X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gee Wizz Thanks Al

As the econonomy gets worse and worse the intrest in global warming will get less and less.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      As the econonomy gets worse and worse the intrest in global warming will get less and less.
      I think you're right there. Cutting your "Carbon footprint" is a luxury that few will care about when it comes to choosing between that and other luxuries.

Comment

I watched that documentary about global warming and the thing that stood out to me the most was that the earths temperature hasn't been this high since The ROMAN ERA.Hmm wasn't that a little before the industrial age and
        all the stuff that we are supposedly doing to the earth?

Comment

Originally posted by cjmacph View Post
          I watched that documentary about global warming and the thing that stood out to me the most was that the earths temperature hasn't been this high since The ROMAN ERA.Hmm wasn't that a little before the industrial age and
          all the stuff that we are supposedly doing to the earth?
          That proves my point from my earlier post that the Earth has normal heating/cooling cycles. We humans have come to our current point during a rather extended warming period that began at the end of the last great ice age (probably 10,000 to 15,000 or so years ago). Since that great ice age, we have seen smaller dips in temperature such as the mini ice age that was apparently caused by a large volcanic explosion.

One thing that's important to note. The movie "The Day After Tomorrow" is NOT a documentary!! That movie is perhaps rooted in science, but it bears little or no real factual information. There will not be huge global storms that destroy the planet's climate in days.

Yes, the cool fresh meltwater from the north Atlantic can (and probably will) cause the North Atlantic warm-water current to shut down. This will cause a major cooling of the Mid-atlantic states and places like England and France. It would cause the Thames River in London to freeze, as well as the Chesapeake Bay in the US. We saw this before, and I remember growing up on the bay that it did freeze at times during the winter. I haven't seen that in more than 20 years, so that little bit of observational information does lend itself towards proving global warming.

The northern Pacific doesn't have any large ice sheets like in the Atlantic. In the Atlantic the Greenland ice sheet, which is melting rapidly, dumps tons and tons of fresh meltwater into the ocean. Since there is no Greenland in the Pacific, that warm-water current doesn't get shut down AS FAST. It will, most likely, stop flowing some time after the Atlantic since the two are connected. Then again, the theory that the Pacific warm water current and the Atlantic are related is just that. Theory.

The climate is an incredibly complex thing, with as many variables as there are people on the Earth and chemicals in the air, and many many other factors. To date, given all the computing power available right now, we cannot model the climate reliably. There are still things we don't know or can't understand. Interactions of warm air and water, along with the tilt of the Earth and our proximity to the sun are also parts of the equation. Every time we think we have it, momma Nature decides to teach us a lesson and throws something totally new at us.

At the end of the day, all we can say is the Earth's temperature is rising. It's rate of rise is increasing. This is an alarming observation. We still don't really know all the factors, but it's obvious that we are pumping greenhouse gasses into the air. Is that the cause for the rate of rise? We don't know, probably never will. We can't keep going like we have been. There are so many reasons to stop our addiction to oil, on top of climate, we need to change our ways and change now. The climate reason just becomes one more factor to make us change.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Global warming working here as well. Snowing like crazy on top of the ice storm we had yesterday. I am thinking of putting my shorts on and grilling out. LOL

Comment

Yeah, Yeah, it's all funny until we start freezing in our tracks like the dinosaurs. The end is coming stock up on grits and spam, dig deep into the earth. Save yourselves................

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                It was scary at first, out of work for four months, living in a hotel three hours away, didn't know what we were going to do. And my story is nothing.

I know a guy in his eighties who lost his sister and two nephews, missing without a trace, no bodies. 1500 others dead also.

Can't sit around feeling sorry for yourself though. Got alot of help from FEMA. Started my own business and I never looked back. Took lemons and made lemonade type story.

Alot of people couldn't deal with what happened and are still having a hard time recovering. I hear the stories all of the time still. Contractor stole my money, insurance screwed me, local government can't get their $h:t together holding up the process. High suicide rates. Murder rate undeterred by storm.

