Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Guy on here!

Finally,

we got some replacements here.

I'm slower than a constipated aardvark, that's why I'm time and material.

Toilet setting right next to me 1.25 hours that's the gauge I follow and that's only if there's no problems.

The disposal can be whipped in 20 minutes if it's a straight changeout *insinkerator to insinkerator* and if anything aside from that, 45 minutes to an hour.

So, knowing how I am, 2.25 tops, maybe 2.5 hours. Against your 1 hour and 15 minutes, I'd be there another hour and 15 minutes, figuring heavy.

I charge $75/hour but alway mark my materials up, so no matter what I'm getting at least $80.00 no matter what, with my gas surcharge *$10.00*

2.5 times $80.00= $200.00 If anything goes wrong, the price goes up but of course I put more time in.

I have a friend in broward county and for $580.00 and a 3 day wait she got

Toilet reset

New shutoff to the toilet

fill valve

He was there 3 hours, she had to give a credit card number before he even came out,

and I hear about her "incident" with a plumber damn near every time I speak to her, blaming me for what she was charged for the work.

He was there 2.5 hours. He charged $145.80 for the toilet angle stop as
    that what the book stated he charged while he was already in house at the site.

There's a difference in cost of living, cost to operate value between KY and FLA. I don't know how much but on the mend, $40 would be a good asessement that the cost of living is "higher" down in FLA since it is considered a "nicer" place to visit than KY, given all the luxury resorts and living down there.

I'm probably wrong, and $85 difference is probably evaporated in the cost of living adjustment from here to there.

Hour and fifteen minutes on your job,

2.5 hours on my call.

The difference, 1 hour 15 minutes.

Everyone, please tell me which plumber the customer would want to experience in their home for the time spent and value of money for services rendered. Both did the exact same task,

but one was in a big *** hurry and makes you look kind of foolish, knowing the task was done at such a speed that you question if you should of done it yourself.

If the plumber works steady and the hands are moving, there's no reason to say he isn't trying, but unless he's sleeping under the sink, how do you know he's milking it.

I don't think I could be involved in a task, something break midway along the way and have to go get my book and look at a set run of figures and say, "It's going to cost this much more NOW that this happened, here it is, sign it."

I just feel more comfortable saying, "Hey look I just ran into this problem, it's going to take some more time and this much more probably to gitter done."

There is a difference in these two mindsets of thinking.

If you charge a customer $165.00 to replace a toilet flapper, then try to get $64.38 more for the fill valve,

$229 plus dollars to partially rebuild a toilet?

If I go a mechanic already knowing an alternator costs $148 and the guy says $400.00 to put it in, I'm assuming that's a "trusting" price given the knowledge base and expertise to do the task.

When I go to sit down and not 20 minutes later the truck is done, how do you think I feel? Might be a little shocked.

Not all of us are built for speed. When you roar through a customer's home and expect payment in the hundreds, the general consensus gives a feeling that the job didn't warrant the charge.

My "slow" tasking reverts that line of thinking and the customer would possibly think I didn't charge enough. Very possible and that's why I constantly get tips, alluding to that.

Boing!!!!
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

welcome to the forum from up here.

Vince

Comment

Exact problem I mentioned in a post a couple months ago. One of my customer moved into a new, used, house. Downstairs, basement sink drain clogged. They called a plumber, drain unplugged and he installed two flexible plastic hoses to the washing machine, for what I don't know and which by the way looked like a five year old had done the job. He was there less than an hour, the charge $500.00. The wife cried.

That was wrong. In my wildest imagination I can't see how that charge was justified.

-Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
          Exact problem I mentioned in a post a couple months ago. One of my customer moved into a new, used, house. Downstairs, basement sink drain clogged. They called a plumber, drain unplugged and he installed two flexible plastic hoses to the washing machine, for what I don't know and which by the way looked like a five year old had done the job. He was there less than an hour, the charge $500.00. The wife cried.

That was wrong. In my wildest imagination I can't see how that charge was justified.

-Tom
          The experience that made me suspicious of flat rate is that I had my AC unit break. The $79 dollar diagnostic fee told me the cable from the compressor to the air handler was no good. I thought that was a good value for my money (would work out to about $160/hr). The quote to fish the wire from the compressor to the attic was $797. I said no thanks, went to HD, and when I got back, I did it myself in about 30 minutes. $1600 an hour would not have been such a good value.

Edit: I would still call them for AC work, but probably won't call them for plumbing work unrelated to my boiler.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            I'm slower than a constipated aardvark, that's why I'm time and material.
            Hmmm, maybe when I get that slow, I'll switch to hourly too.
            On a serious note. Its all good to me. Sectional, drum, I don't care what you prefer. Flat or hourly, it is up to you also. Live and let live. Can't a guy use whatever tools he wants to do the job with, and charge however he wants to charge? Freedom baby, freedom.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
              The experience that made me suspicious of flat rate is that I had my AC unit break. The $79 dollar diagnostic fee told me the cable from the compressor to the air handler was no good. I thought that was a good value for my money (would work out to about $160/hr). The quote to fish the wire from the compressor to the attic was $797. I said no thanks, went to HD, and when I got back, I did it myself in about 30 minutes. $1600 an hour would not have been such a good value.

