X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No jobs? This guy found one!

Cool story, guy lands a nice job using a sandwich board with: "MIT grad for hire" written on it in black marker. Of course he also had a decent resume, but I think this shows the type af attitude needed to succeed during a recession and high unemployment.
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/12112008...mes_143653.htm
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Re: No jobs? This guy found one!

I guess it's easier for this one well educated man to find a job compared to the millions of folks who are unemployed and have less credentials? Imagine a million people losing their homes and no jobs? Personally I think congress is wasting their time and ours even listening to the auto makers and their requests for a bailout. I think the bigger picture is how to fix our economy and employ Americans so they can afford to buy cars and pay mortgages. Congress and the American public need to admit there was no "fair trade", no "global economy", we were simply shipping our jobs to be done by workers living in poverty while we bought whatever the third world had to offer. Well, the gravy train of American dollars has been derailed. I'm happy for you guys whose jobs can't be outsourced, but that doesn't help the millions who have been let go or the millions who will be! What worked during the last depression, public work programs to employ the masses and build roads prior to industries taking off will not help us this time. I must sound pretty pathetic, but I believe the situation is more serious than most and bail outs or not, going to get worse. What a mess.

Comment

That is the wrong attitude Frankie. Think like a winner. That is the moral of the story. Whining and complaining never fixed anything. This guy was determined and he got what he wanted.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

What this one man did was microscopic, noteworthy but meaningless when held up to the massive problem we are facing. I'm a problem solver, but in order to solve a problem it must first be isolated. Shipping our jobs overseas and south of the border was a losing proposition. Allowing millions of Illegals to enter our country, use our services and avoid supporting our communities was a losing behavior. Winning behavior in my opinion consists of making what you consume and consuming responsibly. I also worked a job that could not be outsourced, and I am safe in my retirement but sad for the millions who will suffer as a result of shortsightedness, stupidity and greed. You can't seriously believe that the mllions of unemployed Americans are lazy or unresourceful ? The power of positive thinking must be combined with responsible behavior and a workable economic plan. I'm not whinning, but the millons of hard working Americans who worked most of their lives only to see their 401K and stocks be trashed along with their retirements have just cause. You are young , healthy and strong as is your family. I have lived through some very difficult situations and my patience for what is happening in our country is worn thin.

Comment

Frankie, I usually agree with you 100 percent, and this time it is about 98. I do have a question for you, tho. Did you send this exact paragraph to your Congressional rep and your Senators? If not, why not? Just posting it on this forum isn't going to do it.

Comment

I think the sign thing is a stunt, but a realistic point is that he did sacrifice while looking for a job. His family has been living in Nebraska for a year (because it is cheap compared to NYC) while he has been looking for work. The other important point, I think, is that he didn't give up; he kept at it until he succeeded.

Comment

Franki. What I've found in my little plumbing world is that in anything you do there are always, always, always obstacles. Sometime small-and sometimes large. Sometimes completely unfair.

The successful survivors always find their way around these "problems" often turning them into opportunities.

And on your side of things, I've been saying some of the same things for years. EVERY economy must manufacture something and have a full range of employment to be functioning with a reasonable amount of peace.

J.C.

Comment

Tacky!

A professional person holding a sign, for a job, is not professional. This was tacky and trashy. If he got a job with a sign, why could he not get a job the conventional way.

My feelings are the person (or company) who hired him, most likely, did it 'on-the-fly', perhaps for the publicity, in jest, or some other strange reason. I think the guy is a jerk, and would never hire a professional who appears so hard-up.

Would you rather hire someone, who everyone else wants to hire, or a guy nobody wants to hire.

Sorry! This story rubs me the wrong way. I don't think it is humorous. He is the reason this country is having economic problems. Let us, at least, go down with a little class.

Comment

Americans are lazy, that's it in a nutshell.

They pay workers at McDonald's/Burger King, Rally's, all those places nearly $10/hour and they still don't show up.

If you're trying to make a career, raise a family and have a house on $10/hour then you're dreaming, living outside reality.

The work ethic of americans has been getting deplorable over the years and it is getting progressively worse. If they can't take off once a week for doctor's appointment, take their wife/daughter to go pick up their car in the shop, take the dog to a vet, list goes on and on and on and on.

