Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merry...

Originally posted by darius View Post
    Actually, it could be argued that Santa is not just a myth. Some might even make a good case for baby Jesus being more of a myth than Santa ever was. The tradition originates from Saint Nicholas, a historic figure. Historicity of Jesus (as presented in the New Testament) is still debated.

Where the confusion and myths start are the dates of the present giving and the mixture of German pre-Christian tradition.

St. Nicks's day is properly celebrated on Dec 6th, as per Catholic tradition and in some countries this is a day when children get their presents (placed under pillows, or under their beds). The Santa of Dec 24th is really the Germanic god Odin. later somewhat "christianized" into Santa. The influence of this Odin fella is so strong that even where Dec 6th is traditionally celebrated, presents are also given on Dec 24th or 25th. As a kid I loved that

Merry Christmas All.
    I don't hate to break this to you but the historicity of Jesus (as presented in the New Testament) is only debated by gnostics and the people at Time magazine.
    Merry Christmas to all.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
      I don't hate to break this to you but the historicity of Jesus (as presented in the New Testament) is only debated by gnostics and the people at Time magazine.
      If you understand the word "debate" in this context then you will know that it requires opposing views. That makes your statement incorrect. Still funny though.

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
      Merry Christmas to all.
      And to you too.
      In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
        If you understand the word "debate" in this context then you will know that it requires opposing views. That makes your statement incorrect. Still funny though.

And to you too.
        Point taken. Let me clarify. The opposing views are the staff at Time magazine, gnostics and the Jesus Project on one side of the debate and EVERYONE else---Darius excluded of course. It was tongue-in-cheek.
        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Nice post plumber tim. When we all take your advice we will stamp out much of the commercialization that we now have this time of year.

Comment

Working...
          X