X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bonus gift

This has been a hard year for our home. Mike got "temporarily" laid off about 3 months ago, and hopefully will start work again in January. This has made our Christmas pretty hard, but we've made it through and still have the lights on! We've been eating a lot of noodles and mac n cheese, and I'm getting a little tired of the carb-heavy diet.

As many of you know, I have been a hunter for some years now. For all this time I've been learning to hunt, I've never been able to actually get a shot on one until this year. God granted me my wishes and sent me a little button buck for Christmas. My first shot, and it was a good one, I think. He walked into my scope picture, and one shot dropped him where he stood. A clean shot, and he did not appear to suffer. I said my prayers as the adrenaline coursed through my system and I waited a while to go over and make sure things were done right. He never moved, and when I did go to check he was definitely down. I dressed him out and the .30-06 did a good job of putting him on the ground. The rifle, me, and God were in sync this time, I feel.

Now we'll have nice, lean hormone-free meat for new years! If anyone would like to drop by and show me how to cut him up, I'd welcome the visit! I've been reading some, and a friend said he'd help, but I can use all the help I can find.

I really just wanted to relate this story as a way of saying, God does help those who help themselves. This year's harvest is proof of that. I'm not a highly religious person, but I really think this story needs to be told in that light. Regardless, I'm very grateful and happy! Oh, and I wasn't in the stand when I got this one. I was in a spot on the ground, and was very safe.

May you all enjoy your New Year's and may 2009 prove to be a good year for us all.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Re: A bonus gift

Congratulations Sandy on your first buck. I couldn't agree more that hunting and nature are very spiritual. Are you going to start a log book to record the events of your hunt? I've kept one for years and find rereading it brings back the enjoyment of a successful hunt and even the unsuccessful hunts.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

We also had log books at our shack, but when the tree dropped on the shack, it rained quiet a few times on it and I'm afraid its a goner...

Congrats on your hunt, and I would give you a hand with the butchering, but your just a tad bit to far from me....

Did you drink the blood of kill, first time your suppose to do this you know...
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

All your hard work and patience has finally paid off. I hope you are blessed with more hunting gifts, and better financial situations in the New Year.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
          Did you drink the blood of kill, first time your suppose to do this you know...
          No.....after field dressing I didn't want to "stress" my tummy any more!!! I wanted to take the heart, but it was rather destroyed.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Like Garager, I would like to help, but I'm afraid the meat would spoil before I could get there. I will give you a few tips, tho. Cut away any bloody spots. You know what I mean. Second, Make doubly sure you have every last piece of hair removed form the meat--it has a sneaky habit of trying to spoil a good roast or.....
            By the way, congratulations on a successful hunt!

Comment

I don't hunt (only with a camera), but I have no problem with those that respect and appreciate their kill.
              GOOD JOB SANDY!

I have gone hunting with friends many times and really enjoy it, but I'm a sucker as soon as it comes time to pull the trigger. Now when I go, I just bring my camera. Still just as fun and I don't have to worry about shooting my damn foot off.

Ohh Yeah, I to thought you were suppose to drink the blood of your first. Come on Sandy
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Congratulations, I skin my my own deer then take it to the butcher and he cuts & freezer wraps it. Some people take the whole deer to him and he does everything. It cost me 25.00 for him to cut up and freezer wrap my deer.

Ask around, maybe you have a butcher that would take care of it for you and show you some tips.
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Working...
                X