X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Digital SLR's

Ironic you posted Woussko. I looked at comparable Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc.
    and decided to go with a Pentax K200D for my use. Even it may be a little too nice for my purposes.

But it had some different features that I liked better & seemed to be a better value also.

Metal Frame
    Non Proprietary AA Batteries
    Internal Anti Shake built into the camera-not just the lens
    Very well sealed throughout.
    All old Pentax lenses work with it.
    Dust cleaning system.
    etc.

Be here soon. I'll try to post some pics once I learn to use it.

Expect the first ones in 2010. I'm slow.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 03-06-2009, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Pentax makes good cameras and lenses. I bet you will like it once you get used to using it. It does take time and learning. If the manual is in tiny print, check their web site (you may have to register) for a downloadable manual in .PDF format. Most print nice on 8-1/2 x 11 paper and are easier to read than the tiny ones.

Comment

I watched a review of this camera on YouTube and it was impressive. The user has a tremendous amount of control over the composition of the file(picture) before saving it, and I'm sure that feature would take most users some time to master/appreciate. If you are going to buy NIMH AA batteries I would suggest the Hybrid or Precharged version since they retain their charge much longer than the older chemistry NIMH batteries. Very nice camera, best of luck.

Comment

If the actual camera and not the strobe/flash takes AA cells that is a big plus. Most digital SLR camera now use Li-Ion batteries and sadly they cost big $$$. I have found for Canon and Nikon (I bet many others too) that Rayovac has good replacements that are actually better quality than what comes with the cameras. They don't cost as much either if you buy them from a big battery dealer.

By the way many strobe/flash units use AA cells. What Frank posted would make a good investment as regular and even super alkaline cells just don't last that long in them. Lithium super AA cells are big $$$. Rechargeable is the way to go but also keep some regular alkaline on hand for just in case.

Many SLR cameras have a little strobe/flash built in and that really eats power from the internal battery. If you need a flash, by all means get one that mounts on the "Hot Shoe" and use that. They are far more powerful and you can aim it at the ceiling for a nice bounce light effect. Blasting a subject can result in it looking like just a blast of light. For fun take a flash picture standing about 6 - 10 feet back from a big mirror. Do this at an angle so as not to totally blast your camera with bright light from the mirror.

Comment

JC

Are you sure it is a K200D and not maybe a K20D or a K2000 ???

I see a special deal on a K2000 which seems to be their entry model digital SLR camera. I may grab this myself and trash my junky FUNDUNGO point & shoot. The price is right for it.
            http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-K2000-Dig...3%3A1|294%3A50

In addition I see that PENTAX has a K20D which is a nice upgrade from the K2000.

SHHHHH Don't tell anyone but I have a Nikon D40 with some nice goodies in the works. It's one that was displayed at a camera show and while just like new can't be sold as such. It comes with a few nice lenses and a nice strobe/flash and some other goodies. With Woussko's luck I won't get it, but I'm trying. I personally would rather go Canon or Nikon as add-ons are easy to find on special. In addition while they won't do anything automatically being older, I have a few very nice Nikon prime lenses I can use. I just have to set everything myself. It's no big deal as that's how older film SLRs work. You do it all yourself. By the time you're ready the subject is long gone and you GRRRR. LOL
            Last edited by Woussko; 03-07-2009, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Woussko, I ordered the K200D. I check #'s almost like I have OCD. Had people screw up plumbing orders in the past based on the order #'s.

The K2000 is a great camera too. The K20D is their "flagship" in DSLR's. I almost went for the K2000. There was some detail about the K200D that made me go for it instead. (Can't remember what it was though. Might have had something to do with ISO's?)

Anyway, K2000 is a good camera. That is the current lowest price that you can also get directly from some online retailers. (Abes of Maine)

J.C.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Now I need to check the Pentax site and look up the one you got. I'm sure you'll like it once you get used to it. Again, if the manual is tiny, check their web site for a .PDF manual that prints out on 8-1/2 x 11 paper. If it's huge you may want to find someone with a heavy duty laser printer to print the file for you. A laser printer that has a duplexer (prints both sides of paper) would be great along with pre-punched 3 hole paper so you can put it into a nice ring binder. You'll want to do the same for accessories too.

HINT: Most good size offices have workhorse laser printers. Big copy centers do too but they may want too much $$$ for the job, but then it might pay to ask some of them.

Comment

Got camera. Like it so far. Manual is over 250 pages.

The glass is what kills you though. $$$

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Got camera. Like it so far. Manual is over 250 pages.

The glass is what kills you though. $$$

J.C.
                    I assume you mean additional lenses are big $$$ and that they are. Be sure to check compatability of any lenses you do buy for use on PENTAX bodies you may want in say 5 years from now? Will they work with full frame size sensors and the like. Good lenses are an investment and should stay with you a long time. If you want to take some close-up pictures now and then you might want to look at magnifiers which screw on like a filter. They are much less costly than a macro lens and can help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-up_lens
                    Last edited by Woussko; 03-22-2009, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Yes. There is only one lens that I want for my purposes and it costs more than the camera & lens that came with it!

Having fun though. Can't load pics here with the resolution it provides. See if I can crop & downgrade some images soon.

Just for anyone's interest.

Thanks again for all replies to the thread. It helps.

J.C.
                      Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 03-22-2009, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Here is a good website with unbiased reviews of cameras from all the major manufacturors. You can even compare test photos of one camera against another. They have some good things to say about the Pentax K200D.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

Comment

Update. Use the camera about twice a week. Have taken a few hundred pics. on 1 set of batteries. (Maybe 300) Just started weakening today.

Good pics to me, but I don't think I'm too critical of pics.

Easy operation. Tough for a DSLR.

Seems like I can use it for years just as it comes without other accessories.

Recommend the camera for anyones' consideration list in this price range.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            Update. Use the camera about twice a week. Have taken a few hundred pics. on 1 set of batteries. (Maybe 300) Just started weakening today.

Good pics to me, but I don't think I'm too critical of pics.

Easy operation. Tough for a DSLR.

Seems like I can use it for years just as it comes without other accessories.

Recommend the camera for anyones' consideration list in this price range.

J.C.
                            You're still a light weight. My 9-year old grand daughter took over 1,000 pictures with Brenda's Canon SLR during 3 1/2 days at the the lake. However, I do think she is infatuated with Jon's dog Duke.

Mark
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ToUtahNow; 07-15-2009, 01:19 AM.
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                            X