NY Gov Proposes Tax on Soda

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NY Gov Proposes Tax on Soda

The only reason the tax would make sense is if you where to used these 15% to directly combat obesity or tooth decay, or even to open free to low cost gyms and aquatic center for children and adults, but since they will wasted on pork barrell and the like it's pointless. Also why should they be allowed to direct you to buy a "potential" cancer causeing alternative by making the "safer" chioce more expensive?

That's just like when they tried to hike the tax on cigarettes to give healthcare to illegal immigrants. If you tax smokes more then use it to help smokers stop and to treat those with cancer.

Comment

An even larger list of new taxes
      http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...new_york.html:
      Additional items the state is considering raising fees and taxes on:
      An "iPod tax" that charges state and local sales tax for "digitally delivered entertainment services" - in other words, that new Beyonce song you download.
      State sales tax at movie theaters, sporting events, taxis, buses, limousines and cable and satellite TV and radio.
      Costlier driving with the repeal of the 8-cents-per-gallon sales tax cap on motor and diesel motor fuel, plus and increase in the auto rental tax.
      Tuition increases at SUNY and CUNY, $620 and $600 a year respectively.
      A 50 cent tax on cigars. The current tax is equal to 37% of the wholesale price, or 34 cents a cigar.
      No more sales tax break on clothes and shoes worth $110 or less, except during two weeks a year.
      Higher taxes on wine, beer and flavored malt beverages. He would also impose an 18% tax on non-nutritional drinks like soda.
      The rich would pay more for luxury items through an additional 5% tax imposed on cars costing more than $60,000, aircraft costing more than $500,000, yachts costing at least $200,000 and jewelry and furs costing in excess of $20,000.
      In addition, a host of a fees, including those related to motor vehicle licensing and registration, parks and auto insurance, would go up, as would various state-imposed fines.
      God forbid you buy a soda at a movie. Increasing gas prices is also just what we need. In the article the State conservative party chairman said this just sends a message to go to NJ to shop and he is absolutely right.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
        In Maine a dentist is trying to get a law passed that bans the sale of soda while paying with food stamps. I think it's a good thing but I'd also like to see it extended to Lobster, t-bone steaks, any high price non essential items, chips, and junk food.
        But lobster in some places is cheaper than lean ground beef...........

What if I forego the melted butter and buy some cheaper wine.....?

These welfare check/food stamp rules are so damn confusing!!
        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

This whole thread is making me hungry, for soda and salty snacks Name:  8faa34de344884c7bcc89942c8ea9e6a.gif
Views: 2
Size:  1.2 KB
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
            An even larger list of new taxes
            http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...new_york.html:

God forbid you buy a soda at a movie. Increasing gas prices is also just what we need. In the article the State conservative party chairman said this just sends a message to go to NJ to shop and he is absolutely right.
            Hey CPW .

What will they do about vending machines?

Will they retro-fit all the soda machines in NYS

Or will Coke and Pepsi just invent a new product for NYS

Called "no so diet"

Comment

The vending machines should be easy, they can already charge different prices for most products on them. Instead of $.80 cents for a can of pepsi it will be $1.00, but they can keep the diet $0.80. They could also just raise the price of everything to $1.00 and take more profit on the diet ... There is already tax on it when you buy it at the vending machine; so I don't see the problem.

My son's apple juice has 31 g of sugar in 8 ounces (all natural no sugar added) which is more than Coca-cola. Does that mean we need a 15% apple juice tax?

Edit: 18% now.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                The vending machines should be easy, they can already charge different prices for most products on them. Instead of $.80 cents for a can of pepsi it will be $1.00, but they can keep the diet $0.80. They could also just raise the price of everything to $1.00 and take more profit on the diet ... There is already tax on it when you buy it at the vending machine; so I don't see the problem.

My son's apple juice has 31 g of sugar in 8 ounces (all natural no sugar added) which is more than Coca-cola. Does that mean we need a 15% apple juice tax?

Edit: 18% now.
                I have never seen a multi-price soda machine just snacks but I believe you but that is still going to cost Coke / Pepsi to retrofit that stuff.

Yea, and I agree what about all the Capt Crunch fans, that too has more sugar

What about if your a diabetic and need coke once and a while to bring up your sugar.....

Its a mess the whole thing

Comment

Working...
                X