New Life, kinda long

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Life, kinda long

In 1989 I got into some trouble and in 1990 I plead guilty to charges of intent to sell a ¼ ounce of marijuana. I never had my record cleaned up after 2 year probation period, because honestly I thought I’d be in business for myself, the rest of my life. I started my business illegally for the first 3 yrs (since 1991), meaning no license, and then created a real business in 1994. But some changes have occurred recently, in which I have no choice but to close my doors. I have been trying to save my marriage, that’s been on the rocks. Well we have separated and it will be a minimum of a year before we discuss getting back together, we’re in agreement with each others on this. Now I’ll be leaving my home shortly. Please, I’m not looking for sympathy, this is not why I’m spilling my guts here.

I went to trucking school to change careers (planning ahead for when I need to leave my home), now I’m finding myself that no one will hire me because of my felony conviction in the trucking industry (ouch). I have sent my resume and application, to over 250 transportation companies, and talked to I don’t know how many). This schooling I went to, asked for my back ground and I was totally honest with them, before I signed up. Their response was, not a problem, your felony wasn’t a major type of conviction. Since 911, you have to have a decent background to get into this industry, I did my research and knew about convicted felons and the tough time they may have. This is why I talked to the school about my situation to see if I’m making the right career change.

Of course they built it up, in which I should have no trouble at all making my career change. Ouch, they lied to me, just to take my money and send me on my way. They also said they would help me with finding a company to work for, I saw 3 recruiters there, while I was going thru this school. They also said that they had at least 20 companies I could choose from, to find employment with. The 3 recruiters (far from 20) that I saw, right off the bat said I lived to far away from them, meaning too far away from their closes terminal to get me home once in a while, this would be too costly for them.
    So that part came into play, which I didn’t know about. OK then, when I got my license and came home I applied to all the transportation companies up here, no prevail because of my conviction. So this has cost me over $8000.00 (school fee, hotel fee, license fee, etc. Now I have a CDL w/Hazmat endorsement and a DOT medical card and I’m jobless. Oh by the way, in order to get my Hazmat, I had to undergo a criminal background check and be finger printed. 3 weeks later, they forgave me for my past and said I was alright to get the Hazmat endorsement, go figure our Govt. forgives me, but the trucking industry will not.

Things are getting really tough around my home, between the wife and I, which means I need to move out shortly. I have enough money to survive for a few months, this would also include apartment money and so on. I’m going to stay out of carpentry, because I am tired of doing this type of work, however I am open for any help in obtaining employment, I am not that damn proud to ask for this in here. I am eager to get to work and I am willing to travel to almost anywhere. My back ground employment is 28 years in the construction business, in various trades. Of course my codes up here that I know, may vary to yours.

I have been spending so much time, trying to get into this trucking business, which makes me feel like I’m walking backwards. Thus, I need to start looking for something else and just take my loss in this trucking career venture. I’ve been sitting around, so much for 3 months now, I’m gaining weight and eager to lose it while busting my rear on a job. So what ya say, any buddy looking for a new employee and you’d be willing to hire me. I do have bills and new ones coming and expect a fair wage, you'll get a hard worker and an honest one at that for my wages. I also think when this school year ends, my oldest son will want to come and live with me and finish High School, where ever this may be, that’s why I said I would live “almost” anywhere. I got to admit, this is taking a lot a balls to write this, but I need to start a new life and soon.

I have a ton of tools also, but I can only haul so much with me in my travel. I do need personal stuff to bring with me too. I can always come back for more tools or just buy some more. Thanks for reading and don’t go mushy on me, I’m just looking for work, not much up here, actually there's nothing here for me…… Mark
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: New Life, kinda long

Sorry to hear about your problems, garager, seems it's always the ones that want it the most that have the hardest time getting it.

Anyways, here's what I would do..........

With your construction experience, go with that for now, and go somewhere where there might be stuff going on right now.

Florida comes to mind - just because they seem(supposedly, from what I've heard from installers who've gone on course/convention)to always have lots of repair work due to hurricane season. I remember a guy telling me a few years ago that they were backed up two years then, that homeowners were desperate for roof/siding repairs at that time.

Maybe this isn't true now, maybe it is, regardless, outside work in construction is probably easier to source in a non-winter climate. So that's what I'd be thinking. Go into a place, get settled into some work, then you can scout out for some trucking work if that is the case.

Then again, you might find yourself back in construction in a big way if the area is such. Some times we make decisions based on where we live, not necessarily what we like to do.

I know you have a family, which is hard. But I know guys that go away for six months at a time to work, come back for a month, and then go right back for another six months.

You gotta do what you gotta do. And good luck with whatever it is.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

sorry to hear this. major island mojo and positive thoughts headed your way

as i understand that Houston and DFW are still booming with construction,etc. just a thought

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

New Orleans is still in need.

Networking with those you've worked with and those that you have worked for can be the best way for you to gain employment. Somebody you know can know someone else that can get you work in the trucking business. Maybe. Or temporary work somewhere else. Got to do something to keep the depression from getting to you.

Resumes are often never read. Alot that never gave you a call may know nothing of your past.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

wow buddy this is some heavy stuff. i wish you the best of luck.. keep you chin up!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
            The 3 recruiters (far from 20) that I saw, right off the bat said I lived to far away from them, meaning too far away from their closes terminal to get me home once in a while, this would be too costly for them.
            Mark
            You're ready to move. Did you offer to move closer to the terminals?
            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
              You're ready to move. Did you offer to move closer to the terminals?
              I change my address as soon as I started to get wind of that, I have a nephew with an address down in the cities. But its the felony thats biting keeps me in my rear. They are no longer Truck Drivers, but instead they are Professional Drivers, who now get intensive background checks ever since 911, even local drivers such as a Pepsi delivery guy/gal. Times are changing.....

If I can't find something soon, I'll be forced to go back into business, and theres no building going on around here, none.....
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

what about going for a job as a building inspector.... You obviously know enough about the codes and a felony is nothing compared to what those *&%@# in government are all about

Comment

Go to school again, I went to 3 different schools this past year and ran my business, I'm tired of schooling for a bit. Mainly no time right now, I would have to go to school, to learn how to pass the test to be an inspector. But I need to make money right now, not spend it.

I have thought about being one, infact I was thinking about doing just that this winter or next summer, but there's a change in my game plan that I wasn't really prepared for. So I need to move on and some day come back into what I can do and do well.

If I'm forced to open up my doors again, I'll have to. But I really want a career change and get away for the time being. I'm sure me and the wife will get back together, its just not going to happen soon. I even applied for a job patching windmills, 300' up and patch with fiberglass, it would be something different. However I was turned down, not because of the felony, but because I did not have enough experience.

Who the hell has the experience to go 300' up on a ladder, very few people thats for sure. And here I thought, all we needed was to have the ballz to do that. Oh well, I'm movin' on from that one, but it did pay well.....

Comment

300 ft up to patch windmills? Garager, you got enough balls and then some! I always argued with folks when it came to paying for certain schools because if there is no guarantee of employment or at least a dam good chance of getting a job it is a waste of time and money that we can't afford. I know you are not looking for sympathy and while I wish you the best with your marriage and finding work, I do feel for all you are going through. Home inspectors do make a good living if they get hooked up with realtors and establish themselves, but in today's market I don't know if it's a good move? All those years of hard work and then the schooling prove you are a tough man and I pray you keep your physical strength and your emotional stability. I wish I could offer something more than prayer, but that's all I got. Take care, Frank.

Comment

Working...
                    X