Remove Tax?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove Tax?

Why not remove all taxes associated with buying a new vehicle that has majority labor & parts made in the U.S.?

What do you think?

J.C.

Re: Remove Tax?

J.C., it's a good idea and worth a try. I heard one republican legislator mention suspending ALL withholding taxes for a year in order to stimulate the economy. I still think unless we can employ Americans to make most of our consumer goods as we did years ago, the economy will not recover. There are so many leaky holes in our bucket and pouring more water into it won't plug them up. Obama was supposed to go through the budget with a scalpel and yet the proposed stimulus package is loaded with useless pork that will do nothing to create jobs. I don't see the point of government paid for jobs in the first place. All that means is taxpayers paying to support more people only differently than welfare or unemployment. What are the folks who run our government really planing to do? Along the lines of Jack Nicholson in the movie "A Few Good Men", when on the witness stand said something like "Please don't tell me that's all you have". Please don't tell me the best plan they have is to spend billions and "Hope" things will turn out fine!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Why not remove all taxes associated with buying a new vehicle that has majority labor & parts made in the U.S.?

What do you think?

J.C.
      My first thought is that I would like to get rid of as many taxes as possible. My second thought is it will be very hard logistically, because there are so many taxes; most of them not federal. I can think of the following: sales tax (in NY), property tax (in other places), tags/title. What about federal/state income tax on the interest for the loan?

The federal government can't stop NY from taxing it, because IIRC it is in the constitution that the feds can't interfere with the states ability to levy taxes (or vice versa). Thus the feds would have to pony up the cash, and states like NH w/o sales tax would probably be annoyed they aren't getting the free money.

Comment

That's kind of what I was thinking Franki. Try to find ways to keep money moving here (which is really all an economy does) but at the same time help some U.S. industries. And it gives a double incentive-buy American & save money.

I'd rather do that & get something in the driveway for my money than to just give some automakers money without a good plan for it. The consumer feels like they have some say in it all.

Just thinking.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
          My first thought is that I would like to get rid of as many taxes as possible. My second thought is it will be very hard logistically, because there are so many taxes; most of them not federal. I can think of the following: sales tax (in NY), property tax (in other places), tags/title. What about federal/state income tax on the interest for the loan?

The federal government can't stop NY from taxing it, because IIRC it is in the constitution that the feds can't interfere with the states ability to levy taxes (or vice versa). Thus the feds would have to pony up the cash, and states like NH w/o sales tax would probably be annoyed they aren't getting the free money.
          Thanks. I'm not as educated on state tax law as you apparently are. I do think that something like what I mention must be tried though. Governments are ran by people. And in my experience most people don't have an eye on efficiency when they have what appears to be an abundance of anything or the potential to gain abundance.

A simple example is that if I have a job that needs 100' of pipe with estimated 5% waste based on the blueprints, I better not send out 200' because you'll all of a sudden see higher % waste on the job.

The more tax you give them, the more they will spend it.

J.C.
          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-28-2009, 06:01 PM.

Comment

seems like if a particular State were to offer to waive all taxes on vehicles produced here it would have a similar effect, even better if all states did it, but you still run into local taxes, a lot of logistics to deal with.

I'm still a huge fan of the Fairtax, and for cutting the crap out of our federal budget.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              The more tax you give them, the more they will spend it.
              I just wanted to quote this because it is so true!

Comment

My favorite line ever goes something like this:

"Giving money and power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenagers."

- P.J. O'Rourke (I think)
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Heard this might be on a Bill soon.

Are government leaders reading my posts?!?!?!

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                  X