X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Gore where are you?

The weather folks announced 40 below zero in Chicago...I'm so happy I left there
    after the winter of '79!!!

Today in Glendale AZ it's close to 75f ABOVE ZERO!

So ..Al.... how's that global warming thing coming along?
    I would suspect you're in Australia on a beach whining about their summer heat and global warming?

What a shame and a sham you got the Nobel prize as there were so many others more worthwhile than you deserving the award!

Cactus Man

Re: Al Gore where are you?

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news...-almanac_N.htm

http://www.denisdutton.com/cooling_world.htm

Maybe global warming has been keeping the cold away for all this time. If that's the case, I'm going outside to spray some freon. I want to do my part.

Then again, it would probably freeze and fall to the ground.

-9 here with the wind, -23 Celsius for the metric folks. Kinda balmy compared to yesterday.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Wait wait wait... the reason for the cold is global warming... Anything that happens to the weather or temperature is because of global warming. Dont you guys understand the science.

Also... if there are a lot of hurricanes it is because of global warming. if there are only a couple.. you guessed it... its global warming.

Polar ice caps shrinking... global warming... polar ice caps massive expanding this year.... well.

Dont get me wrong... I am all for being responsible and I think we should do whatever we can do preserve the environment. Some folks are just good at getting everyone riled up.

Comment

There must be global warming--it went from 38 below this morning to zero at noon. I don't know if I can take the heat!

Comment

I agree, Josh, although the old Newsweek article about global cooling back in the 70's is kinda interesting. And the Farmers Almanac is always good for a chuckle and wistful reminder of past times.

I was just joking about the freon comment.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go pour some more oil on my outdoor bonfire...........

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
            There must be global warming--it went from 38 below this morning to zero at noon. I don't know if I can take the heat!
            Cold beer, my man, drink plenty of fluids to fight the scorching effects.......

Comment

I read an article from a British publication last week (not the sun) and there are now a lot of global scientists doing a total flip and warning of a coming Ice age. Go figure.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                I read an article from a British publication last week (not the sun) and there are now a lot of global scientists doing a total flip and warning of a coming Ice age. Go figure.
                Are these the same scientists that are extracting DNA from fossils, then placing the DNA in African elephants to bring back the Mammoth?

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  They have worn out their welcome for research money on the global warming front so now they are trying to tap into the return of the ice age bucket of cash.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Great.

I start a business about beating the heat, and people are going to be using snow shovels during the 4th of July.

Talk about a kick to the sh-lay-lees.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

According to the documentary "The Day After Tomorrow", the next iceage is upon us! Could be a matter of months or a couple years, will begin when the melting polar icecaps desalinate the oceans. I'm digging a shelter underground and stocking up on spam and grits. Prepare yourselves!!!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        Are these the same scientists that are extracting DNA from fossils, then placing the DNA in African elephants to bring back the Mammoth?
                        I dunno but that DNA thing sounds like it might be fun.
                        sigpic

Comment

Al Gore getting the nobel prize for global warming made me laugh when I first heard it.

What does not make me laugh are the before and after pictures of glaciers covering the last 50 years. There is solid scientific evidence of global warming, and I'm one of those lunatics that trust the scientific method.

Al Gore didn't create global warming, (he created the internetas he famously claimed), but he brought what science knows so far to the forefront. That can only be a good thing.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Here's what I know from my own research (geology major and all that):

The earth warms and cools in a natural cycle. We have gone from planet tropics to planet iceball. Our earth will continue these cycles. We have been in a warming trend for THOUSANDS of years, ever since the end of the last ice age. The current warming trend is increasing in it's rate of warming. It is quite probable that humans are the cause of the increased rate of warming.

At this point we realize that warming causes glaciers to melt. Rapidly melt. This melt-water is at a much lower salinity than ocean water. The cooler, fresh water floats on top of the more dense, warmer ocean salt water. This cooler water has the effect of shutting down the warm-water channels that bring moderate temperatures to our more northern latitudes. When that happens, you will notice things like the Thames river freezing over in London, as it did in the little ice age (that was, apparently, caused by the explosion of a large volcano that shielded the sun from the earth for a good while. I still think more research on that episode needs to be done, but that's beside the point). We will see much cooler temperatures in the Mid-Atlantic states as well. Pacific currents will also be affected, but that happens slower due to the lack of significant ice in the lower part of the north Pacific region.

So, that's a VERY basic explanation of our current thinking on this topic. There's tons of research still to be done, and a lot of number-crunching that has to happen to really explain most of it. The true effects of methane and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere still aren't really understood. We also don't have a good handle on the global air and water circulation and cause-and-effect atmospheric relationships. We seed rainclouds in the grain belt to produce enough rain to water the crops. What happens to east coast or even European weather when we do that? That's just one question, as an example of what we don't know.

I know it's really freakin cold out and tomorrow is going to be the same. I understand when they say global warming can chill the northern Atlantic land masses. If the current freezing weather is caused by the loss of the North Atlantic warm water current, then we're in for some real rough times. Y'all up in Yankee-land better get some REALLY big shovels!!
                            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks Sandy. what I have always thought is that this crap happens and has happened for millions of years and anything we do or don't do does not make a rat's heiney bit of difference one way or the other. Que Sera' Sera'

Al gore is now and has always been an opportunistic politican and the day I start believing politicians there shure as hell will be a new ice age.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X