Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ending the recession, i think i figured it out!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ending the recession, i think i figured it out!

many, many houses for sale from banks that don't have any money.

the gas/energy prices going through the foreclosed roof.

car companies practically giving their vehicles away because they can't sell them to people that can't afford to buy them.

from the northern tip to the southern most part of north america, we are all affected.

everybody is concerned and for good reason. you should see things from my perspective.

we sort of got ourselves in a bit predicament(SNAFU) with all of the unpaid credit/morgages, government/city taxes, and government spending.

contrary to popular belief we inuit pay taxes, unlike our southern native counterparts that live on reserves. i personally paid $35 000 worth of personal taxes years back. i felt like i had been rode hard and put to bed wet.

please don't get me wrong. freedom comes at a cost, this i understand and appreciate.

i'm starting to get a good mental picture of the people that frequent this forum. whether your a tradesperson, handyperson, or a home owner......person(), there's alot of hard working people here.

the town i live in is like a micro-city. not unlike any typical city or town south of me. the infastructure is the same, just on a different hill.

most importantly, we got a plumber(). then we got our boozers($150/40oz bootlegged), cigarette smokers($15/pack), and potheads(yes even up here, i hear $50/gram, do the math).

the government never tried to take tobbaco away. they tried alcohol prohabition(that obviously didn't work). And pot was made illegal(tobbaco and rope companies).

the government taxes the crap out of tobbaco and alcohol and puts that money into the healthcare system to look after the addicts that have damaged their bodies either through smoking(cancer), or alcoholism(i was there).

up here, law enforcment doesn't make alot of marijuana busts. but it's all around, pot is everywhere(thankfully nothing harder,yet). it's just not worth the paperwork and taxpayer's harderned money for a $50 gram of pot.

now, the person thats selling the pot is making a whole sh!t load of "tax free" money.

if i had to pick the lesser of 2 evils for my people to be legally addicted to, i would choose the pot. i for one can tell you there is nothing scarier than a person in a drunken rage(gone native/loco). yes, i've been there too.

i think the gooborement(s) should legalize pot, control the growth of the plant, distribution, and sales. last but not least tax the crap out of it and put that money back into the social/economic infastructure.

like booze, pot is here and it's not going to go away whether we like it or not.

instead of spending money on the never ending war on drugs, contol it and bring in revenue. cause if your screwing the people with wasted() tax money already, the natives up here may as well be happy taxed through the blow hole natives.

catch my drift?

Vince

i have a therory about moses, the burning bush, and the ten commandments

Re: Ending the recession, i think i figured it out!

Got It.
    Kenneth Collier
    Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
    Jackson, MS 39206
    (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
    drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

You lose me after line 10000000

Get to the point sooner Vince, You know I love you , but that was just way to long
      Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
      New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Vince, this recession is a big problem resulting from many other issues gone out of control. You touched on a few and we could fill up these pages mentioning the rest. Sure some revenue could be generated from legalizing marijuana but then there would be the backlash of accidents and health related illnesses resulting from the increased use. We still would not be addressing all those serious problems that got us into a recession or the answers that will get us out. I'm a broken record here but it just seems that on a larger scale too many American dollars have gone out of our economy along with too many American jobs. We have too many consumers purchasing goods and services on credit that they can't pay back. We are facing some serious times and tough decisions. Globally, there is not enough wealth, food, energy and goods to cover everyone. Some will have to go without and when the dust settles I hope it will not be my family, neighbors and fellow Americans who are the havenots of the global economy.

Comment

According to this document:
          https://www.policyarchive.org/bitstr...pdf?sequence=1

The US Federal Excise Tax on Tobacco only collected $7.2B in FY2000. That works out to about 21 Billion packs of cigarettes @$.34/pack in 2000. I doubt that taxing pot would have an appreciable affect on revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post

The US Federal Excise Tax on Tobacco only collected $7.2B in FY2000. That works out to about 21 Billion packs of cigarettes @$.34/pack in 2000. I doubt that taxing pot would have an appreciable affect on revenue.

But it would relieve the justice system. How many Billions a year spent on, investigating, trial, jailing all because one guy wants to sell weed to another guy.
            Around here, If you molest a kid you more then likely will NOT be sentenced to serve more then 364 days in County( after good time is factored in that works out to about 8mths). Any sentence over 364 days is served in the prison system but because our prisons are clogged up with a bunch of pot heads, the short eyes walk.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I do think some drug laws are dumb, for example preventing farmers from growing hemp seems like a dumb idea to me. I don't have a strong belief one way or another on the issue; but if we are going to talk about revenue generation; we should at least provide some real numbers. The cost savings are tougher to quantify.

Also, tobacco and alcohol are pretty heavily regulated; and I think tending more towards that. You already can't smoke in public buildings (basically anyplace someone else has to work) in NY. Since pot is intoxicating (being the point); obviously in a car would be a no-no. Obviously, there would still be a law enforcement expenditure on enforcing these kind of regulations.

Like I said, I don't feel particularly strongly one way or another; but do think it is worthwhile to point out that this isn't the answer to all (or even many of) our problems.

Comment

That is correct in this example. However, if they taxed cigarettes/booze/and gasoline at the levels in Canada for example, and some other countries, it would be a cash bonanza.

I don't smoke, but a pack here is around $10 for 24 cigarettes. I picked up a 20 pack of beer last night(Rickards) and it was $32. I noticed a Miller Genuine 20 pack was $29. A U.S. gallon of gasoline(regular) is $3.04.

Multiply the tax percentage differences by 300 million people and you've got some healthy revenue.

Then again, you'd probably have rioting in the streets maybe too.........
                I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

While I doubt it would have a significant ecomomic impact, I'm all for decriminalizing marijuana. I'd way rather be driving on the same road with a stoner than a drunk, and the idea of putting law enforcement resources towards prosecuting someone who smokes a little pot once in a while is silly to me.

One thing I remember very clearly from junior high and high school; it was way easier to get pot as a minor than alcohol. The authorities had cracked down hard on liquor stores selling to minors, but the guy selling pot has no liscence to lose. Now as an adult the idea of 13 year olds smoking pot makes me sad and angry, and I think some sort of liscencing would allow more control to keep it away from kids.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Hey

I do appreciate you looking that up, so here > http://flowingdata.com/ < one of my favorite sites

BUT - what I what to know is what the heck you googled to find that
                    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                      BUT - what I what to know is what the heck you googled to find that
                      Something along the lines of "federal tobacco excise tax revenue" or "federal excise tax on tobacco".

Comment

Amsterdam has made Marijuana legal for many years. They also have brothels but that's a separate issue I hear they are shutting down some coffee houses that sell pot trying to reduce organized crime which would also be an issue to deal with here.

Medical marijuana should be more accessible. Not just for cataracts but for some mental patients as well. Sometimes, I feel like being mental

Decriminalize it and the quality will improve. Fines, not jail for less than an ounce in possesion.

I doubt taxing it would create any economic relief

Comment

Working...
                        X