X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm movin' on

Ok, where do I start…. I have been doing construction since 1980, many phases of construction, also commercial and residential. I did everything I could to keep my business thriving for 18 yrs, especially this past year. I would do everything I could, to make myself a better person and business man and have the cleanest most respected company around here. Some years were awesome and other years I didn’t profit as well as I expected too, but that comes with the territory of owning a business.

Well that wasn’t good enough, our economy out did me and almost caused a marriage to fail, mine. I spent a lot of money to turn my business in other directions to meet the demands of certain needs in my business. I did it at the wrong time though, my timing was wrong and it was a big mistake.

For the past couple of years I had to down size for one reason or another, but this year I said I’m going to bring it back and I tried, but I did not win. So boys and girls, I threw in the towel and straightened out my finances and closed up the business, but I’ll keep all of my licenses. Because one day, who knows I may be back.

I’m just sort of tired of construction, felt a little depressed (not enough to knock this boy down though) and now I’m going to venture elsewhere that has nothing to do with construction. For the 3rd time this year, I went to another school, a trucking school. I finished the school at the end of November and passed my CDL, now I have another license to venture with. I passed my DOT physical and HazMat criminal background check, I am good to go.

I have been back home, closing up the business and tiding up personal stuff, then I was going to hit the job finding sidewalk. As soon as I started to look, my oldest boy ended up in an emergency surgery situation, which just postponed my job search. Surgery went fine, he’s fine and recovered now. So I guess I’ll wait it out until the holidays are over and the trucking companies are ready to start hiring at the beginning of the year.

I will be looking at OTR (over the road) for at least a one year period, I’ll need the miles under my belt before I can really look for anything local. Who knows, I might actually enjoy it out there and wanna stay out there. I’ll be seeing more of America in a few weeks time, than most people ever will in their entire life. California, Florida, Home, NYC, Canada, Home, Louisiana, Virginia, and so on, now doesn’t that sound like fun, and I’ll be paid for it. I know, it’s not really as glamorous as it sounds, but there is some strong truth in it.

I know I could keep going with my business and rebound, which I have done on a few occasions in the past. But I feel like I need to move on and try something new. My wife has agreed to this and my kids are getting older and they also said it was fine. If there's any complications in my family life, I’ll get my butt right back home and find a local trucking job, or start my business all over again. Funny thing is, I sort of went through this not long ago and dropped my residential license. But I was going through withdrawals you could say, and wanted back into construction. So once again, I got my license back and started up again.

This time, I’m done for at least a year period. I used to travel when I was growing up, being an Air Force brat, we moved all over the world and I saw many state here in the US. Now I’ll get to see the states as an adult and meet many new, soon to be friends. Heck, maybe I can find the time and meet a few of my imaginary internet friends here from Ridgid. Now that would make us real friends, right? I meant to write about all of this a while back, but because so much is going on and I wanted to make sure I was not going to back out of this, thus I finally wrote about it. Since I was in school, I have turned down, so many jobs, they we’re just pouring in, "go figure". But this was a little too late, my mind is made up. Funny thing is, I did that lead abatement course this past fall for bidding on Govt. jobs. I had to turn down 4 jobs in the past month, "ouch" that one sort of hurt. And that’s because 2 1/2 of those jobs would have matched my trucking income for the whole year. But sometimes its not about money, but about being happy and committed to what your doing and that my friends is a fact. And I am committed to do trucking for a company who is willing to hire me.

I bought a brand new laptop, and I’ll be able to pop in here from time to time while driving around the country, providing I do find a job (anybody looking to hire a CDL student graduate?). So if I happen to be in your area and we both know this, maybe I can meet some of you for coffee, in Ricks case it's Ice Cream I'm sure, but I also like Ice Cream, who doesn't…

So that’s that, wish me luck everyone. Also, Adam because I’ll be the lowwwwww man on the totem pole (way down there buddy ), finding time off to go to the Ridgid gathering is almost impossible for me this coming year. Believe me, I have been looking forward to being there. But I'm afraid I won’t be getting vacation time the first year, in fact any company I work for will be running me nonstop, I’m sure. But that’s alright with me, I’m used to working long hours and many days. Sorry if this is to long, but I even cut out a lot of other stuff just to keep it this short. Thanks for reading, you all….. Mark

PS, If you own a trucking company and can manage to get me back home in Northern MN, from time to time and you need a driver, I NEED A JOB!!!! , oh ya, tuition reimbursement would be cool too.... I ready to fill out those applications.....

And just because I'll be a trucker, doesn't mean I don't know how to build anymore, or how to operate tools and equipment. Ridgid, does this mean I won't be buying your tools no more. Well I can assure you that I'm still addicted to tools & equipments and will be buying plenty more in the future.... You got that right.....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: I'm movin' on

I have two people I know doing the same as you. So far they like it. I'll see if I can get you the company contact info tomorrow.
    Mike

Comment

garager, I wish you all the best in your upcoming job search. As tight as the job market is, I'm sure that with all your business experience and most of all your work ethic that you'll find one in no time.

It's a shame that you couldn't keep your business going and unfortunately there are many other great companies out there that are in the same boat. The economy will bounce back but alas too late for many.

