X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• footwear

what do the pros out there use to keep their feet warm when working outdoors? seems like wool socks are a must, but does anyone have any favorite tricks or specific footwear that aids in this terribly important area?
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Re: footwear

Chippewa work boots 400 gram insulation logger boot in the winter no steel toe, not wool but "smart wool" a lot better than real wool. In the summer, cotton socks are fine with a pair of redwing loggers, steel toe only 200 gram insulation always everything is waterproof. I never know what I am doing from one day to the next so these combinations can handle just about anything!

Comment

Also, what have you found holds up the best? I'm tired of burning through a pair of sneakers every 2-3 months doing DIY work.

Comment

Finer,
        I've worked outside in subzero temps just about my entire lifetime and the best trick I've ever come across for keeping the toes toasty is a liner sock, like a lightweight wool or polypro liner, followed by a plastic bag, like a large sized Baggie. Over that goes a heavy wool sock, and then your boots, preferably a pac type for cold and snow, or an insulated leather work boot like a Red Wing or a White's. Make sure you have enough ROOM in those boots for the two socks, the baggie and your foot. Nothing freezes up faster than a foot that is stuffed too tightly into a boot. If you need steel toes, the hard plastic toes won't take the warmth out and let the cold in like steel toes. They both offer the toe protection you need. The theory behind the liner, baggie and wool sock is this. Your foot sweats and the perspiration quickly gets the insulating layer(wool outside sock) soaked which conducts the heat away and the cold comes in. With the plastic in between, the insulating sock stays dry and continues to insulate. If you sweat a lot , may need to change liner socks around half day mark. If not should be good for a full day. Sounds nuts, but it works wonders. Try it, you'll be shocked and still comfortable at day's end. Learned it years ago from the old Backpacking Magazine.

Charles, if you're still doing DIY projects in tennis shoes, you're going to get hurt badly one day and regret it. Even home projects have pitfalls like falling doors, bricks, nail hazards, etc. I have one neighbor who has hurt himself numerous times on DIY projects cause he insists on wearing sneakers. I won't work with him anymore unless he puts on work boots. Tired of taking him to the hospital for repairs. Cuts into our work time. Get a good pair or work boots and don't look back. Doesn't have to be $300 pair of White's. Even a pair of Sketchers boots with a hard toe will protect arch, toes and instep in a work environment. PPE is something all too often overlooked by the home/weekend warrier. Buying a pair of decent boots will also stop you from wearing out sneakers 3 times a year. Cheers.
        Jim Don

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
          Chippewa work boots 400 gram insulation logger boot in the winter no steel toe, not wool but "smart wool" a lot better than real wool. In the summer, cotton socks are fine with a pair of redwing loggers, steel toe only 200 gram insulation always everything is waterproof. I never know what I am doing from one day to the next so these combinations can handle just about anything!
          I agree insultated boots and no steel toe is you don't need it for safety. I felt wearing two pairs of socks helped a little but no matter what I did, if I was forced to stand around in the cold for extended periods of time the cold eventually worked it's way inside. "smart wool" or some other advanced material that deals with moisture must help at least in the short term. One last idea is to have two pairs of boots and alternate them so that they have a chance to really dry out from the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
            Also, what have you found holds up the best? I'm tired of burning through a pair of sneakers every 2-3 months doing DIY work.
            RedWings. Buy the ones made in Minnesota. They have other brands (Worx etc) made overseas that I've heard negative things from others about. Gonna' cost $150+ but you'll have them for a long time.

I've posted many times I wear RedWing 953's. I think they make a lowtop version. These are a pretty plain leather version. No lining of any kind. Smooth sole-very little mud or leaves.

J.C.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/productd...px?prodid=1061
            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-26-2009, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Charles, JimDon and J.C. have given you excellent advice and suggestions. A simple 2x4 falling onto your foot can hurt like heck and a sneaker will not offer much protection at all. Wheter it is a work boot or lighter work shoe, your feet will be better protected, they will last far longer and lastly, your feet will have better support as you grow older. I know this might not seem important now but trust me as you age your feet will let know you how they have been treated throught the years. Save those sneakers for the gym, a jog or some lazy time around the house.

Comment

I have several hunt boots I wear, depending on the weather. Pac boots (cabela's own brand) are for the very coldest weather. They're waterproof and bulky. They have liners that you can take out and dry. The felt liners in these boots are the best things I've ever found for keeping your feet dry and warm. Even if your feet sweat a lot, these things stay dry! For milder temps (anything above 12farenheit or so), I'll wear the Cabela's 10" standard hunt boot. Great boots, but they are really heavy. I also have a pair of duck-types that zip up, and I use those for warmer weather and general around-camp stuff.

