X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1940 Barn Dodge!

You have heard stories of barn finds before. Some sound incredible, some unbelievable. But here's one that might top 'em all. It's the true story of one 1940 Dodge Deluxe Sedan.

http://www.californiaclassix.com/arc...odge_c154.html
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: The 1940 Barn Dodge!

Nice pics and story. My dad got me into old rides before they were that popular. A working guy could pick up all kinds of different old/cool cars.

Now that !#$@$! Barrett Jackson rich man's ego show has just ruined alot of it.

Anyway, thanks for the link.

J.C.

Comment

I will confidently say that those are not the original tires on the car. It was very unusual for a set of tires to last more than 10,000 miles.

Those 600x16 bias ply tires were definitely post war product. Tires were extremely hard to get during the war and the good doctor probably had his recapped more than once.

By the way, that's called a neckin' knob. I had one on my 1931 Ford model A. I have heard of people neckin' but never heard of someone called a necker. Chevrolet built on into the steering wheel on some of their cars. It was circular and in place of one of the spokes. You could grab it with your full hand and turn the wheel. It was set in ball bearings. Really neat.

Comment

Are you thinking of a "Brodie Knob" <aka> Necker Knob?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brodie_knob

BHD
        Thanks for starting this thread. It's nice to see some good American history.
        Last edited by Woussko; 12-31-2008, 07:14 PM.

Comment

they were jsut called spinner knobs around here,
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have a 1950 truck with one of these on it. The knob recently broke off it though. I bought a new one to put on this spring.

Heres my theory on these: Many people who drive old cars needed to signal out the window for turning and stopping. With no power steering the steering knob made it easier to signal and turn at the same time.

It is true in my case. I had an electrical problem once while driving and had to revert to hand signals. It worked well.

Heres my truck(it is an old school ride or rat rod, so you have to be into this sort of thing.) Its a 1950 International Harvester pick up. Chopped 8 inches and has a 3" straight stack. Sounds mean!

The 1949 Olds 88 Rocket is mine too but my Dad really drives it more than me.
            Attached Files
            www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

those are some really nice cars/trucks guys.

up here, vehicles only last about 10 years, or one hwt. the fidgid cold does that for some reason. around here, if it doesn't have a dent, your not trying hard enough.

i have to admit, i'm a terrible rubber kneck when i go south. lots of nice cars and trucks.

i don't know about my canadian counterparts, but i've always known those knobs as "suicide knobs". i don't know how they got that name.

thanks for sharing.

Vince

Comment

If you hit something they put a hole in your chest, is why they called a "suicide knob" is the explanation I was given, I was told there were not legal on automobiles any more unless there is some one who has a disability and needs the help, on off road there still legal.

here are some other thoughts on the knob, and the term "suicide knob"
                http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=321496

that old IH pickup is quite a machine,
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                  If you hit something they put a hole in your chest, is why they called a "suicide knob" is the explanation I was given, I was told there were not legal on automobiles any more unless there is some one who has a disability and needs the help, on off road there still legal.

here are some other thoughts on the knob, and the term "suicide knob"
                  http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=321496

that old IH pickup is quite a machine,
                  I've been a member of that forum for a long time as well! It's called the HAMB -Honky *** Message Board- Dedicated to old school hot rodding and such. I'm Jrsaltz there too!
                  www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Working...
                  X