Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the snow flake that broke the caribou's back

i've had it!!

i tired of being a poor plumber.

i'm getting kicked out of my house because i can't pay my rent.

i'm having a hard time supporting my kids.

i can't pay the money i owe people.

i'm feeling like a piece of $h!t.

i feel worthless.

i figured that things were going to change when my current boss hired my on to do the plumbing as and when with our local gov't. little did i know that the gov't worker that's calling the shots has personal issues with me (he's racist). i've gotten a total of about 15hrs of work, since sept.

i was, until today trying to remain dedicated to my boss until about 1/2 an hour ago.

today is supposed to be pay day but apparently the company has switched over to a new accounting system and it wasn't ready to pay the employees today.

that means that i can't give my kids money, i can't buy fuel for the house, i can't buy food and i can't feed my dogs until i get paid.

i've had it!! i just can't frik'in take it anymore.

there is a job posting here in town for a plumber with our local housing association (social/public housing) and i'm going for it.

my lowest paycheque has been 6 hrs for 2 weeks. 6 frik'in hours. think about that.

i don't even know what a 80 hr paycheque looks like anymore.

i'm an idiot. and i have nobody to blame except myself. although i must say that the abuse i was subjected to when i was a child hasn't made life easy. this has had long lasting effects that lasted until i was in my mid 30's and i still struggle with it. anger management and couselling to reverse the teachings/damage of my a$$hole excuse for a father.

why am i sharing this with you? because you guys have shown that you care more about me than my own family, with the exception of my beautiful babies. thank God i have my kids. they are the only reason i'm here right know because if it weren't for them i would have checked out a long time ago.

i've made a dedication to my boss for the next 2 years and i don't want to let him down but i think it's about time i became a little selfish and start looking out for myself, my wonderful tammy, and my babies.

i feel real bad because i feel like i'm letting him down but at this point i feel like i've got no other choice.

not getting paid today broke my back. my inuktitut name is tooktoo, which means caribou. ironic, isn't it?

what would you do if you were in my situation?

Vince

Re: the snow flake that broke the caribou's back

vince you have seen it on this forum that is any one is having trouble with any thing they vent it out and a lot come back in a coupple day or so saying that it is getting better . so keep your chin up .for the short time i have had the pleasure of talking to you i can tell that you do not back down and you will pull through this .
    if you can do plumbing on -65* you can do any thing

i never said you have kids lets see some pictures

hang in there my friend
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Go where the money is. I too have had my bad spells recently, well things seems to be changing for the better. One day after I spill the beans in here, my luck starts to change. Maybe yours will to. You gotta do what you gotta do, to feed your family and keep em warm.

Now about your paycheck, someone should have been communicating with you, way before hand. Things happens, we all know this, but communication is the the means of a happy employee.... Good luck Vince
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Hang in there Brother!
        Kenneth Collier
        Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
        Jackson, MS 39206
        (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
        drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Hang tough man. I would put in for the plumbing job that the housing association is offering, you never know. At least go and talk to them to see if they are offering some hours and any benefits. How can you say you are dedicated to your boss? he is not dedicated to you is he? Will he feed your family and give you some place to live? doubt it!!

Hell, it sounds like you are not even working the way it is, low hours and now no money. Just tell your boss that you have to feed your family and have found better work. If he is a stand up kind of guy he will tell you to go ahead and do it and that he is not trying to hold you back from bettering yourself. It's all about making things better for the family.

Be strong Tooktoo, take some time to think things through and do not make a hasty decision.

Good luck, and may you and your family be warm and safe.

G3

Comment

I say "Slow and steady wins the race." Typically municipal hourly employment is less than the private sector. But the check is there every payday. Budgets are easily established with a base salary. You may have committed to your employer but it seems he should have been committed to you and has failed in terms of income. I say go for the housing authority job.

I wish you all the best.

Tom

Comment

Vince,

If the guy gave you 6 hours in 2 weeks how in the heck can YOU be letting HIM down when you look elsewhere? And anyway you can work your new job and still fit 3 hrs a week in for him I bet lol.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Vince, check your PM's.

Mark
                Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Hey Vince,

Hang in there but don't hang for that POS boss you got now. You made a commitment to him but it doesn't sound like he is keeping his end of the bargain so
                  I would not fell bad, he has broke the contract you two had first so the gloves are off.

Move on and don't look back. You got to do what you gotta do to take care of your own, including the dogs.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Assuming your boss owns the company, for six hours he should have pulled out his own wallet and given you the money instead of blaming it on an accounting system.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                      Assuming your boss owns the company, for six hours he should have pulled out his own wallet and given you the money instead of blaming it on an accounting system.
                      He should have made it right. You should not have to wait for your pay. They should have prepared better if they were changing pay systems so that the bugs would be worked out before something like this happened.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I am hoping you can come to a resolution to the job dilemma that you are having, and can work out a solution that you are happy with, and feel is working for you and to who ever else it effects you feel loyalty to,

I think we all some times get down on our selves, when the circumstances seem to be against us, and we question the past decisions we have made, (hind site is not what we have to make those decisions, and can only go by what one thinks is correct that the time, so do not kick your self, Yes it may be time to make a new decision, only you really know, Give you kids a hug, and think about the good things, and the blessings that have come to you in life,

I have gone through some low times in my life as well, I can not say I understand all but I do think I understand how low one can feel, and how it can be difficult to work though.

As the old saying goes, "It's always darkest before the dawn." I know it seems to you it is pretty dark right now, but the Sun will come up and light will flood the area, bring new hope, to your heart and soul.

Tooktoo I will pray for you and your family.
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Run Forrest, Run, and don't look back. A man has to eat and so do his kids. The new accounting system excuse doesn't hold water. The last time a company I worked for had accounting system problems, the owner of the company dumped the payroll money into his own account and wrote everyone a draw from his personal checking account for 75% of their gross pay, figured up on a piece of tablet paper. He then squared up plus or minus the next pay period. The accounting issue is not your fault and you shouldn't be forced to suffer. I bet your boss got his.

Next issue - 3 hours a week? Any committment verbal or otherwise is out the window. Unless you make one hell of an hourly rate, that won't feed anyone, not even a prisoner in jail. Go for the other opportunity and don't have the least guilt pang!

Comment

Vince,

You have to do what is right for your family but don't burn the bridge with your current boss when you leave. You never know but years from now that Networking may pay off big. The more people we know the more chance we have to do what we want.

Good luck - Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Vince,
                              It's good of you to want to honor the commitment you made, but at some point you and your "former" boss have to see that it's just not working out.
                              Take back your pride and commit to yourself and your family.

I agree, it is ironic that Tooktoo means Caribou. The caribou is a strong, resilient creature, much like yourself.

Good luck my friend.
                              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
                              X