You get that attitude rolling and the company you work for cannot depend on you. If you show up late, constantly sick, finding excuses to not work solidly, well then you have the reason why your job is GONE. Somebody who DOES want to work non-stop and work like a pack mule sits over in India doing your job for 1/6th the cost......and get this,

shows up for work! Fancy that! Actually asks for more hours too. Can't have that with the 40 and out crowd.

I know this from both sides of the fence, so no one is going to tell me I haven't experienced the down side of hiring help. Everybody wants $40/hour with all benefits but will you get them to show up monday morning?

Who knows, depends on how much money they are sitting "comfortably" on after that trip to the mountains this weekend and think.....eeeeeeehhh maybe we'll just squeeze one more day out, boss won't mind he makes all kinds of money, ain't paying me enough.

Insubordination is what it's called in a nutshell. Even your best workers screw up from time to time, and save the golden employee story for someone that gives a flying f**k because it isn't me....I'm talking the majority of it all.

People don't have the incentive to push harder to keep their job....they do enough to get by most times and given the profession they've chosen, it's a job and they do it.

America did this to themselves, not the big corporate model. Act like you want to outperform the guy standing next to you and then you've got a reason for an american worker to not lose their job.

But the taste of cheap labor is too much to resist now. Majority of lawncare businesses in my area are mostly comprised of mexicans.

Those guys are some of the most hardcore workers I've ever seen. They don't talk much, certainly don't eat much, live for 14 hour days and some of the most cherished 'family' oriented people I've ever seen. They love to work. Something we've lost our shirt off our backs years ago when these last 4 generations started to lean back on their parents when they fell.

I enjoy being a workaholic. I thrive on it and 3 businesses will do that to you. I'm the exception to the rule in many sorts, but I'm guilty of being a bad employee myself.....mainly due to health conditions. If I was a healthy bird, I'd be a whole lot farther in my endeavors than where I'm at now, and I got a loooooooong ways to go before I fulfill my life's goals.

I've had help along the way but that help is anchored that I love what I do, and I know how to materialize business moves that generate cash flow. Being a plumber is just a small part of a big equation. The trade itself to me is fairly simplistic, especially on the residential level by far. Only reason I don't expand on bigger more difficult jobs is one primary reason; money and the people I have to grip their neck and choke the life out of them to get my damn money when I do the work and expect to get paid just like the rest of you and me.
                  Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 12-11-2008, 11:01 PM.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                    Frankie, I usually agree with you 100 percent, and this time it is about 98. I do have a question for you, tho. Did you send this exact paragraph to your Congressional rep and your Senators? If not, why not? Just posting it on this forum isn't going to do it.
                    I wrote my honest opinions to Congressman Christopher Shays R-CT, many times and he did respond. Although he did not get re-elected I got the feeling as an individuals some of these legislators are very bright and agressive in putting forth bills. I think the problem is that they don't work together and work fast enough to see results. He would write to me in response of the bills he supported or proposed to resolve some of the issues but they amounted to nothing, so what was the point? He would hold town meetings and could really work the crowd, never at a loss for words and very charasmatic. I post here not to resolve important issues but for the stimulating interaction. I want to hear other viewpoints and understand how other folks see the same subject.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                      Americans are lazy, that's it in a nutshell.

They pay workers at McDonald's/Burger King, Rally's, all those places nearly $10/hour and they still don't show up.

If you're trying to make a career, raise a family and have a house on $10/hour then you're dreaming, living outside reality.

The work ethic of americans has been getting deplorable over the years and it is getting progressively worse. If they can't take off once a week for doctor's appointment, take their wife/daughter to go pick up their car in the shop, take the dog to a vet, list goes on and on and on and on.

You get that attitude rolling and the company you work for cannot depend on you. If you show up late, constantly sick, finding excuses to not work solidly, well then you have the reason why your job is GONE. Somebody who DOES want to work non-stop and work like a pack mule sits over in India doing your job for 1/6th the cost......and get this,

shows up for work! Fancy that! Actually asks for more hours too. Can't have that with the 40 and out crowd.

I know this from both sides of the fence, so no one is going to tell me I haven't experienced the down side of hiring help. Everybody wants $40/hour with all benefits but will you get them to show up monday morning?

Who knows, depends on how much money they are sitting "comfortably" on after that trip to the mountains this weekend and think.....eeeeeeehhh maybe we'll just squeeze one more day out, boss won't mind he makes all kinds of money, ain't paying me enough.

