X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Digital SLR's

I have a Nikon D60 and we love it. User friendly and fast shutter.

It takes fantastic pictures. Heres a link:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...page?pid=25438
    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Thanks. I'll try not to beat the thread to death.

One of the main reasons I was interested in Pentax models is that according to my research ALL of the past lenses for Pentax are compatible with new Pentax DSLR's. So a nice lens from the 80's will work fine on the new DSLR's.

Is that true of Canon, Nikon, etc.?

I've read many times that the lens is where it's at on traditional SLR's and the body didn't matter as much.

But on DSLR's the body & computer "interpretation" components ARE important. So choosing the proper body for a persons needs has more importance now.

Do you find this to be the case?

Thanks again.

J.C.
      J.C., lens fitting and lens working are two different things! Try and visit a good camera shop or make some calls, nothing like a hands on experience. I believe the newer cameras even prior to Digital using autofocus required an electronic lens, so even if an older lens fit you would lose certain functions. I'm not positive about this, or which brands or models would be affected. I understand your point about the camera body holding more importance than simple SLR's of the past, but a good lens is still how it sees the world or receives it's information. The Hubble telescope must contain millions of dollars worth of high tech computer gear, but without the best optics it can't make much of an image.

Comment

stxrus

If a D80 has what you need and want, they are on sale and you can get one for quite a bit less $$$ than the new D90. The D90 does some video but it's not a serious video camera. If you want a good still body and like Nikon, I really think the $$$ would be better spent on a D300. Personally, I plan to put my $$$ into a D80 when the time comes or a good Canon.

================================================== ========================================
        To everyone: It's good lenses that are the real investment. A DSLR body that's high end today sure won't be 5 years from now. That doesn't make it junk, but please invest more $$$ in a few good lenses as in most cases they should work on a newer body.

If you do go with Nikon and just want a good simple deal for now, look at a model D40 which normally comes with the basic 18-55mm auto focus lens, one Li-Ion battery and charger. It actually does a very good job for people not ready to dump out big $$$ on a DSLR.

The Canon Rebel series are very good too. Again, look for a package deal but do be careful as some packages (all brands) are dealer rip-off tricks.

While dealers won't say this, a Nikon D40 is a better deal than the newer D60. It actually will take better night pictures. Only very few people every need higher than 6 mega pixel resolution and the image sensor in the D40 is more sensitive to light. If you want to step up, either go for a D80 or if you can afford one a D300. The D60 is full of fluffy features. This doesn't mean it's junk, just not such a great deal for the extra $$$.

Another way to put this is that with Canon you can buy a tuff 30D body today for less than a Rebel XSi and while not full of features it's made better.

Now as for lenses, NIKON is about the safest bet out there. While the auto focus feature won't work (older lenses) on some of the newer low end bodies they work well otherwise. This is another good reason to snatch up a D80 body on sale. The focus motor is inside the body and doesn't require the new special lenses with focus motor in the lens. Now, please don't get worried as you can still manually focus the older and great lenses no matter what body they are on.

With Canon they did change lens mounts but that was quite some time back. I really doubt many people would need to worry unless you have some great vintage Canon lenses used on older 35mm SLR bodies.

For some good reading on many brands, take a good prowl at Ken Rockwell's web site.
        http://www.kenrockwell.com/

He tells how some lower cost bodies and lenses are very good and great deals and some high priced items are actually huge ripoffs. I would do your own research and tests, but it's a good web site for ideas.

Personal comment: I don't have a digital camera but plan to get a good one before long. A good friend picked up a special at Ritz Camera on a Canon Rebel XSi with 2 lenses (not sure just which ones) and he has taken great pictures without much fuss or adjustment. Lighting does matter and that applies to all types of cameras.
        Last edited by Woussko; 02-09-2009, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Getting back to the Nikon auto focus thing. Some of their current basic bodies such as the D40 and D60 need a lens made for them. The D80 can use older lenses. That does not mean the D40 or D60 can't be used with most of the older lenses. It's just that some of the features may not work.

Something to consider and do so seriously is that most brands make lenses that will NOT work properly on a full frame digital or a 35mm SLR body. If you have in mind someday going professional you really need to keep this is mind when buying any lenses other than the very basic and pretty low cost ones.

The idea is that they make a package. Would a person looking to say spend a total of $1000 be likely to spend say $2500 on a super lens within a few years? I seriously doubt it. On the other hand a serious professional won't buy an El Cheapo body for his/her main use. He/she might grab up a simple low cost body and a lens or two for travel and as a backup. Most of us should be fine with something good and not super. Are we really planning to push things to the limit? Do we want to to super size enlargements? Micro photography?

