Vacation???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vacation???

We mix mini-vacations/long weekends with the occasional big vacation. We like going up to Michigan to Sleeping Bear Dunes or Frankenmuth every once in a while. Or the Finger Lakes region of New York. We like staying in Corning (right next door to one of our members here) and taking in the glass museum and Rockwell museum (western art and sculpture) as well as Watkins Glen, the wineries, etc.

Then we seem to get to the Maine coast every ten years or so. One of my favorites. Two years ago we did one of the 12 day cruise/rail trips in Alaska. I'd never been on a cruise before. It was nice, but I liked the train ride through central Alaska better. (pics here)

The year before, we went to Bermuda for the first time since our honeymoon 24 years earlier. We were there 10 days, and I could have stayed forever! With what Alaska cost, I could have stayed in Bermuda for a month!

One day I'd like to get to Scotland.
    Steve
    www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

being a one man band i can't get away as much as i'd like. we occasionally do a long weekend on St. John.

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
        being a one man band i can't get away as much as i'd like. we occasionally do a long weekend on St. John.

steve
        What a beautiful island! I played golf there and there was a trio of holes they called "Devil's Triangle". Three holes on cliffs against the ocean. It was 90 degrees and 90%rh that day. The name was definitely appropriate!
        spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

costa rica last 11 years

new zealand all time favorite

sorry australia, the kiwis beat you out.

how about a carribean cruise round up

doesn't have to be an official ridigd sponsored event, just a forum get together

i guess we'll see how we get along at the september roundup first

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I'm on vacation 24/7-365. In the spring, I enjoy the budding of the trees, the flowers beginning to blom and the fishing openeers. Summer brings more fishing and an occasional dip in the lake when it gets to warm . Fall brings the changing of the colors, hunting and warm days with cool evenings. Winter has snowshoeing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, sitting in front of the fireplace. (like this morning when it was 38 degrees below zero! ) Of course, I am fortunate enough to live in God's country.

Comment

spodelee, were you playing the Buccaneer on STX or Mahogany Run on STT?

steve
              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                spodelee, were you playing the Buccaneer on STX or Mahogany Run on STT?

steve
                I have no idea... I remember a whole lot of jungle, unbelievable turquoise water, white sand, devil's triangle, several Mai Tais, humidity... and then I boarded our ship and went to St. Martin. Such is life on a cruise ship!

St. Martin was cool too... allot of history on that island. I think its been occupied by something like a bazillion different countries

Someday I'll return with my 90' yacht. Not.
                spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

I don't usually take vacation trips. I'm satisfied with the state that I live in. There are plenty of natural resources and most of the land remains untouched. If I had to pick a place to travel though, it would probably be Costa Rica or some tropical island, where it is very green and warm.
                  Martia ~ Alaska Dog Sledding

Comment

spodelee, you were on STT on the north side. it is a breathtaking view from there. BUT STX and STJ have so much more to offer

someday i want to go back to Costa Rica and dive the Pacific, a volcano, and the Caribbean in the same week

steve

Comment

Probably a few long weekend getaways this spring to the eastern shore of Maryland

Ridgid Roundup Elyria, OH in September

San Francisco, Ca early 2010 for a huge math convention

Then maybe another cruise somewhere. Alaska or Mediterranean, I can't decide

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        Probably a few long weekend getaways this spring to the eastern shore of Maryland

Math convention???

Is that code for some sort of S&M/Leather thong type convention? Not that there's anything wrong with it.

J.C.

Comment

after the hours I have been working between the office, plumbing and snow I know I need a vacation!!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

I thought those were held in SOUTHERN California

Comment

I love going to Eureka/Crescent City CA area. Absolutley beautiful-Return of the jedi was filmed there(ewok forest).

Been thinking of going to the Comoros Islands. I hear they have nice beaches this time of year.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                                Math convention???

Is that code for some sort of S&M/Leather thong type convention? Not that there's anything wrong with it.

J.C.
                                Expecting the worlds largest gathering of math professors. Nearly 8,000

I can get you a VIP pass and a FREE pocket protector JC

Oddest group of people you will ever meet

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                                I thought those were held in SOUTHERN California
                                I thought San Fran was in southern Cal it's not? I need a globe

We are driving down to Monterey for a few days also. Maybe we can schedule another West Coast Gathering

Comment

Working...
                                X