Insubordination is what it's called in a nutshell. Even your best workers screw up from time to time, and save the golden employee story for someone that gives a flying f**k because it isn't me....I'm talking the majority of it all.

People don't have the incentive to push harder to keep their job....they do enough to get by most times and given the profession they've chosen, it's a job and they do it.

America did this to themselves, not the big corporate model. Act like you want to outperform the guy standing next to you and then you've got a reason for an american worker to not lose their job.

But the taste of cheap labor is too much to resist now. Majority of lawncare businesses in my area are mostly comprised of mexicans.

Those guys are some of the most hardcore workers I've ever seen. They don't talk much, certainly don't eat much, live for 14 hour days and some of the most cherished 'family' oriented people I've ever seen. They love to work. Something we've lost our shirt off our backs years ago when these last 4 generations started to lean back on their parents when they fell.

I enjoy being a workaholic. I thrive on it and 3 businesses will do that to you. I'm the exception to the rule in many sorts, but I'm guilty of being a bad employee myself.....mainly due to health conditions. If I was a healthy bird, I'd be a whole lot farther in my endeavors than where I'm at now, and I got a loooooooong ways to go before I fulfill my life's goals.

I've had help along the way but that help is anchored that I love what I do, and I know how to materialize business moves that generate cash flow. Being a plumber is just a small part of a big equation. The trade itself to me is fairly simplistic, especially on the residential level by far. Only reason I don't expand on bigger more difficult jobs is one primary reason; money and the people I have to grip their neck and choke the life out of them to get my damn money when I do the work and expect to get paid just like the rest of you and me.
                      I won't argue that some Americans are lazy and spoiled, you and I agree on many things incuding how hard working the Mexicans are at the moment. I remember many times when we would have to wait until a trench was dug before we could place a cable and back then it was Irish, Italian immigrants and Black men who broke their backs and did not let up or complain. Given time each minority or group new to our country climbs the ladder of success and at some point their offspring move on. Some guys are indestructable and work hard untl they die, most like myself accumulate injuries during their lives and slow down or stop. Working a sixteen pound sledge hammer, shouldering a telephone pole into a backyard and various other "needs of the job" have left me a wreck. You give those hearty , hard working Mexicans enough time and they will grow old and injured as well. Will they get social security if they did not pay into it? No matter. You and I don't agree on why all those jobs got shipped to mexico and the third world. You blame lazy Americans and I blame greedy corporations and stupid Americans who did not see where this would lead us. So enjoy that big screen tv and the rest of the junk made by those hard working slaves, while the lazy Americans lose their homes and go on unemployment. I would bet my life that there were plenty of dedicated hardworking Americans who loved their jobs but lost them to the cheap labor and nonexistent goverment agencies such as OSHA and the EPA of the third world and mexico.Just my opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        I would bet my life that there were plenty of dedicated hardworking Americans who loved their jobs but lost them to the cheap labor and nonexistent goverment agencies such as OSHA and the EPA of the third world and mexico.Just my opinions.
                        You may be right, in a way, but don't forget what the owners of the meat packing plants said, when they got raided by the INS. They said they could not find anyone to do the jobs of the Hispanics, regardless of how much they paid.

Don't always think that the Hispanics are underpaid. These people can work in 120 degree heat, picking fruit and earn $1500 to $2500 per week because they get paid by the piece, peck, or bushel. They can walk in a squatting position for 10 to 12 hours as they pick strawberries. No other race will work the farms for no amount of money. They would drop dead like flies. There are many gardeners that make more than plumbers. Some of these gardeners have over 200 accounts. The average home pays $75 to $100 and commercial accounts pay several thousand dollars every month. It is not uncommon for a Hispanic gardener to earn more than $20,000 per month. Again, most Americans would drop dead if they pushed a lawnmower in the sun and heat every day.

From the day an American is born the parents tell us we need to be thinkers and not workers. We are told that hard work will only give us a broken back and the richest people are salesmen, investors, government officials, and CEO's. No American wants his child to work for GM, on an assembly line, for 30 years. I would have to say that Americans are getting what we asked for.

