X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those with children...

For those in the trades (plumbing, electrical, hvac, carpentry etc.)

Do you encourage your children to pursue any of the trades?

Clause: Saying you just want them to be happy in whatever they choose doesn't count. That's a given. Everyone consciously or subconsciously influences their kids.

Or do you just concentrate on 4 year institutions?

J.C.

Re: For those with children...

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    For those in the trades (plumbing, electrical, hvac, carpentry etc.)

Do you encourage your children to pursue any of the trades?

Clause: Saying you just want them to be happy in whatever they choose doesn't count. That's a given. Everyone consciously or subconsciously influences their kids.

Or do you just concentrate on 4 year institutions?

J.C.
    Great question and the short answer is I encourage them to do what makes them happy.

Oldest daughter - Went off to a University to be a school teacher. I asked her since she was going through all the work to go to a University perhaps she should set her sights higher. She replied its all she ever wanted to be.

Oldest son - Born wanting to be an Army pilot and is living his dream

Middle son - Still not sure what he wants to be. He has a degree in fire science but after the Air Force took a job as a LEO. Just recently became a pilot flying out to oil platforms. Worked as a plumber for a bit but was more interested in being the boss than the plumber.

Youngest son - Great plumber, went off to school to become a Mechanical Engineer but a few classes short of a degree became a California Highway Patrol Officer and loves what he is doing.

Middle daughter - Preschool teacher for the city but her husband has worked with me a little until my brother helped him get on at the steam plant.

Youngest daughter - Works for a large county program in charge of at-risk-youth for Parks & Rec.

Bottom line, I had a plumbing business I could not give to my kids because they were not interested enough. They all went off to college and they are all living their dreams not mine. Seeing them happy is all that matters but I always thought I was building my business for them to take over.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

since i/ we don't have kids

i do have a decent following of future apprentices.

today just signed up a good brother sister tag team

they'll be 2 next week

everywhere i go, the kids want to watch and help.

we'll see what the future looks like when they turn 12

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I'm pretty sure my 11yr daughter is a born Drain Cleaner.
        She had an after school thing yesterday afternoon so I picked her up and took her to my 4:00 right in town. While we are wrapping up the snake and cleaning off the roots and tp she says "you know what I could go for right now? A cheeseburger from the Mobil station".
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          since i/ we don't have kids

i do have a decent following of future apprentices.

today just signed up a good brother sister tag team

they'll be 2 next week

everywhere i go, the kids want to watch and help.

we'll see what the future looks like when they turn 12

rick.
          I bought some tiny kid work gloves for the little apprentices. Give them a pair of those and they think they have saved the day for mom and dad. I'll let them carry some of the hand tools and such and explain whats going on. $1.89 a pair buys me a lifetime customer with mom/dad and maybe even the little one when they grow up.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

it's a coincidence you bring this up JC.

i used to play "plumber" with my kids when they were toddlers (pull the back of your pants down just enough to show the top of your you know what). everybody got a really good laugh.

i never outwardly encouraged my kids to get into the trades. the canadian government will provide funding to us (inuit) on order to pursue further education. of course you must good marks to be eligible.

my son Vince jr is currently in grade 10 and has entered a program called nunavut early apprenticeship training(N.E.A.T.).

upon graduating from high school and the program, participants will have a level one (1st year) in the trade they happen to pursue.

the drop out rate in nunavut is the highest in the country if not north america. i will be the first to admit that most of my people are riddled with social problems.

the young men end up on on construction sites hired as labourers anyways and i think somewhere along the line somebody finally figured this out.

this will encourage the kids to stay on school and also get a head start in the trades. what a "cool" idea.

Vince

my culture/people have only just recently been introduced to the acedemic education system. many of our retirees were either born on the land or on the ice. my mother was born in a igloo in 1938 at cape dorset, baffin island.