There's just something about this place we love though.
                Lenny,glad you and yours made it.

congrats on the business startup.

when are you going to set that mule down?(joking)(I have seen that picture many times)
                Kenneth Collier
                Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                Jackson, MS 39206
                (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

I just got a call from a bar and Grill with a frozen water main in the town of The Forks. It's about 2hrs away on a good day, over a twisting, turning, hilly road with log trucks driving about 65-70mph. On a normal day I've had some close calls between the moose and log trucks on that road. Today with well over 1' of snow falling I said NO NOT TODAY. I felt pretty bad as the guy is going to lose $$ because he has to shut down. Then he tells me he's been froze for three days already. So why did he wait till the storm just started then call????
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Never makes sense does it. Now they'll put it on your shoulders because they had to close. People are ignorant.

I've been shut down for 2 days now and we're at a level 3 emergency; don't get caught on the roads for anything or they'll write you a ticket.

Supply houses are shut down, hell everything is shut down.

I needed time off though.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                      I've been shut down for 2 days now and we're at a level 3 emergency; don't get caught on the roads for anything or they'll write you a ticket.
                      How much snow do you have? I don't think they would do that in NY for any amount.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                        How much snow do you have? I don't think they would do that in NY for any amount.

They are idiots down here. We don't get snowstorms with ice like this much so it's "BLIZZARD OF 2009!" and they play it up big time. News has been removing all shows today until just recently.

It's not complete till they show a poor neighborhood with some women with 3 teeth talk about it at a gas station dragging on a cigarrette that she couldn't work today and her kids got no milk. Then she laughs about something, triggering that smoker's cough we've all come to love.

Everything shut down; schools/businesses/everything over a few inches of snow.

www.nky.com www.cincinnati.com www.wlwt.com
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I knew this would be a fun thread

When I graduated high school they were all warning of a coming ice age due to global cooling. Global warming is voodoo science at best and a huge scam designed to sell crap as well as a way for research morons to get grant money. Even if all the people on the face of the earth stopped spewing carbon into the atmosphere it would make absolutly zero difference. The earth itself expells 99.9% of greenhouse gasses all by itself with no help from us. Then there's the idiot's getting money to figure out how much methane cow fart's contribute. Give me a break. I feel bad for the younger generation because you have been spoon fed this crap while you were in school. It almost reminds me of the generation that thinks FDR was a great President.
                          sigpic

Comment

I wish we had a way to rate our Thanks because I would give NH a 10 out of 10.

"Global warming is voodoo science at best"
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

The former chief meteorological scientist at NASA, Dr. John S Theon, has come out claiming he doesn't believe that global warming is man-made. He has also slammed his employee, Hansen, as being a tool of a political battle in climate wars. It's kind of funny, really. NASA publishes the GISS data set of global temperatures. They have come under fire for manipulating the data, and it appears Hansen was the one that did that. The GISS numbers do not correlate to ANY OTHER known data set. Britain, France, and others have their own data sets that put together jive pretty well, until you add in the US's GISS data that is way off kilter. I can't stand politics in science and this is a prime example of why.

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.c...d-ecd53cd3d320 << that is an explanation of Dr John S. Theon's position paper.

The article goes on to say
                              Originally posted by epw.senate.gov
                              Gore faces a much different scientific climate in 2009 than the one he faced in 2006 when his film An Inconvenient Truth was released. According to satellite data, the Earth has cooled since Gore’s film was released, Antarctic sea ice extent has grown to record levels, sea level rise has slowed, ocean temperatures have failed to warm, and more and more scientists have publicly declared their dissent from man-made climate fears as peer-reviewed studies continue to man-made counter warming fears.
                              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Sandy,
                                How am suppose to be brain washed into believing this "global warming" thing if you keep butting in with FACTS? How did you find facts? I Think The Ministry Of Truth will not be happy, and the Thought Police will surely be knocking your door down soon!

I'm trying to be a good comrade and follow the herd. My telescreen tells me "global warming" is real, therefore it IS!!

I'm Playing with Orwell's 1984.

Comment

Working...
                                X