Isn't it strange that Honda and GM each made 9.3 million cars in 2007. Honda made a $17 billion profit and GM lost $34 billion. If GM were to do what Honda did, they would have to increase their profit by $51 billion more than in 2007. I have mixed emotions about the bailout. I would love to see the government save-the-day and we all live happy ever after, but it ain't going to happen. We need a cure and not a money infusion. I envision every fat GM worker dancing around with the money and partying like Rodney King, after he got his $3 million. Point? Money did not make Rodney King smarter. Money will not make GM smarter.
                        Last edited by BatonRougePlumber; 12-12-2008, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BatonRougePlumber View Post
                          You may be right, in a way, but don't forget what the owners of the meat packing plants said, when they got raided by the INS. They said they could not find anyone to do the jobs of the Hispanics, regardless of how much they paid.

Don't always think that the Hispanics are underpaid. These people can work in 120 degree heat, picking fruit and earn $1500 to $2500 per week because they get paid by the piece, peck, or bushel. They can walk in a squatting position for 10 to 12 hours as they pick strawberries. No other race will work the farms for no amount of money. They would drop dead like flies. There are many gardeners that make more than plumbers. Some of these gardeners have over 200 accounts. The average home pays $75 to $100 and commercial accounts pay several thousand dollars every month. It is not uncommon for a Hispanic gardener to earn more than $20,000 per month. Again, most Americans would drop dead if they pushed a lawnmower in the sun and heat every day.

From the day an American is born the parents tell us we need to be thinkers and not workers. We are told that hard work will only give us a broken back and the richest people are salesmen, investors, government officials, and CEO's. No American wants his child to work for GM, on an assembly line, for 30 years. I would have to say that Americans are getting what we asked for.

Isn't it strange that Honda and GM each made 9.3 million cars in 2007. Honda made a $17 billion profit and GM lost $34 billion. If GM were to do what Honda did, they would have to increase their profit by $51 billion more than in 2007. I have mixed emotions about the bailout. I would love to see the government save-the-day and we all live happy ever after, but it ain't going to happen. We need a cure and not a money infusion. I envision every fat GM worker dancing around with the money and partying like Rodney King, after he got his $3 million. Point? Money did not make Rodney King smarter. Money will not make GM smarter.
                          Blacks picked cotton, fruit and other produce for hundreds of years, I know many Italian gardeners and landscapers. To assume Mexicans are some super race because they are willing to work hard is not accurate. I knew a couple guys who worked on the assembly line at GM in Tarrytown NY and they were not fat! Instead of imaging that autoworkers are fat, why not visit a plant and learn? Rodney King deserved to be arrested, but he was beaten like an animal from what I saw. Do you think the cops who took turns beating him instead of wrestling him down and putting on the handcuffs learned anything? Without all the facts and figures that comparison between honda and gm doesn't mean much, it's like saying an illegal and American worker made the same money but the illegal saved more. Well, the American paid taxes and supported his family in this society and standard of living not in poverty. I agree that Americans are getting some payback for allowing all those jobs to leave and not anticipating the results. Swingline Stapler used to be located in Queens NY and employed thousands of Americas who supported families, paid mortgages and bought cars and other consumer goods. One day Swingline picked up and moved to Mexico for the cheap labor, it wasn't because their American workers were lazy or fat! We are simply stupid to think we can have other folks doing our work and making the products we consume. If we don't change this behavior, we will become extinct.

Comment

If it worked, then good for him.

There is still a major shortish of jobs though with more people being laid off all the time.
                            People who search for IT Jobs typically find Jobs in IT

Comment

A couple weeks ago a guy I know just casually told me he couldn't find a job as a truck driver. I told him about a driving job that is a dream job available to almost everyone with a commercial drivers license: you name your own hours; drive for the day, be gone for a couple days or work as a road man and be gone for a week or more; type of truck you want to drive, eg straight van truck, tractor trailer etc and more. You get the picture.

I saw the guy last night and he was a again complaining he couldn't find a job. I asked him if he investigated the job I told him about and he said, "No." and began to ask me more questions about the job: "... any New York city driving." "...do they pay overload tickets?" The guy has a million reasons to not work steadily. He would rather work for $13.50 under the table 5-10 hours every other week than have a steady job.

I unloaded on him big time. He is a lazy slug.

I remember from High School History classes how immigrants, in their country of origin, were lead to believe the streets in The United States were paved with gold. Well as far as I am concerned they still are. But you have to have a little initiative and bend down and pick it up. Someplace along the line the bending down part has become a lost concept.

Sorry to vent, but I am still angry at this guy's attitude.

Tom
                              Last edited by Tom W; 03-03-2009, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X