X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuff you think you need.. But really don't

A cell phone. Went most of my life without one. No such thing when I was growing up. No such thing when I first went into business. Truthfully better that 90% of all calls made or recieved on the damn thing either were a wast of time or could have waited.

GPS. Christ, give me a break. In 35 years of doing service, driving all over the north east, delivering oil and propane I have never once failed to find my destination. Now people are convinced that they can't get to the grocery store without this stupid assed thing telling them how to get there.

Texting - Holy Jumping crap Batman, I though the whole freekin purpose of the cell phone was to TALK to people. Now I have to learn to type on an insanely small key pad in a language developed by mouth breathing teenagers. Screw texting.

The 100 dollar wine bottle opener. Takes up counter space. Need to read the manual to operate it. Works about 1/2 the time. I'll stick with the dollar fifty corkscrew.
    sigpic

Re: stuff you think you need.. But really don't

8 drum machines

i know you smiled

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

A Space Shuttle.

A Submarine.

A Commercial Airliner

72 Virgins

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        A Space Shuttle.

A Submarine.

A Commercial Airliner

72 Virgins

Mark
        can't you share the love

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I was with you right up to the virgin thing.
          sigpic

Comment

A nap each day.......

I would have said "a wife", but that might offend a few girls in here.....
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              I was with you right up to the virgin thing.
              Sorry that should have said 72 Virginians.

Mark
              Attached Files
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                Texting - Holy Jumping crap Batman, I though the whole freekin purpose of the cell phone was to TALK to people. Now I have to learn to type on an insanely small key pad in a language developed by mouth breathing teenagers. Screw texting.
                While I agree for the most part about texting, isn't there a member on this forum (one of the plumbers I think) who has a deaf girlfriend and the texting is the easiest way for them to communicate with each other when they are apart?

Comment

cell phone - have you seen the way people are sliming public phones now?(stuff the military can't even inoculate you for!) IF, you can find one.

gps- in my youth when i had eyes like a hawk reading maps was easy, now can you say mr. magoo.

texting- a god-sent, better then listening to idiots screaming on a cell phones everywhere.

100 dollar wine bottle opener- jobs man, somebody has to make them.
                  Last edited by BILLG; 01-02-2009, 01:23 PM.

Comment

[quote=NHMaster3015;197857]A cell phone. Went most of my life without one. No such thing when I was growing up. No such thing when I first went into business. Truthfully better that 90% of all calls made or recieved on the damn thing either were a wast of time or could have waited. Got rid of mine in 2001 and haven't looked back - I don't need to be that accessible. I see people in restaurants yakking while their spouse/kid/date is sitting there looking bored, and I wonder what the he!! are they thinking?? Spend some time with your family or date and let your friends call go to the machine. Piss poor manners.

GPS. Christ, give me a break. In 35 years of doing service, driving all over the north east, delivering oil and propane I have never once failed to find my destination. Now people are convinced that they can't get to the grocery store without this stupid assed thing telling them how to get there. I use Google maps before I leave and correct the route to what I want it to be. All the mapping programs will show you the shortest way, but you will end up stuck on a road with a traffic light every 30 feet. I use google instead of my atlas only because I can print only what I need to see.

Texting - Holy Jumping crap Batman, I though the whole freekin purpose of the cell phone was to TALK to people. Now I have to learn to type on an insanely small key pad in a language developed by mouth breathing teenagers. Screw texting. I am with you on that one. I can say in 2 minutes what it would take me 30 minutes to type on a phone pad. Total waste of time.

The 100 dollar wine bottle opener. Takes up counter space. Need to read the manual to operate it. Works about 1/2 the time. I'll stick with the dollar fifty corkscrew. My Swiss army knife has never let me down!!

Comment

If you take away my cell phone are you going to put a broken payphone back on every corner?

If you take my GPS how will I know how long it will take to get somewhere?

If I can't text; my neices and nephews will become complete strangers to me

Two Buck Chuck has twist off wine bottles

Comment

If you take away my cell phone my wife can't call to tell me the $100 wine opener is broken and I'd better buy some of pcracks vintage mogan david

If I don't have my gps I can't find the nearest wine store.

If I can't text.... Well, hell, I'm with you on the texting.
                        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I'm half with you on a cell phone. My wife and I shared a prepaid one, but it is usually off [it is more of an outgoing kind of phone].

I'm with you on texting between people. I've never sent a text message to a person. I have received them from automated computer programs I wrote during grad school so that I could use machine time efficiently [Basically "hey dummy, your experiment broke" or "your experiment is done, you better get cracking on the next one"].

I'm also with you on the wine opener, my friend got one a few weeks ago; and it didn't even manage to open the darn bottle.

I love my GPS though; it taught me how to get to work from my son's preschool 10 minutes quicker. Thats 40 minutes a week that I get back, so well worth $200.

Also, it is cheaper than buying maps. I used to have 3 maps in my car (Suffolk where I lived, Nassau [next county over], and NYC 5 Bourough). That works out to $90 or so for one laminated atlas and two non-laminated atlas's. Where I live now it is even worse, because I need NYC, Westchester, Rockland/Orange, Putnam Dutches, and I still go to LI enough that they come in useful. I've also spent $5-10 on cheap fold up maps when I've gotten myself lost while traveling to other cities. I'm sure the Toronto, Syracuse, and Orlando maps I have tucked away in the trunk will be out of date by the time I go there next.

Comment

I think the majority of things we own is fluff and our objects own us, not the other way around. It's amazing how happy you can be with the bare essentials.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I work plowing a major shopping mall in our area. This year there was a major snowstorm just before Christmas. The drivers were going nuts trying to find parking spaces so they could get into the mall and give their money away. Maybe those people really did need all the stuff they were buying, I don't know. But I bet if they spent as much time with the person for whom they were buying gifts as they spent shopping the intended receipient would be happier. The gift of time is precious.

For many years when asked for a Christmas list or theme I have suggested food. If there are any left overs throw them in a freezer bag, pop them in the freezer and that is fine for me. Grandchildren can make cookies or mix up some trail mix from nuts, raisins, etc. I have enough 'stuff.'

-Tom
                              Last edited by Tom W; 01-04-2009, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X