Edit: I would still call them for AC work, but probably won't call them for plumbing work unrelated to my boiler.
              Charles, some flatrate companies are really outrageous, no argument here. But what about guys like me, Herk, duckbutter, etc?

Let me ask you a theoretcial question. Would you rather hire me to clean out your sewer at a flat rate of $180, or hire plumber rick at $150/hour? (numbers are purely hypothetical here) If rick gets it done in an hour or less, he will be a little cheaper. But if the job takes two hours, I will be much cheaper with the flat rate. Its basically a gamble either way, but the hourly guy is more of a gamble in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                Hmmm, maybe when I get that slow, I'll switch to hourly too.
                On a serious note. Its all good to me. Sectional, drum, I don't care what you prefer. Flat or hourly, it is up to you also. Live and let live. Can't a guy use whatever tools he wants to do the job with, and charge however he wants to charge? Freedom baby, freedom.

Absolutely.

I'm old way before my time. I hope I'm wiser by my mistakes I've made along the way. More than likely when my wheels stop turning I'm going to expire rather quickly when I can't function as a worker anymore. That's okay and I understand that.

There won't be any 20 years of my life "after" I retire. No way. It's not going to happen. I'll work till I can't and that's the writing on the wall. Sianara and off to the big light in the sky.

I wish I had speed like I did years ago. I actually enjoyed new construction knowing I was a heavy hand in the plumbing system of that home, all the workings. Lots goes into an entire plumbing system. I have 14 under my belt under my name.

A rather small number but I can tell you it was a pleasure to do them. I don't do any plumbing at those homes and they're all local. Different homeowners or people just doing what I do; variety by choice.

If I plumbed a house it would take 2 weeks on the 2nd rough, 1st rough an entire day, the finish another whole day.

No one can deny this fact; the profession of plumbing will break your body down, sooner or later. Some of us reach that quicker than others. I just hope that you fast guys realize this because I was in that speed frame just 10 years ago, putting in 3-5 water heaters a day.

Now, I put in just 1 water heater and praying I don't have calls afterwards or before. Physical injury/degredation forces you to work smarter, not harder. That's why I almost pushed this farmhand down into the well this past week for trying to get me to think that using my back inappropriately to get water for those horses was a dire emergency, even though the property owner just spent thousands with me a few weeks prior and not one but 3 hose bibbs were installed not 40' from this barn. 1 city water and two private cistern.

Guy was older than me but I was a hell of lot smarter when it came to understanding the situation of dire necessity. It wasn't.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

SG, I'd hire you at $180. Though honestly, the answer would be whichever of you I found first; I felt like I was getting a good deal (the system probably doesn't matter much here, the person setting the system matters) and returned my calls. You'll notice I'll even call the flat rate AC/plumbing company that quoted $800 again. The $80 for an honest appraisal of what is wrong with the system is worth it to me.

It just seems like most of the FR prices I've seen (in person, and the ones posted on the forum) seem pretty high.

Comment

Charles, you made my day with your insightful post! If you are going to the roundup, I am buying all your drinks. If you don't drink, I'll buy you dinner.

Comment

I've done most of my own work on the house but when I needed a licensed plumber I just wanted the job done right. I knew the guy had to make his days pay and cover his expenses. I never liked to be rushed when I worked and I would never do that to another person. I guess given a choice, I would opt for a flat rate for the job and hope it could be done within that time. I still would be understanding if it ran over given all the unexpected things that can happen. In my case the plumber got done in half the time and did a great job, so I was happy to pay him what we agreed upon before hand. I don't understand why a customer would be upset if you could do a quality job in less time on a flat rate? My wife did complain to me that the plumber finished rather fast and couldn't understand why he should receive the same amount of money, to which I replied "would it make a difference if he hung out in the basement and made believe he was working?". I think anyone who deals with the public deserves a lot of credit, I have no comment on being married.
                      Last edited by Frankiarmz; 01-05-2009, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                        Charles, you made my day with your insightful post! If you are going to the roundup, I am buying all your drinks. If you don't drink, I'll buy you dinner.
                        The budget committee did not approve the round up this year. I'm told when the kids are in school I should get approval [this has nothing to do with the budget, just leaving the budget committee alone with two kids for 3 days]. Hopefully, it will continue until I'm able to go.

Comment

Welcome to the forums, Paul.
                          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

So...PP, got a question for you. Why is so much plumbing tools coming out of Florida? Not one person has known the answer to that and I toss and turn all night with delusions of grandeur to the right answer.

Talk about a thread with nothing but side drift. I guess we're showing the new guy the right way the first time.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Sorry about the thread-drift. We are a bunch of argumentative neanderthals on here.

Welcome Paramedic dude.

Comment

What do you mean tools out of florida? You mean for sale?
                                You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

Working...
                                X