Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swap Shop / Flea Market - Kicking around the idea.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swap Shop / Flea Market - Kicking around the idea.

Ok... so I am contemplating giving this a shot. I wanted to start a discussion so you guys could help me put together rules. Lets hash out the pluses and minuses as well as thinking about the impact on the community. Here is a start for a potential rule set. Please don't view this as an indication that this will happen. I just want to talk this one out.

------------------------------------
    RULES

1. The Flea Market and Swap Shop is for non-commercial sales and trades only.
    2. This section was setup for individuals to sell or trade used gear.
    3. Posting external links to Ebay items is not allowed under any circumstance.
    4. Etiquette demands that posters do not make posts that are negative in nature to the the items being listed.
    5. The RIDGIDForum and RIDGID have no liability for transactions in the Flea Market or through email/PMs, and we cannot assist in dispute resolution.
    6. Policies may be changed over time.
    7. All purchases and interactions are AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Violation of these rules will result in the removal of thread and may result in being banned from the forum.
    --------------------------------------

Who knows.. maybe this could be a new section of the forum. or maybe I will get in trouble and be asked to remove the thread ;-)

Re: Swap Shop / Flea Market - Kicking around the idea.

Cool,I think Crack just picked up something I want.

Comment

Capitol idea! I wish to swap my wife for a younger model.
      sigpic

Comment

Josh, one thing that for sure will happen is that the rules will not be followed. Are you willing to deal with the moderating hassles that will most likely occur.

If you go ahead with this, I'd really like to see you also ban the posting of ANY craigslist ads. In most cases they would only benefit a local audience anyways.

Even though I don't have one, my vote is that this is a bad idea and shouldn't happen.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Depending on how folks conduct themselves it could be a great idea. I think it would have to be restricted to tools, machines and such and nothing else. Imagine a tradesman who is either retiring or just getting out of the business? He would have a perfect place to advertise and sell his tools. There will be problems such as guys dumping either stolen or defective items but the positives would outweigh the bad given the character of most of the folks on this Forum.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            Josh, one thing that for sure will happen is that the rules will not be followed. Are you willing to deal with the moderating hassles that will most likely occur.

If you go ahead with this, I'd really like to see you also ban the posting of ANY craigslist ads. In most cases they would only benefit a local audience anyways.

Even though I don't have one, my vote is that this is a bad idea and shouldn't happen.
            Dave,
            Have you seen people try this on other forums.
            As of right now I think I've seen items for sale/swap on other forums.I just have never followed it.

Are people that disrespectful?

If so forget it.

I also suggest no toilet seat bidets.

Comment

It would be fine. Must have 3,000 posts to buy or sell though.

Locked out otherwise.

J.C.

Comment

That,s all you need.Good ideal Josh.
                Kenneth Collier
                Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                Jackson, MS 39206
                (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Not my idea.. it has been brought up tons of times. Just a hard place to go.

Josh

Comment

I like the idea

If it doesn't work out, just shut it down...no biggie

Senior member seller/swappers only

I think it will bring more people to the Forum. Not sure if that's good or bad?

eBay is a bit of a hassle to sell from. Besides, the rates are too high.

I've done well on Craigslist but when it comes to selling some odd plumbing tools I got no takers

My tool fund is currently is at an all time low

Anita: "sell the tools junking up my closets!!"

Comment

I think it is a good idea....

This area should be by invitation only (If you lock it up it should keep the spammers out as well as give a little more control.)

Maybe we have to give Josh our license number or numbers to be vetted for this area??? (just a thought)

I would also consider making it no bid... (think newspaper classified adds with pictures)

Spammer and scammer control will determine if it thrives or fails

Okie
                      Last edited by OkieBill; 02-05-2009, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        Dave,
                        Have you seen people try this on other forums.
                        Yes.
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

....Senior member seller/swappers only...
                          I am more or less neutral on the idea. I think there are plenty of places already to post such items for sale or swap or wanted. I've gone on record before as stating I don't think it would work out, but that is only one opinion. If enough people want to give it a shot then give it a trial period of a month or two and see how it goes. One way to control it in the beginning would be that all posts for items to the swap-n-shop area must be reviewed before they get posted. This puts a big manual burden on some people but it would prevent it from getting out of hand.

But, if you decide to give it a try it needs to be controlled. If someone can sign up today and tomorrow or next week they are listing items I think you will have more trouble than it is worth. If you limit it to as suggested above (senior level members = 100+posts), then you will stop a lot of the problems we see with people coming on here now and offering items for sale that really have no relevance to any forum section.

Will this be unrestricted in what can be listed? Can I sell my hunting dog, a used washing machine, or my old lawn mower?

Or will/should it be limited to trade related items?
                          Maybe have two to three areas, one for plumbing related stuff, one for woodworking, and one for everything else.

I don't know how much free time you have Josh to monitor this. Maybe you have some help that can assist, maybe it will require some volunteer help from the ranks.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I think it is a good idea and only members 79 or older get to bid first and their bids must be accepted. Just kidding.
                            This is good but I would rather see the time for ridgid to monitor this be put to straightning out the warranty problems.

Comment

Originally posted by harrison2119 View Post
                              I think it is a good idea and only members 79 or older get to bid first and their bids must be accepted. Just kidding.
                              This is good but I would rather see the time for ridgid to monitor this be put to straightning out the warranty problems.
                              Don't forget the requirement to have at least 35 years in the trade and at least 10 years supervisory experience! AND WE THOUGHT POLITICAL BICKERING WAS BAD!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X