X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with ATVs

One of the guys on an ATV Forum I belong to posted this video of his less than a year old ATV he crashed. The insurance company totaled his ATV so he will get a new one but watching this video helps me appreciate todays technology with video cameras and the Internet. Ten years ago these would have just been stories left up to interpretation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_xp1s5S8q4

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Fun with ATVs

i didn't even click the arrow button. i can't watch stuff like that. i get anal.

up here in rankin, we've been called the atv capitol of the world. we drive around on atv's like you southern folk drive your cars and trucks.

we joke up here when we watch "professional" atv riders from the south talk about how "tough" it is. 1 mile across the land up at speed is tempting fate.

Vince

did you know it's possible to make a street legal atv??
    Last edited by Vince the Plumber; 01-31-2009, 03:51 AM.

Comment

This guy was total amature. He has a heavy after-market basket on the back of his quad and is trying to make it up a hill. Not only does he not make it up the hill but the quad rolls away and goes over a cliff. I'll have to listen to the video again but I think I hear his wife predict the quad will be totalled before she acknowledges her husband could have been hurt.

Mark
      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 01-31-2009, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Im surprised at how little damage the atv had after the fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
          Im surprised at how little damage the atv had after the fall.
          Thats what I was thinking.
          In the end his atv still looks better then my old trail pig.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

In the post he says it was totalled out so I an guessing there is damage to the frame and motor.

Mark

Comment

The insurance policies governing these ATV's must be very loose and lenient. I could see paying a claim for theft, or damage incurred while traversing various terrain but it appeared the incline was really steep and the driver assumed the greater risk without considering the consequences. I understand these are recreational vehicles, meant for fun but when good judgement goes out the window who pays for the insurance claims? I enjoy watching 4x4 rock crawling and such but when those folks roll over or incur other damage to the vehicle I'm sure they don't put in a claim. Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                The insurance policies governing these ATV's must be very loose and lenient. I could see paying a claim for theft, or damage incurred while traversing various terrain but it appeared the incline was really steep and the driver assumed the greater risk without considering the consequences. I understand these are recreational vehicles, meant for fun but when good judgement goes out the window who pays for the insurance claims? I enjoy watching 4x4 rock crawling and such but when those folks roll over or incur other damage to the vehicle I'm sure they don't put in a claim. Am I wrong?
                I believe the big difference here is he probably financed the ATV so he was required to have insurance. Most Rock Crawlers grab a torch and convert their old 4X4 without securing insurance assuming it would even be available.

Mark

Comment

They forgot to thank the dog in the closing credits.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    I believe the big difference here is he probably financed the ATV so he was required to have insurance. Most Rock Crawlers grab a torch and convert their old 4X4 without securing insurance assuming it would even be available.

Mark
                    Thanks Mark. I wonder how the insurance works for snowmobiles and jetskiis? In other words, you can probably get insurance, but would they pay a claim if let's say you were jumping off a ramp or some other risky manuever?

Comment

Thanks Mark. I wonder how the insurance works for snowmobiles and jetskiis? In other words, you can probably get insurance, but would they pay a claim if let's say you were jumping off a ramp or some other risky manuever?
                      There is probably some exclusions in the policy which disallows claims for accidents during organized events or races but not for operator error like this. This guy really did not do anything the quad was not made for. His problem is there was a big cliff where his quad should have stopped tumbling. My middle son did something very similar with my wife's 2-day old quad many years ago. The difference was there was not a cliff at the bottom of the hill so it was just a matter of replacing the front and rear racks. My oldest son crashed my quad a month earlier in the desert so the middle one thought he had an out. I still made both of them pay for their damages.

My favorite of all crashes was we had just driven 600-miles to go riding. My youngest son was taking a quad off of the trailer and thought he would play on the ice in the rest area from an irrigation ditch which had overflowed. He wasn't going fast but his tire caught while he was spinning and the quad flipped snapping the brake lever off. Not much damage except that I had to drive 180-miles each way to buy the closet replacement part. Accidents on quads are fairly common, totalling a quad is not.

Mark

Comment

The insurance for my jetski would and the same for snowmobiles as well. When you get insurance on these toys, you are paying for being dumb basically. Insurance for snowmobiles and jetski's is not cheap. And that is the reason why.

Heck my homeowners insurance, state farm, pays out if for the same crap. My insurance agent said they do have the dumb *** clause, and it pays. If I drop a tree on my house while cutting it down, they pay for it. Same type of thing in my opinion.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by piette View Post
                          The insurance for my jetski would and the same for snowmobiles as well. When you get insurance on these toys, you are paying for being dumb basically. Insurance for snowmobiles and jetski's is not cheap. And that is the reason why.

Heck my homeowners insurance, state farm, pays out if for the same crap. My insurance agent said they do have the dumb *** clause, and it pays. If I drop a tree on my house while cutting it down, they pay for it. Same type of thing in my opinion.

Jeff
                          Funny you mention dropping a tree on the house. Almost twenty years ago I did just that in my "New House". Thought I had the tree safely jacked away from the house and made my proper cuts, but once it started to fall and slack got in the line it spun around and landed on the roof. The roof got crushed and a window exploded. "Dumb *** clause" I got it, loud and clear. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X