I need to say that spending big $$$ on a high end "Point & Shoot" over a digital SLR is in my honest opinion a big waste and the same for a film 35mm camera. Being able to see though the main lens of an SLR, see what filters do and being able to change lenses is too valuable. On the other hand a simple little "Bang Shooter" is just super handy to have as well.

One last thing about lenses. The focal length of the lens and how it works on a Digital camera depends on the size and position of the image sensor. For other than the full frame models you really need to look though a given body and lens to see how it behaves. In many cases Nikon has a 1.5 to 1 factor and Canon a 1.6 to 1. With other brands it pays to check. Point and shoot models are very different and may have as high as a 5.0 to 1 factor.

As Frank said it really does pay to go to a good serious camera store and actually try out several brands and models. Ask questions too.

Enough of my howling. Time for me to go back in my dog house now.
          Last edited by Woussko; 02-09-2009, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            So a nice lens from the 80's will work fine on the new DSLR's.

Is that true of Canon, Nikon, etc.?
            As noted above, yes, they'll fit (Nikon from the 50s or 60s, and Canon from the 80s or 90s) but have varying degree of compatability. Old lenses don't have chips in them, so don't work with the auto exposure, or auto focus, etc. Same with Pentax, which is a very good brand, BTW. Hold them in your hand, see which feel natural, easy to hold, zoom, etc. Easy to reach the buttons or see the menu. You'll know when you have the right one.
            Steve
            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

A good place to visit online for camera information is

http://www.dpreview.com/

also try: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...al_SLR_cameras

Also, wikipedia has a good section on Canon lenses, I suspect they have the same for Nikon too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...S_DSLR_cameras

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_lens_mount
              (this page lists all the current Canon EF lenses and has links to individual pages about them). EF lenses are for full frame sensors, EF-S series lenses are designed for the smaller crop sensors used on the XTi, XSi, and most of the Canon Rebel series DSLRs. EF lenses can be used on EF-S cameras, but the reverse is not true. SO if you bought a XSi say and decided to move up to a full frame Canon DSLR, the lens from your XSi would not work (it doesn't have the coverage for the larger sensor).

The old Canon FD mounts from the A-1 and AE-1 series 35mm cameras will not work on EOS series cameras except (supposedly) with an mount adapter. And then only full manual as smorris said.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

This is an SLR

For the camera, I have a D40. It's fantastic for the money. About the only thing I would change on it is the burst rate, it gets about 2-3 frames per second, I wish it were maybe 5 or so. If that's all I can whine about, I'm pretty happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  The 18mm-55mm is good for general picture taking, the 18mm to 55mm is it's focal length wide angle to normal sight distance. The 55mm-300mm takes you from average distance shots (not close ups) to telephoto magnification (zoom). The F/ refers to the amount of light (aperture) which translates into speed. Example 18mm-50mm lens one is rated at F/1.2 the other F/1.8. The F/1.2 will allow more light for faster picture taking, it will also cost much more. You want the faster lens while retaining quality. You would use the 55mm-300mm to pull in objects in the distance.

You need to consider sensor size before taking into accoung the focal length of the lens. The standard measurement is based on a 35mm 24X36mm full size frame. On smaller sizes the focal length is increased. Look for "35mm equivalent" measurements on compact sensor cameras to get an idea of the equivalent lens range. For example in a full frame SLR a 35mm-70mm lens would be considered a small wide angle to very small telephoto range lens. On a compact APS sensor SLR it wouldn't even be a wide angle at all. It would be more like a normal lens to telephoto about 56mm-112mm equivalent in 35mm. Completely useless as a wide angle lens. Most of the affordable SLR's are compact sensor. Only the really expensive professional models tend to have full frame sensors.

A basic rule in 35mm slr's is, anything less than 35mm is considered wide angle lens. 50mm is considered a normal lens, in other words the depth is roughly equivalent to what the human eye sees. Anything above is a telephoto.
                  Last edited by Velosapien; 02-09-2009, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadster280 View Post
                    This is an SLR

For the camera, I have a D40. It's fantastic for the money. About the only thing I would change on it is the burst rate, it gets about 2-3 frames per second, I wish it were maybe 5 or so. If that's all I can whine about, I'm pretty happy.
                    I agree I LOVE My D40 great bang for the buck!

Comment

There's a professional photographer called Ken Rockwell who says nice things about the D40, and puts into perspective against other Nikons.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

Some dislike his stance, but what he says makes sense to me. I followed his advice, and a year later am REALLY happy with my choice.

