X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodworking show in Baltimore, MD Jan 2-4

For those of you close enough this is a pretty good show.
    Looking at the vendor list I see the RIDGID/TTI will be there.

Don't know if I will make it this year as the kids are home for the
    holidays but I may go if I get the chance.

I'd like to see Delta's new Made in USA Unisaw first hand for one thing.

Friday 12-6 • Saturday 10-6 • Sunday 10-4

MARYLAND STATE FAIRGROUNDS
    Cow Palace
    North Gate off of York Rd.
    www.marylandstatefair.com
    2200 York Road,
    Timonium, MD 21093
    Parking: FREE!!
    http://www.woodworkingshows.com/
    Last edited by Bob D.; 12-24-2008, 11:29 AM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Woodworking show in Baltimore, MD Jan 2-4

I'm putting Sat. Jan. 3 on my calendar for this. I'm really hoping I can make it. I'd like to see the new Unisaw, too. I'm hopeful Ridgid will have their new saws on display. And I want to look at some tenoning jigs and some mag fingerboards.

If anyone else is planning on going, let's figure out a place and time to meet. Usually they have a hamburger/snack joint in the arenas while the shows are going on. We could meet there at say 1:30-2:00 on Saturday? I'll have my Ridgid hat!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I hope to make it on Saturday. I didn't make it last year but did the year before. They did have some quick food in the main building. Not far from the fairgrounds on Route 45 (York Road) and on the main connecting roads that go to I-83 there are plenty of other eating places.

I-83 runs from the north part of the Baltimore beltway, I-695 up to York, PA and then sort of turns into the Harrisburg, PA expressway.

The fairgrounds where the show is located are a few miles north from the Baltimore beltway. Be careful not to go south on I-83. You need to go north. People in PA need to turn off and head east to York Road once you get south of Hunt Valley - Cockysville, MD

Update 12/30/2008: Please note that the fair grounds is NOT off of Route 45, York Road. The back of the grounds is almost on I-83 and you can see signs for where to EXIT. It's a little tricky but not hard getting there.
      Last edited by Woussko; 12-30-2008, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Well, how about we meet at the Ridgid booth around 2pm on Saturday?
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
          Well, how about we meet at the Ridgid booth around 2pm on Saturday?
          Sounds good to me. I'm not sure if I'll make it but I'll try. Look for the most ugly thing you have ever seen with a muzzle on so I won't ARRRRROOOOOOO in show.

I do hope Ridgid does have a good display. When I was last there 1/2 of the show was Black & Decker - PorterCable - Delta. It is there home town show in a big way.

Comment

Well, I ended up having time to go today and that worked for my schedule better than Saturday would so away I went. Got there about 12:30 PM right after they opened and left around 16:30. Mostly just wandered around and checked out what was new (of which I didn't see much).

Picked up a new full face shield for lathe work and a couple other do-dads.

Stopped by the RIDGID booth which was manned to the hilt by about 8 people. They had all their current WWing line on display including the new granite top table saw. I was told this is replacing the 3650/3660 model and it had a $599 price tag hanging on it.

I saw the edge belt sander there which I had never seen in person before as they have never had it on display (back when they used to display) at the HD near me. I think its a nice tool but it's just a tad too small, if they made one that used a larger belt, say a 6x48", that would be a nice size for the small shop.

Went by the Delta/PC/DeWalt display area, no new Unisaw on display. I asked and was told it won't be available until March, maybe late February.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

Thanks for the info on the show. I may go on Saturday, but only time will tell for sure. I remember going two years ago and didn't think it was all that great. The old industrial shows at the Baltimore convention center and later at the fair grounds were more interesting to me until they became about half the show full of copier, FAX and other office junk and too little real machinery. Then they gave up on the shows. A good many of the old dealers are history now too.

I have a gut feeling the show in Northern VA may be a better and bigger show.

Comment

when ridgid is at shows they do have a lot of people there and that is very good
                i have bin at different vender's and you have to wait to talk to some one
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Check out Ridgid on the last day of the show to get great prices on the isplay models for each show.
                  info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I made it on Saturday around lunch time, but wish I hadn't bothered as for me it was pretty much a waste of fuel and time. The place was a total madhouse and it was actually hard to walk about.

I was very alarmed that I truly do think I was the only person in the whole place with safety glasses on. I got to say a fast hi to one young lady at the Ridgid display and told her to please get and wear safety glasses. They were showing some of the benchtop tools off.

I also pointed to mine when I saw a sales rep using a machine with no eye protection at all.

The total lack of concern for safety of reps and visitors blows my mind and also angers me. I've been to shows where you can't get past the gate unless you show the guards that you're 18+, have on good shoes, safe clothing (no ties of any kind or anything loose) and have on safety glasses which can be your own or purchased before entry.

Additionally there was lots of chips and sawdust that needed to be cleaned up to help prevent falls.

Sorry for the ranting but I really hope this is a wakeup call for safety. I hope when Bob D went it wasn't as packed. I happened on a bad time.

I did have (phone or e-mail) contact with a few forum members Sat morning before I left for the show, but they all had other plans.
                    Last edited by Woussko; 01-04-2009, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                      I made it on Saturday around lunch time, but wish I hadn't bothered as for me it was pretty much a waste of fuel and time. The place was a total madhouse and it was actually hard to walk about.

I was very alarmed that I truly do think I was the only person in the whole place with safety glasses on. I got to say a fast hi to one young lady at the Ridgid display and told her to please get and wear safety glasses. They were showing some of the benchtop tools off.

I also pointed to mine when I saw a sales rep using a machine with no eye protection at all.

The total lack of concern for safety of reps and visitors blows my mind and also angers me. I've been to shows where you can't get past the gate unless you show the guards that you're 18+, have on good shoes, safe clothing (no ties of any kind or anything loose) and have on safety glasses which can be your own or purchased before entry.

Additionally there was lots of chips and sawdust that needed to be cleaned up to help prevent falls.

Sorry for the ranting but I really hope this is a wakeup call for safety. I hope when Bob D went it wasn't as packed. I happened on a bad time.

I did have (phone or e-mail) contact with a few forum members Sat morning before I left for the show, but they all had other plans.

Woussko, you are right on about the lack of safety exhibited by most of the vendors, and the visitors to the show too for that matter.

It was busy but not too crowded when I was there on Friday. I got there when they first opened so it was busy then, but it tapered off by about 4 PM.

I spoke with a vendor for the Nail Extractor made by Jefferson Tool and asked him about a tool he had in the booth. He told me its sole function was to put nails into boards so he could demonstrate using the extractor. The tool was basically a nail gun w/o the pneumatic piston. It was driven manually but held a strip of nails. Each time he cranked the handle it put a nail in the board. He said they developed this tool because at some shows they are not allowed to use an air compressor so close to customers for insurance reasons.

Me, I've always used a pair of #420 ChanneLocks to do what the extractor does and its been pretty effective. If I was ripping out nails day in/day out I'd probably get one though.

But yes, people had for the most part a total lack of concern for safety. Very few operations done behind Plexiglas to protect the public, saw dust uncontrolled and just spewing onto the floor and into the air. The show promoters should require all vendors to have and use dust collection as I have seen done at other shows.
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

Working...
                      X