X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy, Happy, Happy.......

Persistence pay off, I've been calling a Transportation Company CR England over and over again. The recruiter finally asked me if I can start on Monday, well of course I said yes....

I am going to be a Professional Truck Driver. She will call me back with my bus ticket (they don't want me to drive, since there's no available parking and the inconvenience of getting me back to my truck.

So 4 days of orientation, then a minimum of 1 1/2 months driving the states with 2 trainers, 3 weeks with each. I'm praying like crazy that I just didn't jinx myself with this post. Because I need that bus ticket, then I'm 100% with this company.

This is their link....

http://www.crengland.com/

Oh cool, just as I was about to hit the submit button, my phone rings. I have the confirmation # for my bus ticket. The biggest question I need to ask myself in 1 1/2 months, is whether I stay as an employee or go as an independent driver with a lease program on the rig.

OSC, if your out there or anybody else, can you give me your feedback on this subject, Ind. vs Company Driver??????
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Happy, Happy, Happy.......

They are one of the better companies as well.

Good luck - Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

very good mark.

i don't know much about the trucking business, but my suggestion is what would apply to anyone new in any business.

stick with the company job and truck. learn on their dime and pay your dues.

you'll know in time if this is for you and if taking on a lease and being self employed is the right choice.

i would say you need to get a real taste of the life of this new career. don't committ to an expensive lease until you know it's for you.

keep us all posted

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Congratulations.
        From your post the other day I was worried about you.
        I swear this forum has some kind of power. Every time I mention here that business is slow, the phone starts ringing. (by the way, pretty slow this week).

I have a few friends that drive/drove OTR. After a few months some find out it's just not for them and others thrive on it and could never go back to anything else.
        I would hold off on a lease, if you could even get one (even with good credit they prefer experience). Plus the way fuel prices keep jumping around you my find yourself hauling some loads at a loss.

Any way, Glad to see things are coming together for you.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Congratulations. Persistence and patience along with a little luck.

Comment

Good luck,enjoy yourself,maybe post a few pics.
            Kenneth Collier
            Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
            Jackson, MS 39206
            (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
            drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

"Yea!" for you. I don't know much about England but I just PMd you with a guy's name who works or at least did work in one of their corporate offices.

Watch the lease/purchases. Guys make money for the first couple years and then things fall apart. The reason things fall apart is that they are living off the depreciation, not putting it in the bank where it belongs. Think about this. A company as big as England can buy all the trucks it needs. If they thought for one second that they could make more money using all company trucks they wouldn't allow owner-operators. But they make more money with owner-operators so they have them. Don't fall for the line about they have owner-operators because so many drivers wanted to work for them. It is all about money. A company as big as England is set up with all sorts of sophisticated accounting programs designed for the trucking industry, and a huge support staff. You are going to have your laptop and a kitchen table.

Here is the way things go for an owner-operator. You are out for 10-14 days and home for three. The first day all you do is sleep. The second day you work on and clean your truck. The third day you are packing your stuff getting ready to go back out. The third day isn't really a day because you will probably leave out at 1:00 - 3:00 AM of the fourth day so you are in bed at 7:00 or 8:00 PM of your third day.

I was never an owner-operator, always a company driver and enjoyed it a lot.

I wish you all the best.
              Tom
              Last edited by Tom W; 01-08-2009, 07:28 PM.

Comment

way to go mark
                good things happen to good people
                good luck
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Thank you all, and great advice. I leave this Saturday and will be really busy for at least 7 weeks, but hopefully I can pop in from time to time. If my hotel for the next has WIFI, I'll be stoppin by in the evenings.

drainman881999, you can count on that, any place special you wanna see? Hopefully I'll be driving thru, maybe even get a chance to stop and stretch in that area....
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

remember to look us up if your driving in our towns call us so we can say hi

i think i gave you my #
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I think we all should give mark our numbers before he leaves... that is if he wants them that way he can have a home cooked meal whenever he want while on the road.... if he stops at my house at least, my little woman is a wicked good cook too!

Comment

I will be posting the area's I'll be going to from time to time. I do have some #'s written down in my book. But business will be business, I may not be able to stop, but I'll certainly try. Maybe, just maybe I'll have more friends than Rick, by the end of the year....

Thats gonna be a hard one to beat, eh....

All I need is names, #'s and towns/state. When I'm there, I'll try to reach you all..... Just PM me and I'll save em all...

Comment

Originally posted by cdia1960 View Post
                          Congratulations. Persistence and patience along with a little luck.
                          Agreed. I like to think a few of the prayers thrown up didn't hurt either.

I'm very happy for you.
                          st
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Persistence pays.

Good job.
                            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Great news! I don't know anything about the trucking industry, but I do know the folks on here have good advice. I wish you all the best! My best friend's Son just got his CDL and is on his way like you, but with a smaller company. He seems pretty happy. I hope you get out this way some time. You better drop me a note if you do!
                              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X