X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Gov Proposes Tax on Soda

Gov. Patterson is proposing a tax of 15% on non-diet soda. Darn Nanny state. I didn't have strong feelings about this guy, but now I hate him.

http://www.timesunion.com/ASPStories...StoryID=750267

Re: NY Gov Proposes Tax on Soda

I will bet that Illinois will trade you....

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
      I will bet that Illinois will trade you....

Comment

I think in an effort to generate revenue, they are grabbing at straws.
        I think I made a funny? Straws..soda..soda straws. Oh well, it's gonna take a lot more than that to save the day.

Comment

Well, even though in Ohio it's POP, I still say soda. Native New Jersey-ian at heart.

Anyway, Ohio has sales tax on soda. Never really noticed until one day I had to go to store JUST for soda...

And saw the tax. TURKEY'S!

Cathy

Learnat least one NEWtopic daily!

Comment

Originally posted by henneca View Post
            Well, even though in Ohio it's POP, I still say soda. Native New Jersey-ian at heart.

Anyway, Ohio has sales tax on soda. Never really noticed until one day I had to go to store JUST for soda...

And saw the tax. TURKEY'S!

Cathy
            I don't mind the 8% sales tax on the soda; there is a sales tax on all prepared food. What I mind is that the governor thinks he should charge me 15% extra because I prefer real sugar (really high-fructose corn syrup) over artificial sweetener.

Comment

I am of the opinion that NY has got to be the highest taxed state in the country. One thing I hate is the amount of so-call "Sin Taxes" that get leveled on products like alchoholic beverages, cigarettes, etc. Can we count "soda" among those? Even though I don't smoke, (or hardly drink for that matter), I think it's a sin to slap the consumer with these kind of taxes.

(I especially feel that way about cigarettes. While I've never smoked and know that my father passed away from lung cancer, to place these exobitantantly high taxes on cigarettes is deplorable, in my opinion. It makes me feel that cigarettes will be around forever, because the government pimps billions off the habit.)

But even with all that, the state can't begin to pay for itself. It's been deplorably managed and the government is little more than a bunch of self-serving clueless idiots, regardless of party. It hands out money for infrastructure projects that it can't possibly support in the future and it robs existing maintenance accounts to subsidize further projects. A good example of that is the state thruway system which is one of the worst in the country and the rest of the highway system is worse.

Here in Painted Post, they just spent millions for a massive project where route 15 and route 17/86 join. We had a traffic circle (actually oval) that served the juncture; and though it was somewhat antiquated, it served the purpose, was easy to maintain, and over the thirty years that I've lived here, there were no fatalities. Lot's of bitches about it though as occasionally we'd have a truck come into it too fast and flip over.

Now they have a series of bridges, crossovers, etc. All high speed stuff. But what a nightmare it is now. Three years of traffic jams, and countless millions spent. We'll never be able to pay for the long term maintenance and already we've had three fatalities, when a truck went off one of bridge curves, through the rails, and plunged down on top of a family van.

It's no joke of course, but I guess it takes millions of NY taxes to get such fatal results. As it stands now, we can barely pay for the additional salt, sand, and vehicles to keep the thing de-iced in winter.

It was just finished this past summer and the new sidewalks, community bridge, and all those flowers and new grasses that were planted were left to whither and die, as the local town can't afford to keep everything watered, mowed, or sidewalks swept. With this past week's snow, I see people jogging in the roadway because the town can't afford to plough the walkway. This whole thing is just one big joke and it cost the taxpayers plenty.

Bottom line is that NY is really good at handing out money for all kinds of local and state projects and needs. The problem is they have no sense of ROI, nor do they do any analysis of future maintenance cost or even followup as to whether the project was completed properly. Just in my limited travels, the number of projects over the last forty years has seen unimaginable waste and absolutely NO accountability.

CWS

Comment

Crazy stuff.

AS a resident of NY myself, I always wonder what's going to be taxed next......guess soda was next...

Like they say on NY Fox news "Who Knew?".....lol

Good thing I drink diet
                Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                  Gov. Patterson is proposing a tax of 15% on non-diet soda. Darn Nanny state. I didn't have strong feelings about this guy, but now I hate him.

http://www.timesunion.com/ASPStories...StoryID=750267
                  You've got an addiction and your drug price just went up!

J.C.

Comment

another good reason to live here. NO sales tax. all imported goods have a 4 1/2% excise tax that is added to the retail cost. but no additional taxes are added. i still am stunned when i'm stateside and put an item on the counter and the clerk quotes me a price higher than the sticker. oh, yeah. sales tax

steve
                    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

It makes me feel that cigarettes will be around forever, because the government pimps billions off the habit.
                      I think you have something there. I remember NJ raising their tax ion smokes a few years ago and part of the reason they gave was that people were smoking less, so they had to raise the tax to make up the difference. What a crock!! Just proves that their intent was to bilk smokers, not impose a tax that would discourage cigarette use.

I think they should tax beer. They should put a $0.25/can or bottle tax on beer. That would raise $1.50/six pack. The tax should also be applied to every glass or mug sold.

Many more people drink beer than smoke now a days, so there is a great deal of money to be misdirected to pork barrel projects and junkets to who knows where.

If they are going to tax one vice then they should have to apply equal taxes to all vices, otherwise it is not fair.

Now...when you put a 'sin tax' on every vice out there, you're gonna have a bunch of unhappy voters, and the taxes WILL go away -or- the politicians who made them will be going away.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Just be thankful you even have a Governor

Washington DC residents are taxed without representation

With a non-voting member in the House of Delegates and no represenatative in the Senate this is our tax stucture:
                        • 5.75 percent for tangible personal property.
                        • 9 percent for alcohol sold for off-premises consumption
                        • 10 percent for restaurant meals , take-out food , rental cars and telephone calling cards
                        • 12 percent for commercial parking
                        • 14.5 percent for hotel and motel rooms

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          Just be thankful you even have a Governor

Washington DC residents are taxed without representation

With a non-voting member in the House of Delegates and no represenatative in the Senate this is our tax stucture:
                          • 5.75 percent for tangible personal property.
                          • 9 percent for alcohol sold for off-premises consumption
                          • 10 percent for restaurant meals , take-out food , rental cars and telephone calling cards
                          • 12 percent for commercial parking
                          • 14.5 percent for hotel and motel rooms
                          That just ain't right. It's time for this to change.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

In Maine a dentist is trying to get a law passed that bans the sale of soda while paying with food stamps. I think it's a good thing but I'd also like to see it extended to Lobster, t-bone steaks, any high price non essential items, chips, and junk food.
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                              In Maine a dentist is trying to get a law passed that bans the sale of soda while paying with food stamps. I think it's a good thing but I'd also like to see it extended to Lobster, t-bone steaks, any high price non essential items, chips, and junk food.
                              I've been shopping like that for a while now, it's called living within your means. I agree that the idea of food stamps was to provide for essentials, not the extravagant.

Comment

Working...
                              X