Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrench Spinner or Anyone else, here's a brain tease!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrench Spinner or Anyone else, here's a brain tease!

i was doing some thinking and pondering once. yes it hurt and everyone standing close to me couldn't figure out were the smoke was coming from.

i used to deliver newspapers (wpg tribune) as a kid in winnipeg, manitoba. naturally i always read the front page and i would always see car accidents.

i always wondered (and pondered), why do people involved in high speed car accidents, always seem to hit light/power poles? even in the prairies. not a tree for miles (farmland).

here's a three other equations that have to be worked into the problem.

1 - icy, or wet highway conditions.

2 - the higher the speed of the vehicle, the greater the chance there was that the vehicle would strike a object along side the highway/road. as apposed to going in between.

3 - i think it's about 100 - 200' between poles. maybe more, maybe less.

years later, and much pondering later it dawned on me.

when i finally came to, i thought to myself, "of course, that's it!!"

i'll make a drawing of my answer in a day or so.

just a little something to tickle your fancy.

Vince
    Last edited by Vince the Plumber; 01-12-2009, 10:05 AM.

Re: Wrench Spinner or Anyone else, here's a brain tease!

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
    i always wondered (and pondered), why do people involved in car accidents, always seem to hit light/power poles? even in the prairies. not a tree for miles (farmland).
    Well if they are in the prairies, and there are no trees for miles; wouldn't the only thing along the side of the road to hit be the power poles? Otherwise they would just go off the road and hit nothing, and it wouldn't be a paper worth accident?

Comment

I know why, we'll see who else does. I'll let this run for a while.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

My first inclination was to agree with Charles but there might be another explaination.

Because there is no visual distraction other than the poles, drivers might see the poles and subconciously turn their steering wheels toward the poles. I noticed something a long time ago about driving with one headlight. When you have two headlights you are accustomed to driving toward the center of the beams. When one headlight is out there is also the tendency to drive toward the center of the remaining beam which places your vehicle either more toward the center or the side of the road. Maybe it is something like you drive toward where you look.

I am still leaning heavily toward Charles' answer.

Comment

sorry guys.

i forgot to include these words, "high speed".

Vince

i understand the reporting thing. my question is more geared to the mathematics of the accident. hint; geometry.

Comment

Let's say you are moving off the side of the road at some constant rate (as opposed to a constant angle). The faster you go, the more distance you cover for every foot you are going off the road. The more distance you cover, the more chance you have of hitting one of the poles.

Comment

looks like cpw (charles) got it.

here's a couple of drawings.

Vince
              Attached Files

Comment

looks like cpw (charles) got it.

here's a couple of drawings.

Vince
                Though that is based on the assumption that you drift at a constant velocity perpendicular to the road, as opposed to a constant angle. I wonder which is actually true.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                  Though that is based on the assumption that you drift at a constant velocity perpendicular to the road, as opposed to a constant angle. I wonder which is actually true.
                  i'm still pondering.

Vince

Chales, ever thought about getting into some type of mathematical engineering? i mean hardcore math?

Comment

i'm still pondering.

Vince

Chales, ever thought about getting into some type of mathematical engineering? i mean hardcore math?
                    Thanks for the nice compliment Vince. In college my second major was applied math, but at an undergraduate level it doesn't get very hard core compared to the really hard core stuff. In general, I am not that good at it, so don't enjoy it very much. There are lots of people that work in the same place I do that are just scary good at really hard core math (operations research, performance modeling, control theory, and all kinds of stuff like that). There is no way in the world that I could hold a candle to them, but I am pretty good at what I do (systems software development and empirical analysis).

Comment

This is what I see.

I think the chances of striking a pole on the right hand (or drivers) side of the road are greater than the opposing side.

The gap between the poles is smaller at any given speed because the approach angle of the vehicle is different.

The drawing illustrates only the drivers side, draw a second set of lines from the vehicle to a point equal distant down the road from the vehicle and the angle is greater. Side p1-p2 of triangle v1-p1-p2 is the same length as p6-p7, but the angles are all different between the two triangles. The apparent width (as measured perpendicular to the line of sight from v1) of the gap between the two poles when observed from the position of the vehicle is less for v1-p6-p7 than it is for v1-p1-p2.

p1 p2 p3 p4 p5
                      --------------------------------------------(oncoming shoulder line)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      v1
                      --------------------------------------------(drivers shoulder line)
                      p6 p7 p8 p9 p10

The farther down the road you look the smaller the 'gap' between the poles is with relation to the vehicle veering off the road at any particular angle. As that apparent gap between any two adjacent poles decreases the chance of the vehicle hitting a pole increases.

The text illustration above may appear distorted so I have included a screen snapshot below. vBulletin does not always handle spacing of characters the way you expect it to I have found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	16e955dc644ce21eec03d08aa0f011cf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	5320
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X