Through your postings, you've always impressed me as having your head screwed on very tightly so I'm sure you'll land on your feet running. Good luck and keep us posted on your travels.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

What a post! You are quite a guy to have the strength and drive to venture into such a different line of work. All your experience and knowledge in construction will remain as you grow in this new job. I wish good employment opportunities, gentle roads and good people in your travels.

Comment

Mark, I'm shocked but not surprised. I know that area of the country has been hit pretty hard and you are one of many to feel the pain of this downturn.

We wish you all the best in your coming endeavor and keep us updated as to your whereabouts.

So what kind of wheels will you be driving? Big rigs?

Someone else on here was driving trucks for a while. Was it OldSlowChevy?

Anything I can do for a "brutha" let me know

Now I have that stupid song in my head "On the Road Again"...who is that?... Willie Nelson?
          Last edited by plumberscrack; 12-18-2008, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Mark,

When you get out towards Los Angeles make sure you let the West Coast guys know.

Good luck - Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

One door closes...another opens. Good luck in this new chapter in your life. May it bring you blessings.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Garager,

You have my sincerest best wishes for success in your future endeavor.

I was a road man for a number of years, 'teamed it' for almost seven years with three different guys. My former teammates and I are still great friends.

There is nothing I can think of that compares to the sight while heading west, at daybreak, on a spring morning. The sun is at your back and makes each drop of dew sparkle on the newly greened grass. Beautiful. Driving in the mountains when you think you are in fog and suddenly you break out and realize you are above the clouds. Breathtaking. Driving through the mountains in West Virginia and seeing small villages in a distance with the church steeples sticking up will bring tears to your eyes. Even New York City has its sights. Not so much the tourist destinations, but the alcoholics still light trash cans on fire and stand around them warming their hands as they pass a bottle among themselves. Hookers at the tunnel crossings and in the South Bronx standing in the middle of an intersection with nothing on but a pair of shoes might make you wonder how things got so bad in their lives.

You will see things most people only hear about.

Oh, it is work and sometimes a lot of work, but all in all driving is a pretty good life. I hope you are able to check in here occasionally to let us know how you are doing.

Keep well,
                -Tom
                Last edited by Tom W; 12-18-2008, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Just curious?

Why not apply with Ridgid?...another tool company....etc ....On site GC ....Bl

A man with your long years of service & experience could fit right in the tool development / testing area.

I dont know you , but from what I just read the trucking move is certainly the wrong one......

I seriously would re-think what you are about to do ...

Anyhow, I wish I could have got to know you better , Hit me up on that laptop when you get rollin

Sorry if you get upset by my comments its just me....and who I am, and I can see REMARKABLE when most can't and you my friend are remarkable

I just hate to see your awesomeness get wasted in a truck!!!!!!!!
                  Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                  New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Garager,

I wish you the best of luck in your new venture,

My son has had a tough time of it as well, He was doing scrap iron, and got him self a small semi, and we found a good old Champ fork lift and he had a one ton diesel pickup, and a 24 foot dove tail trailer for moving the forklift around, and his summer about the time of the Olympics, he loaded up 40,000 pounds of scrap in his trailer and called up and found out the price had dropped in half, they thought after the Olympics things would pick up so he parked his truck at my place for a few days, and it is still stetting here.

So he got a job welding and fabricating at one of the local welding shops, there were about 4 shops when together building oil well drilling rigs, they were on rig #3 and had 7 units total in the agreemnet, he worked there for close to 2 months and the representative of the oil company came in and said were canceling rig #7, and then two weeks later the rep came back in and said finish up what your working on, and everything else is on hold indefinitely.

So my son finished out the week and they finished up the work on that part of the project, and he talked to a trucker across the lot, and he is now driving truck, he had enough experience with his own truck to make the guy happy and he is doing basically doing one day hauls mostly hauling grain and rock, so far that job looks like it will hold for him.

Hope you find a good job soon,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Best wishes

Comment

Going to miss your posts and sage advice. Good luck on the open road. After you get that first year under your belt, it will be good to have the options of more than one marketable talent. In today's world, you may be swapping back and forth or combining the two before all is said and done.

Good Luck, Friend

Go
                        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Now that was alot of thanks, thanks everybody.

Big Rigs I'll be driving, 53' Van first, then I wanna move onto flatbeds and then Lowboys, for those special equipments, but I'll need some serious hours under my belt to get there..

PlumbingSkool, Na no talent being wasted, sometimes we need to expand our visions and guys, I can always go back to building, but I'm tired of it too. Its a career change, many people do this, and its something I am now looking forward to do.

Tom, what a great way to put it, wonderful....

I will be coming into Ridgids forum, but just not as often. I'll even probably post a lot of pictures, anyone ever seen a tree grow out of a rock, or seen the kissing camel, or the infamous Donners Pass, that truckers hate. I hope I don't see the later one actually, or even Loveland Pass in a fully load trailer. Not in my first year anyhow.

But I gotta tell ya, when I go to learn how to do something, I latch on like a leach and try to learn every aspect about it. Even though I'm not driving right now, I am reading everything I can and talking shop with the boys, listening and learning, even at the age of 46. Amazing, we are never to old for that....

Thanks again....
                          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Do you have a laptop with wi-fi?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              Do you have a laptop with wi-fi?
                              Brand spanking new, with Microsoft Street and Trip with a GPS unit to boot. So I can find myself anywhere and I can find you anywhere, as long as theres an address.

Comment

Working...
                              X