X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renamed - The cost of fuel today

Yeah, yeah. I know. Maybe we can keep it civil. I for one want to try again.

Anyway. A lot was said about oil at the peak of the price that I would like to bring up again now that the smoke has cleared a bit. I guess the idea that we would never see $2.00 gas again was wrong. I guess the idea that we had to drill in order to see lower prices was wrong. I guess the idea that it was all because environmentalists made it impossible for the free market to work is wrong.

I still see it as a money grab before the big oil man left office myself. But I could be wrong as well. I'd love to hear the explanation from all those people who were so certain they had it figured out. No, not just because I'd like them to be a little less certain about everything they claim to have figured out (though that would be nice), but because it really makes very little sense to me. As far as I can tell we got robbed. Period. As far as I can tell those able to just got while the getting was good at the detriment of the whole nation. Is that really okay with everybody?

Eli
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 01-25-2009, 06:20 PM.
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Re: kinda political...too soon?

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post

Anyway. A lot was said about oil at the peak of the price that I would like to bring up again now that the smoke has cleared a bit. I guess the idea that we would never see $2.00 gas again was wrong. I guess the idea that we had to drill in order to see lower prices was wrong. I guess the idea that it was all because environmentalists made it impossible for the free market to work is wrong.

I still see it as a money grab before the big oil man left office myself. But I could be wrong as well. I'd love to hear the explanation from all those people who were so certain they had it figured out. No, not just because I'd like them to be a little less certain about everything they claim to have figured out (though that would be nice), but because it really makes very little sense to me. As far as I can tell we got robbed. Period. As far as I can tell those able to just got while the getting was good at the detriment of the whole nation. Is that really okay with everybody?

Eli
    Things are so messed up right now it is hard to tell but don't forget the prices started a nose dive two days after Bush signed the Executive order to remove the Federal ban on off shore drilling and have not stopped yet. In addition, China was hoarding oil so they would have enough for the Olympics. Now that the Olympics are over China has a massive surplus of oil. Lastly, the Stock Market took a dive so everyone left all commodities which made the price come down as the speculators did not want to get burned.

As for big oil I think you need to look at who really drives the cost of oil. I'm sure if OPEC and Russia could figure it out oil prices would be back on the rise.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Blaming Bush for everything makes no sense. It is a world economy and their are many other things in play than just what Bush done.

Our government is severely dysfunctional. Corruption is rampant. They vote themselves raises even when their own people suffer financially. They work when they want, vote when they feel like it.

Politicians make me sick.
      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Gotta agree with Mark here. Blaming oil prices on Bush was and is just wrong. Most of the blame can be put squarely on the backs of the commodities brokers. When the market dropped they bailed. For all those blaming the oil companies remember that they operate on a 5% net profit. That's about 1/2 of what every other business operates on.
        sigpic

Comment

I also agree with Mark. I am very happy to see Bush go, and I am a supporter of Obama, I think his policies will serve us as a nation better. But I am not blaming bush for the oil prices. People tend to blame Bush for everything, and it gets a little ridiculous. In general, people tend to think the president is somehow omnipotent, and of course it isn't true.
          The whole world economy just took a massive dump, and commodities tend to take a nosedive in these widespread recessions. Its really no surprise. Now I do think that the Bush administration's policies and lack of financial regulation played a part in the economic meltdown, so indirectly that affects oil prices.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Well, I bought into the fear of rising crude prices last Sept. and locked into heating oil at $3.99 a gallon. I could have that same gallon for $2.29 right now but that's besides the point. I don't know enough about how big oil works to make a good argument for conspiracy or inflated pricing, but I feel our economy and world consumption plays into the price. The housing market failing, wall street taking a nose dive, loss of jobs here and abroad have reduced our demand for what china, india and some of the other big suppliers were providing. Their need for oil dropped as we stopped buying. While I think alternative energy is still very important and in our best interest to pursue, I think near term we need to employ Americans in jobs that provide us with more of our consumer goods. I would like to see our economy grow instead of china, india and others, unfortunately there is not enough wealth to go around. What has happened in our country is tragic, we allowed tens of thousands of jobs to leave, taking our future earnings with them. Now we are shocked that demand for oil has dropped as our economy falls? I have said for years, "Who will buy the worlds goods when the American consumer can no longer afford them?". We may not be alone in our need for oil and it's refined products, but all those folks in the third world working for pennies an hour sure don't share our demand.

Comment

Big companies have been robbing people since the beginning of time. The politicans are in the same boat.

Comment

The "green" way of life got pissed away as soon as the cost of fuel went down.

Now, every tom dick and harry, mary jane and tammy is driving on the road. F**K YOU, F**K YOUR G-DAMN "GREEN" mentality of trying the save the world because the second the fuel prices dropped, the

world became more polluted. Now the casual driver is on the road again. Never hear about this **** when the price is down, always when it is up. Why? Because it directly affects the poor people and that's why it is a story.

