Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

No Health Insurance

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: No Health Insurance

    Originally posted by Gizmoman View Post
    I had bi-lateral knee replacement in late November. The

    I screwed up the last post so I will try again.
    In late November I had Bi-lateral (both knees) knee replacement. All the bills combined were $150,000 plus. Six weeks after surgery they figured out I had a staph infection in my left knee. So they had to go back in and fix it. Anyone involved in the surgery billed the insurance company again. If we screw something up in our field of work we have to fix it at our cost. If I had to do it over again I would be a surgeon. They pretty much use the same tools, only difference is theres are stainless steel for cleaning purposes. I think the whole medical thing stinks. I got the staph in the hospital and they charge the insurance company again. Whats up with that!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: No Health Insurance

      There are too many horror stories associated to doctors and hospitals to mention but a few off the top of my head in recent news, doctor who reused the same syringe on multiple patients cross infecting some with hepatitis, aids, etc., surgical removal of the wrong limb or organ, bone transplants using cadaver bones from peole with serious diseases. Hundred of women who went to a fertility doctor for artificial insemination only to find out he used "his" sperm for all of them! You are lucky to leave a hospital in one piece and better health than when you were admitted! Whenever I'm in a doctors' office examining room, I always check the date on the medicine bottles. I have found medine such as lidocaine to be expired by several years, needless to say I did not return to that doctor. Healthcare can be a crapshoot, so be on the lookout for whatever you think is important.

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: No Health Insurance

        As high as medical care is,I am glad we have VERY good DOCTORS IN THIS WORLD.
        Kenneth Collier
        Maintenance and Sewer

        P.O. Box 9441
        Jackson, MS 39206
        (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
        drainman881999@yahoo.com

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: No Health Insurance

          Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          There are too many horror stories associated to doctors and hospitals to mention but a few off the top of my head in recent news, doctor who reused the same syringe on multiple patients cross infecting some with hepatitis, aids, etc., surgical removal of the wrong limb or organ, bone transplants using cadaver bones from peole with serious diseases. Hundred of women who went to a fertility doctor for artificial insemination only to find out he used "his" sperm for all of them! You are lucky to leave a hospital in one piece and better health than when you were admitted! Whenever I'm in a doctors' office examining room, I always check the date on the medicine bottles. I have found medine such as lidocaine to be expired by several years, needless to say I did not return to that doctor. Healthcare can be a crapshoot, so be on the lookout for whatever you think is important.

          You are 100% correct, we all need to be carefull. I pretty much got lucky with the staph. My physical therapist was the one that had concerns with the way my knee looked.

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: No Health Insurance

            Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Just a theoretical discussion that probably won't happen....

            What's your opinion of having all health insurance eliminated and the cost of services based on income/net worth?

            So heart surgery for someone like Bill Gates might cost 1 billion dollars.

            But for someone with my income it would be about 20 bucks.

            J.C.
            J.C.,you have a head full of brains,and I for one, am glad you let some of your thoughts trickle out in the form of posts.Good discussions.
            Kenneth Collier
            Maintenance and Sewer

            P.O. Box 9441
            Jackson, MS 39206
            (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
            drainman881999@yahoo.com

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: No Health Insurance

              My heart surgery was done by Dr. Helms, the same surgeon that did David Lettermans. He is an absolute miracle worker and a god in my eyes. Total cost. Close to a 1/4 million. Cost to me. 400 bucks. Insurance is a wonderful thing.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: No Health Insurance

                Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                My heart surgery was done by Dr. Helms, the same surgeon that did David Lettermans. He is an absolute miracle worker and a god in my eyes. Total cost. Close to a 1/4 million. Cost to me. 400 bucks. Insurance is a wonderful thing.


                Total cost - $250000


                Being alive to annoy/enlighten/misspell with wild abandonment - PRICELESS!
                I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: No Health Insurance

                  Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                  Total cost - $250000


                  Being alive to annoy/enlighten/misspell with wild abandonment - PRICELESS!
                  You got some sharp mind and sense of humor! Thanks for the laugh.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: No Health Insurance

                    Thanks drainman. The feeling is likewise.

                    Wow NH! That sounds like some good insurance. State supported or private plan? What percentage are the premiums of your income? (That shouldn't be too personal. Won't give anyone the real number of either)

                    Learned bunches from the thread. Most would like to see improvement but aren't sure of the exact path it should take. No surprise I suppose.

                    I learned some about France's system that I knew nothing about. And that maybe we should (or I should) rethink & not necessarily fear the "label" of Socialized Medical systems. Maybe the U.S. really has this system already depending on your interpretation.

                    Right now, it seems to me good people in the medical field can be overworked and underpaid.

                    Some things that weren't touched on that I think contribute to high premiums:

                    1) Pricing of items from hospitalization can be way out of whack. $10.00 for a .10 Tylenol! Heard about it more than once. How would my customers feel if I sold $100.00 toilets for $10,000? Would they accept it if they had good "Plumbing Insurance?"

