X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Airways Flight 1549 crashes into the Hudson River

Check your local news feed or TV station. Most of the big networks are covering this live, it just happened a short time ago.

Reportedly everyone got out without major injuries. Plane is slowly sinking in the river at 21:33 GMT. It will be getting dark here soon, in the next 20 minutes or so.

No mention of terrorism or foul play at this point.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 01-15-2009, 05:41 PM. Reason: Thanks Dunbar.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: US Airways Flight 1549 crashes into the Hudson River

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
    No mention of terrorism or fowl play at this point.

Ya think the plane has web feet to get through all of this?
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

However, a run in with some birds as or just after the plane took off is the current line of thinking by the NTSB.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      ---------
      ---------

Comment

hats off to the pilots for an amazing soft water landing. not an easy thing to do

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

This truly is a miracle. It's about time that the news has a story of hope and inspiration to tell. I didn't realize that birds were so dangerous. Since the plane can't avoid them, at any time when you're flying low enough -- a flock could accidentally fly right into you. It makes me think twice about the airplane safety I take for granted, but then again I don't fly very often.
          Martia ~ Alaska Dog Sledding

Comment

There is a facility not far from me where the NTSB and FAA test all sorts of scenarios such as birds striking windshields or entering the intake of a jet engine, flammability tests of new cabin interior materials and approval for use, new landing systems, and many other items related to aviation safety. In the past pilots came there to train too, I don't know if they still do though.
            ---------------
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

I used to work designing test equipment for an aircraft engine company. We had a new core in FAA testing in 3 different versions, all of which had to pass various object ingestion scenarios. The best was birdstrike. We built a pneumatically powered 3 barrel bird gun, with which we eventually fired ducks into the inlet of a running engine. We went through a lot of targeting issues, as we knew this would destroy the ~$2mil engine, and needed a clean shot on the first try. We eventually ended up shooting the ducks butt first, with their wings and heads tied such that they wouldn't flop open and get off target. We gassed them just before loading them into the gun; FAA specified 'freshly dead.' We found the duck pen opened up and the ducks liberated several times; just had to order more.

At least in the testing I was involved with, the engine was not meant to survive birdstrike. To pass the test, all it had to do was shut down successfully within a certain time period and not spray shrapnel such that it would come through the cabin and kill passengers.

I won't sit on a plane next to an engine; at 10k+ rpm I can see a turbine blade getting enough speed to come right through the cabin.

Also did water ingestion, ice slab, simulated hail, and sand ingestion tests.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
              X