marlboro in a park garage and contemplated it for a long while today, then carefully placed back where it had been.

Coughing up interesting things... think parts of my lungs that haven't seen air in a long while are starting to do so again.

Good For You... Keep it up and I promise you will benefit from this WISE decision.

I am saving what I would spend in cigs every week and having it taken from my checked acct. and put in a savings. A little more incentive also.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeD22 View Post
                Good For You... Keep it up and I promise you will benefit from this WISE decision.

I am saving what I would spend in cigs every week and having it taken from my checked acct. and put in a savings. A little more incentive also.
                Yes I'm going to do this also... $35/week I'll be at that 52" hdtv in no time.

Comment

Your doing it.

I always looked at it as though starting back up would be just pissing away all the hard work and suffering I had invested to come this far.
                  And I was not willing to give that up.

You're in good company here.We've been where your at every step of the way.
                  Personally I'd rather you fail so I can have someone to stand next to at the round up.MMMMMM I still LOVE the smell of smoke

Comment

Never smoked so it's not fair for me to have an opinion on cravings.

So I'll tell you my experience. My pops smoked about 4 packs a day. He's still around and in good condition for his age. Anyway, many years ago we had been riding him to quit. So one day he went to the wholesale house (That's what there was then. No Wal-Mart etc.) and bought a whole case & made the announcement that he was going to smoke all he wanted-until the case was gone.

And he hasn't touched one since.

Been over 25 years. I've asked him about it and he said it's like anything you will ever do, "Just make up your mind and do it or don't. There is no in-between." He swears that you cannot ween yourself off them or use a patch or anything & you just quit.

Good luck to you & hope things work out.

J.C.

Comment

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Comment

I've had three today, down from more than two packs a day. Haven't even smoked a whole pack this week, it hasn't been easy. Like Adam said, too much time vested to not go on, just have to make the final commitment. And then stand next to someone to get their second hand smoke.
                        The Other Rick

Comment

Keep it up Ace.
                          Kenneth Collier
                          Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                          Jackson, MS 39206
                          (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                          drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            Your doing it.

I always looked at it as though starting back up would be just pissing away all the hard work and suffering I had invested to come this far.
                            And I was not willing to give that up.

You're in good company here.We've been where your at every step of the way.
                            Personally I'd rather you fail so I can have someone to stand next to at the round up.MMMMMM I still LOVE the smell of smoke
                            I like the smell of smoke aslo.Untill I smell it on my clothes,or under a overhang.
                            Kenneth Collier
                            Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                            Jackson, MS 39206
                            (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                            drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Stay with it Rick, I've been averaging about a pack a day for a long while. I've made an effort to dump them a couple of times. This time feels for real. I set that one back down today. That was tough, but it was a real turning point. I'm gonna beat them this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X