                    2) Unethical & frivolous lawsuits toward the medical profession causing their malpractice premiums to be astronomical.

                    3) People that will go to the doctor for everything just because they have insurance. The sniffles, sprains, & small cuts of life. Ducttape and a napkin can cure alot.

                    4) Illegals burdening the system causing hospitals to be forced to make up costs with billing of covered legal citizens.

                    5) Subcontracted billing systems that are just a mess. And they sometimes are paid based on percentage billed. Ever wonder why you continue to get bills for items covered & already paid?

                    Many others I'm sure.


                    And now a story......

                    A few years back my mother had a medical procedure with about 2 days stay. She was insured at the time through her employer for a percentage of costs. Upon discharge my Pops demanded to know what his part would be to pay before they left and he would pay them right then if possible as he doesn't want to owe anyone.
                    NOONE
                    in the place knew what to do! They finally all got in a room with the top administrator & about an hour or so later they were paid.

                    And the Red Tape process seems to have gotten worse in alot of cases.

                    J.C.
                    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 02-07-2009, 08:49 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: No Health Insurance

                      Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Thanks drainman. The feeling is likewise.

                      Wow NH! That sounds like some good insurance. State supported or private plan? What percentage are the premiums of your income? (That shouldn't be too personal. Won't give anyone the real number of either)

                      Learned bunches from the thread. Most would like to see improvement but aren't sure of the exact path it should take. No surprise I suppose.

                      I learned some about France's system that I knew nothing about. And that maybe we should (or I should) rethink & not necessarily fear the "label" of Socialized Medical systems. Maybe the U.S. really has this system already depending on your interpretation.

                      Right now, it seems to me good people in the medical field can be overworked and underpaid.

                      Some things that weren't touched on that I think contribute to high premiums:

                      Pricing of items from hospitalization can be way out of whack. $10.00 for a .10 Tylenol! Heard about it more than once. How would my customers feel if I sold $100.00 toilets for $10,000? Would they accept it if they had good "Plumbing Insurance?"

                      Unethical & frivolous lawsuits toward the medical profession causing their malpractice premiums to be astronomical.

                      People that will go to the doctor for everything just because they have insurance. The sniffles, sprains, & small cuts of life. Ducttape and a napkin can cure alot.

                      Illegals burdening the system causing hospitals to be forced to make up costs with billing of covered legal citizens.

                      Subcontracted billing systems that are just a mess. And they sometimes are paid based on percentage billed. Ever wonder why you continue to get bills for items covered & already paid?


                      And now a story......

                      A few years back my mother had a medical procedure with about 2 days stay. She was insured at the time through her employer for a percentage of costs. Upon discharge my Pops demanded to know what his part would be to pay before they left and he would pay them right then if possible as he doesn't want to owe anyone.
                      NOONE
                      in the place knew what to do! They finally all got in a room with the top administrator & about an hour or so later they were paid.

                      And the Red Tape process seems to have gotten worse in alot of cases.

                      J.C.
                      J.C., on page two of this thread post #17 I gave a laundry list of reasons why our healthcare is so expensive and still so limited. How many times have you head the saying "Save the ones you can" during some movie drama? Unless choices are made regarding life and death and all the things both you and I mentioned, costs will continue to rise and care will continue to fall. My Father passed away about a year and a half ago from age related leukemia. I respected and loved him dearly, he was a good Dad and a kind soul. He lived on frequent transfusions, experienced a very poor quality of life and passed away three years after being diagnosed at the age of eighty eight. My point is that money whether paid by individuals or insurance is not limitless, facilities and personnel are not inexhaustable. We can continue to treat the illegals at costs reaching the millions in some cases, the terminally ill and the very elderly but at the expense of children and others who have some better prospect of living. My opinons may sound morbid or insulting but we either save the ones we can by changing our core beliefs regarding suicide, prolonging life, and making choices or we continue to over spend. The same applies to our economy which is bleeding out as we refuse to resolve the situation of illegals and continue to pay others for the goods we consume. My rant is over.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: No Health Insurance

                        Insurance is through the teachers union

                        Smartest thing I ever done done in my life.

                        Living on a diet of bacon, butter and icecream would have been the dumbest.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: No Health Insurance

                          Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          Insurance is through the teachers union

                          Smartest thing I ever done done in my life.

                          Living on a diet of bacon, butter and icecream would have been the dumbest.
                          An organization that forces or voluntarily requires dues with equal disbursement to members as needed. Sounds like you have Socialist insurance and are happy with it.

                          J.C.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: No Health Insurance

                            No damn it. I hate it. I'm what you call a closet union member.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: No Health Insurance

                              Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              An organization that forces or voluntarily requires dues with equal disbursement to members as needed. Sounds like you have Socialist insurance and are happy with it.

                              J.C.


                              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: No Health Insurance

                                Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                                No damn it. I hate it. I'm what you call a closet union member.
                                I won't praise Unions again, your choice to love'em or hate'em. Glad you were able to get the coverage and life saving surgery.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X