Rifle Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rifle Problem

Oh Yes, I have every intention in the world of taking it back to the gunsmith before shooting it. But I would have felt like a real goof if I had gone in there and I had overlooked something obvious. That is why I asked for help. But it is getting way more complex than I am comfortable with. Headspacing? I agree that is the province of gunsmiths.

Thanks,
    Tom

Comment

It sounds like somehow the barrel isn't in the right place in relation to the chamber. Don't know how that could happen though.

With a clean chamber and a blacked bullet, you look for the marks the bullet leaves to tell you where it's hitting. That could tell you where the problem is. Regardless, this sounds like a job for a gunsmith. Headspacing is definitely not something to mess with! Even if it does turn out to be something simple (I don't think it will), don't be embarrassed. A gun is something that has to be in good working condition, or it's worse than useless. The damage a malfunction in a gun does is pretty awful.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Brought the rifle to the gun store. There is a piece of caseing inside the barrel at the breech end. I obviously missed it but the guy in the gun store picked it right out. They made a couple halfhearted attempts to get it out but decided it was best to send it to a gunsmith.

Thank you to all for your contributions as we attempted to solve this problem.

Tom

Comment

Thanks for the answer . It's stange a piece of casing would be left by a factory round. i could see it with one of my reloads but not a factory round. Anyway I'm glad you have it resolved with no damage to you or the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
            Thanks for the answer . It's stange a piece of casing would be left by a factory round. i could see it with one of my reloads but not a factory round. Anyway I'm glad you have it resolved with no damage to you or the gun.
            That is exactly what they said at the gun store. Then one guy said he had seen it in the past with a .45. But I have only shot factory loads.

But it is still a puzzle to me how I missed an ejected shell missing a piece of brass. I am sure I was the last one to fire it.

Anyway all will be well when the gun is returned.

Thanks again for all your help.

Tom

Comment

How do you know you were the last to fire the weapon?? I would say the smithy that put it all back together proof fired it before returning it to you.

Glad to here it all worked out.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                How do you know you were the last to fire the weapon?? I would say the smithy that put it all back together proof fired it before returning it to you.

Glad to here it all worked out.

G3
                Would they typically fire it? I didn't know that. When I sent it to have it reblued all I sent was the receiver and barrel. No stock. But it is puzzing to me how he plugged the barrel and didn't see the casing piece stuck in there especially if he separated the barrel from the receiver. If he did test fire it that would solve a mystery.

Tom

Comment

They plug both ends of the barrel with a cloth patch and then drive a short wooden dowel in, or at least thats how I was taught.

As far as proof firing the re-barreled action, only the smith can answer that question. But a head spacing guage looks sort of like a cartridge and he would of had to inserted it and closed the bolt. The guages are "go", "no go", and "field" type and are measuring the distance between the face of the breech and the base of the cartridge when the action is closed.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                    Its a pain in the butt but take it back to the gunsmith. Even if you were to get it to close I would never shoot the thing. Headspacing isnt something you can mess around with... unless your willing to blow your face off.

Had a similar problem with an old 300 win mag. I could get it to close though. Thought about it for a while and decided to have the gunsmith take care of it. I may have been fine but could have really regretted not having it looked at.

Josh
                    I second the headspace danger. a guy next to me on the range shot the barrel out of a .50 cal M2HB because he didn't check the headspace when he screwed the barrel in. My back was about 2 feet away from that weapon when the barrel shot out.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                    X