The couple I worked for yesterday, 5 cars between 7 people. Cars were coming and going all day yesterday because why? Only cost $30 tops to fill a car now and NOW it's not a economic issue, nor is it a save the world talking mouthpiece.

I say bring that fuel back up to $6-$8 a gallon so the workforce, not the F-n deadbeats run the roads and the waste of fuel can be heavily controlled by the pricing alone.

6 months ago I could drive without seeing 20 cars at any given time. Now, it's 40-50 because you F-n retards think it's okay to see if there's a sale on licorice sticks at walmart. F'n Dumbasses. I going to swerve and run somebody off the road in protest today. Idiots
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

That's one thing that is enjoyable about higher fuel prices or when there is a Federal Holiday. Less people on the road.

I can't tell you how many times I've been working and look around at all these people that seem to have nothing to do. There are a ton of people that don't have to be on the road at 10 a.m. on a Tuesday.

J.C.

Comment

The cost of oil had nothing to do with Bush or the olympics or any other BS reason. It had everything, everything to do with oil speculators. Oil is traded as a commodity, same as copper or aluminum or any other precious metal. When housing started to dive, speculators jumped into oil because history shows that oil is very safe. The more that jumped in the higher they were able to drive the prices. All they are doing is legally gambeling on how much they will be able to sell that barrel of oil for. They buy at say $40 a barrel betting they will be able to sell at $42 a barrel and so on. Remember they are buying 500,000 barrels or more at a time. They were doing nothing but short selling. Buy at $100 a barrel, sell quickly the next day at $102 a barrel, and the cycle continues.

When the cost per barrel rose to a point that our country was no longer able to support, oil was being traded at $147 a barrel. When demand dropped by a reported 3%, oil speculators started diving of, leaving many, many speculators sitting with lots of oil they bought at $147 a barrel and can't sell now.

Many seem to think we will see prices that high again, I myself think the speculators are going to be slow in trying what they did a second time. There is a lot of very wealthy people stuck with some very expensive oil and nowhere to go with it but to lose massive amounts of money on it.

Consider this. The first time oil traded over $100 a barrel was earlier in 2007. The guy that bought over $100 a barrel did so purely because he wanted to be the first one in history to drive the cost over $100 a barrel for oil. That little tidbit right there should be enough to show everyone oil is nothing more than a game to many. It is a place they felt was safe to dump money when the rest of the market was wobbling. Now oil has wobbled as well, and is no longer a place to safely place money waiting for the return of the market.

Jeff

Comment

I worked a real man's job for years in order to retire and enjoy a little life before I drop dead, so if the price of gas is down you're dam right I'll be driving to Walmart to kill some time and burn some fossil fuel. You want to save money and free up traffic? Socialize the plumbing industry, government controlled pricing and government issued tiny little electric vehicles. You no longer work for profit, just the common good. Don't like that scenario? Heck why not make a gallon of gas $20 or $30 bucks? You just have to agree to take hitchers along for the ride. What a country, God forbid we start making the products we use.

Comment

Originally posted by piette View Post
                        The cost of oil had nothing to do with Bush or the olympics or any other BS reason.

Jeff

http://www.forbes.com/2008/08/27/pet...markets28.html

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          I worked a real man's job for years in order to retire and enjoy a little life before I drop dead, so if the price of gas is down you're dam right I'll be driving to Walmart to kill some time and burn some fossil fuel. You want to save money and free up traffic? Socialize the plumbing industry, government controlled pricing and government issued tiny little electric vehicles. You no longer work for profit, just the common good. Don't like that scenario? Heck why not make a gallon of gas $20 or $30 bucks? You just have to agree to take hitchers along for the ride. What a country, God forbid we start making the products we use.
                          You're talking a little crazy man??? Please don't go MasterPlumb on us.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            You're talking a little crazy man??? Please don't go MasterPlumb on us.

J.C.
                            Relax J.C., I was just being silly. I will say seriously that suggesting to raise the price of gasoline in order to free up the roads or stop people from joy riding is not something well thought out. There are plenty of folks who can barely afford $2.00 a gallon for gas and they are not using their cars for pleasure. A lot of folks need to drive in order to get their kids to school, themselves or loved ones to the doctor or a hospital for treatment and a whole host of other very necessary places that have nothing to do with work. I agree there are people who drive and accomplish nothing but crowding the roads and wasting fuel, but you can't weed them out without hurting those who do need to drive. You must know by now that I have the utmost respect for tradesmen. Just remember not everyone who worked hard is pulling in big bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post

Eli
                              I guess the people that say we need to conserve were wrong or we as Americans use to much of the world resorces were wrong also. I was suprised to find out it was speculators, but I'm glad to find out we aren't running out of oil and the American life style didn't cause the huge run up in prices. Finally something the world can't blame on Americans. Just remember oil is a world wide traded commodity It wasn't just American traders driving the price up through speculation.

Comment

Working...
                              X