Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swap Shop / Flea Market - Kicking around the idea.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Swap Shop / Flea Market - Kicking around the idea.

I like the idea, I'm just concerned about the impact to our "family". If, say, Rick (ONLY AN EXAMPLE!!!) posts a bunch of stuff he picks up at a yard sale and starts making a bunch of money (yeah yeah...like he'd make a bunch of money off us!) is that a bad thing? If someone has to moderate a well-respected member, there could be backlash. The rules have to be very well thought out and posted. I like the idea of senior members only being able to sell.

One idea I had was that we could post things we make for "exclusive sale" to the forum members first. The item for sale here must not be available for sale through Craig's List or Ebay or any other venue. That goes for anything for sale. For the hand-made items, the items are offered here first for a limited time, then the seller can take the items to any other venue.

I need a bidet seat. Let's get this going!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      you think i have a lot of post now

if i were to list all my excess goods, it would turn the 200,000 post thread history.

maybe what would be better is to only allow a person to post what they want. then people like myself can respond via a p.m. and try to hash out the deal.

someone wants a special tool, hard to find part, they post and we then respond with the p.m. the original poster then can cancel the need if its been filled.

truthfully, i think this is a better way to keep it from getting out of hand

chances are we all have stuff to sell, trade. but if we all start to post what we have for sale, it will actually distract from the forum we've worked hard on to keep it a tight knit group.

think about it

rick.
      Rick, I think this is an idea that should be considered. It could aleviate a number of problems as you say.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I would like to have some way to offer things for sale. My step-father died and when his kids get around to it, probably this summer, they will sell his complete woodworking shop. Since my step-sibs are all from out of town everything will probably be sold in a lot to someone who will resell the stuff. I have been trying to think of a way to offer the stuff to forum members first and this might work. I would probably have violated protocol and posted some of the stuff since it is all in excellent shape eg two of those huge General 220 v table saws, one set up for crosscutting and one set up for ripping neither has over ten hours on it. A swap/sell area would keep me 'legal.'

Comment

Sounds like a good ideal. Hope it works for the forum.

shup

Comment

Man, this thread is on a roll.
            Kenneth Collier
            Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
            Jackson, MS 39206
            (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
            drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

I too would love to see it happen. I am a member at several other forums, all of which have classified areas. Some of them do have problems, but those problems would be almost entirely eliminated by having a 100 post rule. Nearly every problem is created by new people who just come to sell things and have no respect whatsoever for the other members.

Please give it a try.

Jeff

Comment

I'm polishing my junk right now

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  Oh how I'd love to send this one into ORBIT!!!
                  I got at least three different lines for this one Crack.

Comment

Sounds personal. Does Anita know what you are talking about on the internet?
                    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

Oh Great,
                      You just had to go and say it.

Moe,
                      SHUSH!!!
                      Your only justifieing the demand for his tools.
                      The smart thing to do is align yourself with us feeding this type A heart attack candidate milkshakes and artery clogging burgers.The hard part will be trying to barter with Joey.Rick definately picked a good one to take care of his toys.
                      Are you kidding? we have to keep him going, the venom and bile that come out in the drum v sectional threads is awesome.
                      and besides, i'd never even Heard of a sectional before I started reading this forum
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

see there you go

what you do behind closed doors, should not be shared with the rest of the forum

see if i offer you another cherry

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

Now what did Joey warn you about the last time you got caught in Room #126?

Mark

"Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            Rick,

Mark

Somebody get Shlinkski from Vice down here.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              Rick,

Mark

she understands

it was just me and my k-60 with a blond wig

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

This is the problem we have now:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23201

It's only an occasional (once or twice a week) occurrence. I usually report these and they get handled fairly quickly before too much damage is done (excessive postings by the offender).

How bad would/could it get if we have a defined selling area?

In this case the 100 post limit would not have stopped this, because you have zero control of the content of a posting by anyone other than to report it. So for these situations the only realistic way to deal with them is to quietly report questionable activity and let the moderators or administrators respond accordingly and do not respond to the post. A reply just bumps it to the top of active posts where it will get noticed even more, thereby accomplishing the perpetrators objective.

Josh, can the "Report this post" button be programmed to quarantine or otherwise temporarily hide a post once reported until it is reviewed by a moderator? This gets the potentially objective material off the forum until given a once over. If any senior member could hit the button to report such posts and at the same time get the suspect post blocked from further viewing until reviewed it would lessen the time that the post was visible on the forum. If this power got abused then that person could be dealt with as need be.

Maybe this is all getting to be too draconian or overbearing I don't know. These are just some ideas to deal with things if it gets out of hand. I am not worried about our regular members no matter how long they have been here, its the ones that come in only to market their wares that worry me. I just don't want to see a excellent forum go to pieces over something like this.
                                ---------------
                                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                                ---------------
                                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                                ---------
                                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                                ---------
                                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X