Comment

I have the D40x and it is a great camera. As far as a lens goes I have the 18-55, 55-200 and the 70-300. The D40, D40x and the D60 don't have focusing motors built into the camera body so you have to get a lens that has a built in focusing motor. Most of the new Nikkor lenses coming out have this feature but you have to manual focus older lenses. I also use the SB600 flash which works great with my setup. Here is what I have done with it this year.

http://picasaweb.google.com/NightriderBand

Comment

I'm not going to try to push this deal, but I just may go for it myself.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/SL...igital-cameras

The VR (vibration reduction) series lenses are better in several ways than the Cheapo lenses included in many kit packages. For this price, you can add some $$$ for a nice SB-400 or SB-600 strobe (flash) and maybe a nice tripod. Please do yourself a huge favor and keep away from anything QUANTARAY which more or less RITZ house brand. If you want (you really do want one) a good UV filter / lens protector, look at either the fine German B+W or a good HOYA.

SB-400 flash: http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/541536660.htm

Do check prices but watch out for shady dealers trying to sell "Gray Market" products. You want the REAL thing only and a good dealer to help in case something does go wrong.

Hint: Check with customer service or manufactures web sites to be sure a dealer is factory authorized to sell a given brand.

Do look over other well known brands too. You may find one that has something special you really want.
                          Last edited by Woussko; 02-09-2009, 04:16 PM.

Comment

This is not from my camera as I only have a junker. I borrowed a Nikon D40 with 55-200mm VR (vibration reduction) lens and took these mid day today and hand held. The generator is one of mine. This shows that you don't need a high end DSLR camera body to take pretty good pictures. By the way these have been very reduced in size so I can upload them to the forum. I had a few of them made into WOW 8 x 10 color prints at RITZ and they are very clean and clear. The 8 x 10 prints were high quality .JPG files not reduced in size. They were at full 6.1 MB resolution and not altered. Just my one cent worth. I can assure you that CANON makes darn nice digital cameras too. Any good brand should give you good images. It's more the user than the actual equipment. With that said lenses and bodies do have limits on what they can do.

FYI: The resolution for posting here is under 1.0 mega pixels. PROOF you do not normally need a high res 12+ mega pixel camera for simple work. They are great for when you want to capture a tiny part of a total picture and make a quality print from it. Normally you do not need over 5 mega pixels for home or semi pro use.

Note: This portable generator is over 20 years old and has been in a garage. It has around 200 running hours on it and needed only some TLC, minor repairs and adjustments. In the fall of 2003 it really helped out big time after one very nasty storm.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Woussko; 02-15-2009, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                              This is not from my camera as I only have a junker. I borrowed a Nikon D40 with 55-200mm VR (vibration reduction) lens and took these mid day today and hand held. The generator is one of mine. This shows that you don't need a high end DSLR camera body to take pretty good pictures. By the way these have been very reduced in size so I can upload them to the forum. I had a few of them made into WOW 8 x 10 color prints at RITZ and they are very clean and clear. Just my one cent worth. I can assure you that CANON makes darn nice digital cameras too. Any good brand should give you good images. It's more the user than the actual equipment. With that said lenses and bodies do have limits on what they can do.

FYI: The resolution for posting here is under 1.0 mega pixels. PROOF you do not normally need a high res 12+ mega pixel camera for simple work. They are great for when you want to capture a tiny part of a total picture and make a quality print from it. Normally you do not need over 5 mega pixels for home or semi pro use.
                              Thanks Woussko. Your absolutely correct on the megapixel race. It's just bragging rights for promotional purposes 99% of the time.

And you're right on about alot of companies make good cameras now & the person, his/her eye, and skills are as important as any equipment.

Before digital came on my Mom had a Vivitar pocket camera she bought at the drugstore. The kind that looks like two packs of smokes laying end to end. A REAL point and shoot.

Her friend had a full tilt Hasselblad. I remember looking at it. How well built it was & everything. Mom was embarrassed of hers after seeing that thing but it was what she could afford.

Anyway, when they got pictures back from the same event the majority of my Moms pics were significantly better than the ones taken with the Hasselblad. I remember looking through them.

J.C.

Comment

If anyone thinks he/she would like a good deal on a NIKON D40 camera body and a basic 18-55mm zoom lens, here's a way to get a good deal. This is a real camera store that sells trade show specials. They are shown at a camera show, then sent to be checked over to be sure they are like new, but not being new have to be sold as reconditioned. This dealer sells loads of cameras on eBay that are almost new and for a lot less than what they sell for new in the box.

Look up seller CAMETAAUCTIONS

Also you can click these links for some ideas.

D40 body kit without lens - http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D40-Digita...3A1|240%3A1318

18-55mm good basic zoom lens for it - http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-18-55mm-VR...3A1|240%3A1318

55-200mm zoom lens you may want - http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-AF-S-55-20...3A1|240%3A1318

They have many accessories too and this is a good real place camera dealer. They are NO "Fly By Night" type of place.

Comment

Working...
                                X