No matter what boot, I have a bunch of Smartwool socks. One pair only! If the boots are too tight, you will get frozen foot no matter what you do. I find the Smartwool socks really help to wick moisture and keep your feet warm.

Right after Christmas this year, I was at the Tractor Supply store and found a pair of nifty work boots in my size. I forget the brand, but they have a liner! They're really good at keeping your feet warm and cozy, and since you take the liner out at night, they stay warm. I don't know how well they'll stand up to use, but we'll see!
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

The most important feature I've found in boots over the years is Gore-Tex lining. Pair that up with some Thinsulate and you've got a boot that's good for most seasons. Certainly will cost some more, but comfort and range of use is priceless. I wear a heavy duty Matterhorn 10 inch boot which is fine for the odd time I'm messing around with stuff in the winter or spring. They're kinda heavy for the summer, yet I've worn them using the chainsaw and they were damn good. You might want to check out Matterhorn's product listing and see if anything appeals to you.

If possible, as previously mentioned, rotate boots from day to day, not wearing the same boots two days in a row. Boot dryers/cedar balls/cedar trees help to keep everything fresh as well.

I keep a lot of shoes in the basement, and I find that if I don't use a cedar tree on the boot or shoe that a little of the coolness can find it's way into the shoe or boot. You don't want to start out with a cold boot on a cold day.
                  I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                    I have several hunt boots I wear, depending on the weather. Pac boots (cabela's own brand) are for the very coldest weather. They're waterproof and bulky. They have liners that you can take out and dry. The felt liners in these boots are the best things I've ever found for keeping your feet dry and warm. Even if your feet sweat a lot, these things stay dry! For milder temps (anything above 12farenheit or so), I'll wear the Cabela's 10" standard hunt boot. Great boots, but they are really heavy. I also have a pair of duck-types that zip up, and I use those for warmer weather and general around-camp stuff.

No matter what boot, I have a bunch of Smartwool socks. One pair only! If the boots are too tight, you will get frozen foot no matter what you do. I find the Smartwool socks really help to wick moisture and keep your feet warm.

Right after Christmas this year, I was at the Tractor Supply store and found a pair of nifty work boots in my size. I forget the brand, but they have a liner! They're really good at keeping your feet warm and cozy, and since you take the liner out at night, they stay warm. I don't know how well they'll stand up to use, but we'll see!
                    I think Sandy has the best info so far, because she notes the importance of having different boots for different seasons. As well, the Smartwool socks keep you warm in winter and cool in summer. Some of the other synthetic-type materials made by Under Armour in their socks and shorts do a fantastic job of keeping the sweat from your skin, which keeps that from making you cold and uncomfortable.

If using two pairs of standard socks, I prefer a cotton sport sock with a wool over it - at leas you've got a layer for a sweat barrier, much like an undershirt. Some of the new synthetics are even better, yet pricier than cotton or standard wool.
                    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

As far as socks go. I started using UnderArmour socks this winter when I hunted and my feet stayed warm. So I am now wearing them full time. Supposedly they keep your feet cool in the summertime. I will find out later in the year on that one. While they are fairly high in price they have kept my feet warm the last 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        Charles, JimDon and J.C. have given you excellent advice and suggestions. A simple 2x4 falling onto your foot can hurt like heck and a sneaker will not offer much protection at all. Wheter it is a work boot or lighter work shoe, your feet will be better protected, they will last far longer and lastly, your feet will have better support as you grow older. I know this might not seem important now but trust me as you age your feet will let know you how they have been treated throught the years. Save those sneakers for the gym, a jog or some lazy time around the house.
                        That 2 x 4 will cause you problems for many years to come.Wear the boots,keep up the good posts.
                        Kenneth Collier
                        Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                        Jackson, MS 39206
                        (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                        drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

RedWings. 2 years old and 2 days old. The 2 year ones still have some good life.

J.C.
                          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            RedWings. 2 years old and 2 days old. The 2 year ones still have some good life.

J.C.
                            Dah missus has hersef does same kind.Boy shee's sho sexy in dem wif her pink poka dot dress,nobby knees and corn cob pipe in betwixd her mustached mouf.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              Dah missus has hersef does same kind.Boy shee's sho sexy in dem wif her pink poka dot dress,nobby knees and corn cob pipe in betwixd her mustached mouf.
                              They do look kind of "Olive Oilish" now that I think about it.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X