Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how often do you do it?

sorry!!

i figured this would get your attention.

my question really should be, "HOW OFTEN DO YOU DELETE YOUR WEB BROWSER AND DEGRAG".

i've have found out through a lot of reading that if I delete your web browser and defrag, my computer is a lot quicker.

any suggestions?

Vince

Re: how often do you do it?

you mean delete firefox and/or explorer, Defrag, then reinstall?

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Defrag - daily, both on my servers and laptops. Because it's so often the process takes just a minute, two max. On laptops I set defrag to kick in automatically (via a simple batch file) so by the time I get my coffee and logon defrag is done. Server run 24/7 so a simlar batch command is scheduled for 4 am every morning.

Browser cache - I simply set it to 10 MB. That way it's large enough to let me use the back button, and small enough not to slow me down too much.
      In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

I use a free program called Crap Cleaner and I Defrag daily also

Lenny

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
          you mean delete firefox and/or explorer, Defrag, then reinstall?
          no, just delete the web browser history and defrag.

nothing to do with re-instalalling.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
            no, just delete the web browser history and defrag.

nothing to do with re-instalalling.

Vince
            oh yes

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Free Crap Cleaner deletes in two clicks

cookies
            recycle bin
            temp files
            internet cache
            history firefox/IE
            saved form info

and 45 other things

you can pick and choose what to delete and not delete

then i defrag

Lenny

Comment

Never done either.
              sigpic

Comment

Twice a week or after every installs of software's or the removal of a software. I have tried different free softwares for cleaning the computer, but I really wasn't pleased to much. Then my dad found this one and the both of us, have been using it for awhile now and we're quite pleased with it.

Updating the drivers in this program is in beta form, we have both updated all of our drivers with this and neither of us has had any problems. Out of a 5 star rating, I'll give this one a 4 1/2....

http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Never.

Comment

I end up clearing out history and cookies about once a year. Defrag is about the same. I don't like to use defrag too often because of the "mean time before failure (MTBF)" rating on the drives. Defrag can put a lot of stress on the drive and will decrease the useful life if done too often.
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                      Defrag is about the same. I don't like to use defrag too often because of the "mean time before failure (MTBF)" rating on the drives. Defrag can put a lot of stress on the drive and will decrease the useful life if done too often.
                      Will that stress be larger than the stress incurred by the significantly increased frequency of the mechanical movements of the R/W head of the drive required to read from and write to non-contiguous clusters and sectors? And that will happen on a continuous basis, as opposed to a couple of minutes the defrag takes.

In fact the reason why fragmentation is an issue is that number of mechanical operations needed to read/write heavily fragmented drives is multiplied in comparison to situations where data is in nice large blocks, not scattered all over the place.

In addition, in low end machines (that's what most people use) the disk controllers have no processors of their own so the disk operations incur additional performance hit on the CPU - sometimes as high as 50%.

These issues are somewhat less important for an average user who uses a computer to browse the net, chat and write a few emails a day, but where seek time and disk I/O is important defrag is recommended. Of course the degree of fragmentation, defragging techinques and frequency will depend on the operating system.

As far as I remember you work with IBM servers. IBM has its own OS called JFS and they include a defragging utility called defragfs. It's there for a reason.

I would be more worried about turning machines on and off. Sudden current spikes and surges when the machine is being turned on are responsible for the highest number of disk failure. I don't remember the source of that info but it claimed a rate of about 60% of HDD failures as occurring when the machine is being turned on.
                      Last edited by darius; 01-09-2009, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                        Never.
                        never

why
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                          I end up clearing out history and cookies about once a year. Defrag is about the same. I don't like to use defrag too often because of the "mean time before failure (MTBF)" rating on the drives. Defrag can put a lot of stress on the drive and will decrease the useful life if done too often.
                          Yeah, I didn't know that when I put my first computer together, Had my 75gig hard drive set to defrag every morning at 5am, worked great for about 6 months, then it shat all over itself. Thankfully Maxtor did a warranty replacement for me, and the rep mentioned that every couple of weeks was probably more than enough for a defrag.
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                            Had my 75gig hard drive set to defrag every morning at 5am, worked great for about 6 months, then it shat all over itself.
                            This doesn't prove much really.

On low end home servers (3 of them, 1 is 8 years old) I have a total of 12 drives. All are defragged automatically every day. I had one drive failure a couple of years ago and that was a newer drive. The same at work. I manage 11 servers, 60 desktops and 19 laptops. One server has defrag going daily as per support agreement of a software vendor. All the other ones are defragged daily too. The oldest server is 6 years old with 4 drives (2 x RAID1). Last year I replaced one of the drives in a server from Dell. That was a machine I bought 2 months before - practically a new machine.

Of the 60 desktops, all of which have a forced defrag weekly, at shut down, I had no (zero) drive failures in the last 4 years. I only had to replace a drive in one laptop. My boss dropped the machine while it was running.

With hard drives it's not a question of IF but WHEN they will fail. I had drives fail on me within a week, and another one, the same brand, the same same batch bought on the same day (for RAID 1) is still going after 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
                              With hard drives it's not a question of IF but WHEN they will fail. I had drives fail on me within a week, and another one, the same brand, the same same batch bought on the same day (for RAID 1) is still going after 5 years.
                              Double disk failures are also a real problem with big enough arrays, because the drives often come from the same batch, with correlated failures so the rebuild process manages to kill a second disk.

Comment

Working...
                              X