Unexpected Christmas expense.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpected Christmas expense.

On Dec. 23rd my GMC 3500 van started having transmission problems. The check engine light came on and the transmission started 'knocking' very violently whenever it shifted gears.
    I took it to a service shop the next day and the diagnostic test showed that it was indeed an internal transmission problem. They could either tear the whole transmission apart and try to fix it or put a new transmission in with 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty. (I bought the van used, "as is" no warranty). I went for the new transmission because they can get it done faster and the warranty is much better. It going to cost me $3000 total to replace. This is not what I wanted to hear right before Christmas, but it is what it is.
    At first I was upset, but then I thought about it, and I realized that everything is just fine.
    1) I bough the van for a steal during the gas price craze, because nobody wanted to buy a 6.0 liter engine truck back when gas was over $4/gallon. The dealer sold it to me $2500 under bluebook value.
    2) I have the money to pay for the new transmission, so at least it won't put me in debt.
    3) I can't afford to have the truck 'down' for more than a day, as it is my sole truck and without it the company loses around $600-$1200/day in gross income.
    4) A lot of people are in a lot worse situation right now. Unemployment is rampant all over the country, businesses are folding left and right, and a lot of people are going hungry this holiday season, and I am extremely fortunate to be in the position that I am in right now. My family has a warm house, food in the fridge and even some nice Christmas presets under the tree. My family is healthy and happy. My business is doing well and I have plenty of work. In short: I HAVE A LOT TO BE THANKFUL FOR, AND I WILL NOT FORGET IT THIS CHRISTMAS. A surprise bill isn't going to get my mood down.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL AND BE THANKFUL TODAY FOR ALL THE BLESSING IN YOUR LIFE!
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Re: Unexpected Christmas expense.

i had a gmc 3500 that i bought new with an extended warranty.

well when the trans started to act up/ not shift properly. i called the dealer. they said it had to be brought in and then looked at by the proper adjuster.

meaning it could be a week before they have a decision of what they were going to do

i called a local trans shop that works on larger vehicles.
    they had me come in the same day and i was out the door that evening for $400.

the electronic shift solenoids needed to be replaced.

all i can say is, an extended warranty might work for a second vehicle, but not for your work vehicle. it's a game they play to make you go elsewhere.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I am pretty sure something is cracked the way it acting. They offered to repair it, but that it will probably take a lot longer to repair than to replace. I called and got a second opinion, and they said the same...a repair will likely take longer and probably won't save a lot of money in the long run. Maybe I am being naive, and should just have it repaired, but a new transmission makes me feel safer in the long run. I can't afford to have the van sitting and not making money.

Comment

What year is it?
        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Sorry to hear Carl. The unexpected pitfalls of business. Suck sometimes.

Others experience may differ but I have NEVER seen a transmission rebuilt properly to original specs. By anyone-good reputation or bad.

I would pay twice as much or maybe more, if I needed a transmission, for a new one. And you know how cheap I am.

Put the K-60 in the wifey's car a day or two. Anything to keep moving and offset the repair cost.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Absolutely, do NOT let them have that old transmission.

Keep it, get it fixed, have one on standby when it happens again, and it will.

The box van I own has a rebuilt tranny in it and I've had quite a few rebuilt with no problem back in the days of C-4's and 350 turbos. That's an excellent talent of those who know how to do it. It's really just the gaskets/seals that go bad that makes them screw up, unless you have those type that CLUNK BANG SMASH and sound like someone is throwing the driveshaft up into the floor.

If you trade it in, sell it in the future you could ebay that tranny or offer it as a selling point that you have a backup.

They can make too much money getting the old one from you. Ignore the core charge.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Carl,

Sorry to hear about your truck but we have all been through it. It was tough for us having trucks down as well so I replaced more than one motor or tranny in my driveway at night after a long day in the field. Brenda would call me and tell me one of the guys broke down and I would tell her to call the shop. If they couldn't do it right away she would go get a rebuild and have the truck and rebuild sitting in the driveway when I got home. I don't work on vehicles anymore but I still have a garage full of lifts, air tools and a 60 gallon compressor.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Its a 2006 model, with 71,000 miles. Pretty new to be losing a transmission so soon..oh well, that expected with a General Motors product. My Nissan has 160,000 miles and runs fine.

Comment

Put a transmission cooler on if you don't have one.

J.C.

Comment

i called the dealer. they said it had to be brought in and then looked at by the proper adjuster.
                    A common stratagem to get you to go elsewhere (outside the warranty)because they know you can't afford to wait. I ran into this tactic a couple times with an extended GM Warranty, but one truck it wasn't my only vehicle so I did not care if the truck sat for a couple days or a week. However, it was never more than 2 days before they had an answer because it was a large dealership and the adjuster was there every other day like clockwork for one vehicle or another. Then it would be another day for the repair most times.
                    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                      Its a 2006 model, with 71,000 miles. Pretty new to be losing a transmission so soon..oh well, that expected with a General Motors product. My Nissan has 160,000 miles and runs fine.

But the van is hauling around its own weight plus a pile of tools equal in weight to that Nissan. Throw 2000 lbs of tools in the truck of the Nissan and see how long the tranny holds up.

Comment

Mark sounds just like me, I used to have a fleet of trucks that had C6 trans in them and I used to keep a couple extra rebuilds around for quick evening change outs. I also used to specialize in weekend engine rebuilds. Man those were some long days but it's always fun to see the look on your guys faces when they come in and ask what they will be driving and you point to their truck. I also used to bring a can of white spray paint to my painter and tell him to match it perfectly so that when I had to do body work on the fleet over the weekend I could get a perfect match on my repair.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                          But the van is hauling around its own weight plus a pile of tools equal in weight to that Nissan. Throw 2000 lbs of tools in the truck of the Nissan and see how long the tranny holds up.
                          Good point Bob. I was just joking, you are right the GMC gets abused with heavy weight day after day. I am actually quite pleased with it and I will likely buy another one day.

Comment

We have been doing pretty good with our Chevy vans. They are all 2500.
                            Mine is a 04 with 79,000 miles and doing very well other than the front drivers side wheel broke and went sideways while driving 55 mph 3 weeks ago.

I almost died going into oncoming traffic. Turns out the wheel bearings went out and the wheel was at a 45 degree angle to the van.

I have always bought Toyota trucks but decided to buy a new Silverado in 07 with the new body style. 3,000 miles down the road and my transmission went out. Fortunately GM replaced it for free and they gave me a black Yukon to drive while it was being fixed.
                            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Turns out the wheel bearings went out

Mine is a 04 with 79,000 miles...
                              Did you ever have the wheel bearings serviced?

Used to be back in the day of drum brakes that wheel bearings got looked at more often because when you took your car in for tires or an alignment, or brakes the mechanic would (I did anyway) check the bearings. Why? Because the condition of the wheel bearings is critical to the proper operation of all the above. A bad bearing will screw up your alignment, cause uneven tire wear, and can accelerate and cause uneven brake shoe or pad wear.

Now that we have cars and trucks with suspension and steering systems that stay in alignment longer, brakes that wear longer, and many more vehicles with front wheel drive wheel bearings have been all but forgotten. At the MAX every 24K have the bearings and seals checked and repacked as needed.

It's no different than changing your oil. I mean after 3000 miles (barring any leaks) you still have roughly 5 quarts (or whatever your crankcase normally holds) of oil in the crankcase, so why change it out?

Comment

Working...
                              X