Comment

Whatever my kids wanna do, I'll stand by them, As long as its a legal occupation..... Some people are meant to were a suit all their life, while others do not wanna wear a suit......
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                I'm pretty sure my 11yr daughter is a born Drain Cleaner.
                She had an after school thing yesterday afternoon so I picked her up and took her to my 4:00 right in town. While we are wrapping up the snake and cleaning off the roots and tp she says "you know what I could go for right now? A cheeseburger from the Mobil station".
                That's too funny

I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree

Comment

Maybe it was the dinner table conversation of what went on during the day or the way I smelled or looked when I got home in the evening. We're all put together differently, when I was a kid I would have loved for my father to put me to work. If the choice had been do a report or dig a trench, I would have picked the trench every time. Having gone to school to be an auto mechanic and eventually ending up as a plumbing contractor for 30 years, I was surprised that my middle son was not interested in my established business but instead wanted to be an auto mechanic even after explaining to him that plumbing was easier and could make him more money. We all have to pick our own paths.

Comment

I have three kids-two girls anda boy. The youngest girl is a dental hygenist. (She was just voted hygenist of the year for Minnesota and is President elect of the Minn. Dental hygenist Assn.) The other daughter (middle child) is an art teacher. She has a Master of fine arts and is doing well. (must have gotten that talent from her mother--I can only draw flies) My son followed his father's footsteps to a point. He went into business doing general remodeling and additions. He and his wife worked their butts off 12 to 16 hours a day mostly seven days a week. (I know those of you who are self-employed can relate) He retired at 48. They all chose their own paths, and as you can tell from this post, I am proud as hell of them. End of sermon!

Comment

Being a second generation plumber, I know that all of my kids will have at least a basic knowledge of plumbing and how to cut and ream pipe. I have already taken both kids to work with me(the same day, out of necesity ((wife had to go to ER)not desire) While there, it was pretty much just a meeting with the tile setter, owner, GC and myself to discuss wall thickness, valve placement etc. Before the meeting even had a chance of getting started my daughter was bouncing around on the curb and jumped into the tailgate of the tileguys truck, had a little gouge in her head...Needless to say, she hasn't been back to work with me since, though she does ask pretty regularly.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
                        Being a second generation plumber, I know that all of my kids will have at least a basic knowledge of plumbing and how to cut and ream pipe. I have already taken both kids to work with me(the same day, out of necesity ((wife had to go to ER)not desire) While there, it was pretty much just a meeting with the tile setter, owner, GC and myself to discuss wall thickness, valve placement etc. Before the meeting even had a chance of getting started my daughter was bouncing around on the curb and jumped into the tailgate of the tileguys truck, had a little gouge in her head...Needless to say, she hasn't been back to work with me since, though she does ask pretty regularly.

Greg

She's a natural!
                        I always say 'if you didn"t bleed at work today, then you didn't work hard enough.

Comment

My son is only 5 so I only have him do everything but solder since there's a flame(that was a joke if if you didn't catch on). But he will do manual labor no matter what he wants to do in life. I think the traits done by plumbing are invaluable and are transferrable to all career fields.

Plumbing has taught me persaverance, customer service, practical math, meticilusness(it's a word), hard work is rewarding, etc. These traits and others I didn't mention cannot be taught in a classroom setting.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            My son is only 5 so I only have him do everything but solder since there's a flame(that was a joke if if you didn't catch on). But he will do manual labor no matter what he wants to do in life. I think the traits done by plumbing are invaluable and are transferrable to all career fields.

Plumbing has taught me persaverance, customer service, practical math, meticilusness(it's a word), hard work is rewarding, etc. These traits and others I didn't mention cannot be taught in a classroom setting.
                            "So is meticulousness"

I hear how you talk about your son and I know the type of man you are. There is no question in my mind you will be a big part of who your son turns out to be.

Good job Ben

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I want my kids to know as much as they can

More knowledge, more choices

My son can already name 13 fittings
                              Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                              New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Working...
                              X