Unexpected Christmas expense.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unexpected Christmas expense.

I also drive the 2004 Chevy 3500 with about 35,000 city miles. She went back to the dealer for a new battery last year but that's it. No other problems. I go through some tires though. Way too much weight in the back. The lease is about up so she'll be going back before the tranny gives out. Ouch! $3,000 for a transmission?

Comment

I know what you mean Bob but remember I am a Indian not a Chief and my knowledge of vehicle repairs is limited.

I let the owner know 6 months ago something was wrong with the van when I would brake because the whole van would shake violently. Nothing happened. A couple months later I let him know again and got "the look".

When it through me onto incoming traffic three times in 2 miles I stopped and parked the van. He asked me to take it to a service station, I refused and took my tools off the van.
      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
        Good point Bob. I was just joking, you are right the GMC gets abused with heavy weight day after day. I am actually quite pleased with it and I will likely buy another one day.
        Another thing to consider is as you bought it used you don't know how it was treated before you owned it.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
          I know what you mean Bob but remember I am a Indian not a Chief and my knowledge of vehicle repairs is limited.

I let the owner know 6 months ago something was wrong with the van when I would brake because the whole van would shake violently. Nothing happened. A couple months later I let him know again and got "the look".

When it through me onto incoming traffic three times in 2 miles I stopped and parked the van. He asked me to take it to a service station, I refused and took my tools off the van.
          Way to go. I think that was the right thing to do for your own safety and others on the road. You did your part and notified them of the problem months ago, and they didn't take action, now its to the point where people could be injured. Ya did good.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Another thing to consider is as you bought it used you don't know how it was treated before you owned it.

Mark
            Hey,I'm thinking about selling mine.
            Need a backup Carl,I only drove it to the store on Sunday

Comment

I'm old enough to say this,

but don't you all remember "back in the day" that any of these vehicles got around 70,000 miles the transmissions would go? It was expected.

You have to expect that given 3rd gear ratio's were nearing 3-4000 rpms on the motor and the backdrag was horrible on those transmissions.

Now, 4,5,6 speed transmissions are the norm, you hear a real old car drive by and you'd think it was stuck in second gear.

Along with the fact they was made to break.

One thing I despised about GMC/Chevy on those cargo vans was the handles on the side door and back door breaking, constantly...and took forever to get parts, then they'd break again. If you own one, you'll find out soon enough what I mean.

There for awhile I was driving my service van with two broke and had to threaten my boss. Well, I did one better; I drilled a hole in the jam of the door to try and get it open myself, bought a small sticker thinking he wouldn't notice. Oh man was he pissed, especially when I wiped out the side of his truck before I injured myself.

I shouldn't be rekindling these memories....but I was victim to his authority/misdeeds so it was probably designed that way by KARMA.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I took the last two days off. No calls came in anyway. This morning the phone blew up with calls, I let them all go to voicemail. Three of the callers left messages. It looks like I'll be driving around with a bum tranny today. The new transmission isn't arriving until Tuesday, so hopefully I will ba able to get around ok until then. Can't afford to be turning customers over to the competition. The mechanic said it will probably be ok to drive for a few days, and it was running fairly smoothly when I last drove it home.
                If worse comes to worse, I'll call a tow-truck and close up shop until Tuesday! Hopefully that won't happen.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                  I took the last two days off. No calls came in anyway. This morning the phone blew up with calls, I let them all go to voicemail. Three of the callers left messages. It looks like I'll be driving around with a bum tranny today. The new transmission isn't arriving until Tuesday, so hopefully I will ba able to get around ok until then. Can't afford to be turning customers over to the competition. The mechanic said it will probably be ok to drive for a few days, and it was running fairly smoothly when I last drove it home.
                  If worse comes to worse, I'll call a tow-truck and close up shop until Tuesday! Hopefully that won't happen.

Just let the tow truck drive you to your calls.
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

At least you're in the right mindset Carl. FWIW, I had my tranny replaced by GM and so far not one issue after 12,000 miles.

Comment

Looking for outcomes. How did things go? Get the tranny smoothed out?

J.C.

Comment

Did you not see the flat rate thread going? Priorities man, priorities.

Comment

The transmission is replaced. I even watched them put in the new one and haul away the old, so I know that they didn't just rebuild the old one and pretend it was new. (someone warned me about that.)

The truck now purrs like a kitten. I also had the brake rotors cut, so the truck brakes smoother now too. They did the brakes on discount since I was already dropping a load of cash on the tranny. The service was Flatrate priced btw, I was happy as a lark with it.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                          X