Clear All

• Digital SLR's

Any suggestions for an amateur?

Preferences:

Durability. Built tough.
    Non proprietary battery.
    Weight doesn't matter.
    Good price. Amateur.
    I usually can work around user friendliness by reading the manuals of products.

Thanks for all input.

J.C.

Re: Digital SLR's

I prefer Nikon's but I have to say Canon Rebels seem to be the logical choice. The bodies are affordable and there are a ton of lens available. I generally go to Sterling Tek to buy aftermarket batteries and charges for all of my cameras.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i agree with the Nikon D series or Olympus. a quality digital SLR won't be inexpensive

we're looking at the D80 or maybe D90

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

J.C., if you are serious about having "built tough" and "durability", then you should consider buying a Nikon digital slr. Many years ago I went to a place in Manhattan called Nikon House where Nikon gave some photography classes. I learned that Nikon was built tough to withstand shock in a way no other camera could. If they still build them that tough I would make the investment.
        Pocket digitals don't hold up very long and certainly not to any rough duty. Several of the top brands offer additional lenses which either give you a better wide angle or fisheye ,to telephoto or long range. Good thing about a better slr and different lenses is that you can grow in skill if that's what you want to do. Get a good tripod and don't use the auto features of the camera, go manual and learn the difference between F stop and shutter speed. I know a bit or two about photography so I'd be glad to try and answer any questions. No film to worry about and long lasting lithium batteries have made picture taking more fun than ever. Not sure if you can charge those lithiums on a Ridgid chager?

Comment

I was considering a Pentax K200D. Available locally and online.

Any opinions?

J.C.

Comment

Franki. I took a Photography class years ago as part of a curriculum I was in.

We used nothing but manual cameras with traditional film. We studied stops & shutter speeds. Worked mostly with B&W for it's forgiveness to beginners I guess.

Now I can't even remember what to do with an FStop!

I'll rig up something to charge batteries on the Ridgid charger. Maybe have a drill battery hanging by wires connected to the camera.

Thanks for all replies.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Franki. I took a Photography class years ago as part of a curriculum I was in.

We used nothing but manual cameras with traditional film. We studied stops & shutter speeds. Worked mostly with B&W for it's forgiveness to beginners I guess.

Now I can't even remember what to do with an FStop!

I'll rig up something to charge batteries on the Ridgid charger. Maybe have a drill battery hanging by wires connected to the camera.

Thanks for all replies.

J.C.
              Like riding a bike it will come back to you. Remember, F1.2 is a large aperture or opening of light and allows a fast shutter speed for action shots, F16 is a pinhole of light and requires slower shutter speeds for very sharp detailed pictures in lower light. That camera sounds real nice. Don't forget a starlight or clear filter to protect your lense!!! and a polarizing filter to cut down glare. Enjoy.

Comment

A great deal depends on what you want to do with the pictures, and what your budget is. Remember, lenses (decent ones) will likely cost many times what the camera does.

SLR's are large, heavy, and somewhat cumbersome. Some of the top compact cameras (like the Canon G9 and G10) are simply amazing, can shoot in fully auto or fully manual, and are a fraction of the cost. It takes alot for a Nikon guy to recommend a Canon

I own four Nikon cameras, about $10K in lenses, and shoot more pictures with my G10 than anything else because it's small and always around for exactly that reason.

If you're set on an SLR the Canon Rebel and Nikon F40 are hard to beat for their price point. Not overly flashy but still likely more camera than the vast majority of people will ever need. To get the most out of them you will need decent glass and an external flash as part of your system.

Comment

Don't worry too much about the camera body. If you find that you like the hobby, the lenses will, for the most part, move from camera to camera. Some of the new compact zooms are made for the smaller digital chip, but if you get a full-frame lens, it will fit any camera body in the past 20 years, and into the foreseeable future. If you don't expect to get into a pro body, then even the "D" digital lenses will fit almost anything coming. I picked up about half of my lenses used. Only the 18-200 is not a full frame lens.

Consider today's bodies obsolete before you get them home.
                  Steve
                  www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

What do the various lenses specs mean in real world use?

Example: What would you use a 55mm-300mm F/4-5.8 for vs. a 18mm-55mm F/3.5-5.6?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

What do the various lenses specs mean in real world use?

Example: What would you use a 55mm-300mm F/4-5.8 for vs. a 18mm-55mm F/3.5-5.6?

Thanks.

J.C.
                      The 18mm-55mm is good for general picture taking, the 18mm to 55mm is it's focal length wide angle to normal sight distance. The 55mm-300mm takes you from average distance shots (not close ups) to telephoto magnification (zoom). The F/ refers to the amount of light (aperture) which translates into speed. Example 18mm-50mm lens one is rated at F/1.2 the other F/1.8. The F/1.2 will allow more light for faster picture taking, it will also cost much more. You want the faster lens while retaining quality. You would use the 55mm-300mm to pull in objects in the distance.

Comment

Thanks Franki. Kind of coming back and you reinforced it. Just trying to decide between a higher end P&S like smorris is talking about and the Pentax.

J.C.

Comment

Love my canon rebel xti. saw it with kit lens for 450 ish the other day on techbargains.com

Comment

Just trying to decide between a higher end P&S like smorris is talking about and the Pentax.

J.C.
                            I wasn't talking about a P&S. That's a whole 'nother can of worms. I just meant that what features the camera body has is only somewhat important. If you really get into it, you can always upgrade to a higher end body and continue to use the same lenses (within the same brand, of course.) For instance you could get a Nikon D40 now and a really nice lens. Then decide you like it a lot, but want more versatiliy or features. So you buy a D300 body and use the lens that came with your D40.

FWIW, when I had the D70, most of my lenses cost as much or more than what I paid for the body. Good glass is more important than bells and whistles on the body. I'd rather have a $200 body and a $1000 lens than the other way around. The lens makes the image.

This holds true for all the major brands. Nikon and Canon just advertise better.
                            Steve
                            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
                              I wasn't talking about a P&S. That's a whole 'nother can of worms. I just meant that what features the camera body has is only somewhat important. If you really get into it, you can always upgrade to a higher end body and continue to use the same lenses (within the same brand, of course.) For instance you could get a Nikon D40 now and a really nice lens. Then decide you like it a lot, but want more versatiliy or features. So you buy a D300 body and use the lens that came with your D40.

FWIW, when I had the D70, most of my lenses cost as much or more than what I paid for the body. Good glass is more important than bells and whistles on the body. I'd rather have a $200 body and a $1000 lens than the other way around. The lens makes the image.

This holds true for all the major brands. Nikon and Canon just advertise better.
                              Thanks. I'll try not to beat the thread to death.

One of the main reasons I was interested in Pentax models is that according to my research ALL of the past lenses for Pentax are compatible with new Pentax DSLR's. So a nice lens from the 80's will work fine on the new DSLR's.

Is that true of Canon, Nikon, etc.?

I've read many times that the lens is where it's at on traditional SLR's and the body didn't matter as much.

But on DSLR's the body & computer "interpretation" components ARE important. So choosing the proper body for a persons needs has more importance now.

Do you find this to be the case?

Thanks again.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X