X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octomommy

There was recently a thread devoted to Health Care. Part of the discussion was related to astronomical costs and undue burden often involved. The cost of the recent birth of octuplets directly affects me as I am a member of the Medical Group where they were born. I love kids as much as the next person but this is beyond ridiculous.

Here are some facts as they have been reported. After the mother file for divorce from her husband, she started having babies via in vitro fertilization. During the same time period she has been collecting Workers Comp to the tune of about $25,000 per year for a back injury. Workers Comp has filed to terminate payment as she has missed the last 6-mandatory annual physical check up (THAT’S SIX YEARS). She lives with her mother and father who are divorced but still live together. Her parent’s home is a modest 3-bedroom home which has beds set up everywhere to accommodate the 3-adults and the 6-toddlers currently living there. It does not appear the mother is on Welfare but is collecting food stamps for her and her kids and collecting some type of compensation for her 3-special needs children.

Now at the age of 33 she has given birth to 8 more bundles of joy. I don’t believe she was a member of Kaiser but showed up and requested emergency medical attention. She was hospitalized for 10-weeks prior to giving birth and the estimated hospital charges are between $1,500,000 and $3,000,000. Without question, these babies are going to require more than the normal medical attention for their entire life. I question why any doctor would have participated in the in vitro fertilization considering she already had 6-babies at home. I also have to wonder how she paid for the in vitro fertilization as the mother really does not have an income.

So now that she is the single mother of 14 what will she do? She claims before the babies come home she will find a larger home for the 15 of them to live in. She also stated her family and volunteers will assist her in caring for her 14-children. However, her mother says she will leave the home before the babies come home as she is done with her daughter’s irresponsibility. She claims to have been the sole support and care giver of her grand children and can no longer do it. The grand father either has left or is leaving to go work as a contractor in Iraq. The grand mother recently was denied her bankruptcy claim of just short of $1,000,000 as she did not fulfill her part of the responsibilities so they may be losing their home as well.

The thing that probably pisses me off the most is the dumb Octomommy acts like it is not a big deal and she will figure out how to handle it. Her family appears to be bailing as they can no longer help her. This will obviously cost all of us a ton of money. The best thing that could happen at this time is the Doctor should lose his license and pay her hospital bills, the sperm donor should be held financially responsible to support the 14-babies and DCFS should camp on this women’s doorstep and yank those babies out of her control the minute there is even a hint of improper care.

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 02-10-2009, 01:31 PM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Octomommy

Good post Mark. I heard her say "I Love Babies" on several interviews and I was trying to figure out if she was mentally ill? I too like children and wonder what kind of care and nurturing will be afforded these many individuals. If she goes the publicity show route ( magazines and tv program) their lives could become more of a freak show atmosphere. I think of the whole event as a dysfunctional , confused and distrubed woman joining forces with a thoughtless, selfish, ego centrical doctor who lacks conscience and foresight for those little lives. This should not have happened and steps should be taken to prevent a repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      [FONT=Verdana]The best thing that could happen at this time is the Doctor should lose his license and pay her hospital bills, the sperm donor should be held financially responsible to support the 14-babies and DCFS should camp on this women’s doorstep and yank those babies out of her control the minute there is even a hint of improper care.
      I was with you most of the way, but making the sperm donor liable is a bad idea (assuming he is an anonymous donor). That would certainly discourage men from donating sperm (and women from donating eggs) to couples who actually need it.

There is no way she can properly provide for 14 children of that age without a bigger support network than she has, so I agree that the state children's welfare agency needs to watch her like a hawk.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
        I was with you most of the way, but making the sperm donor liable is a bad idea (assuming he is an anonymous donor). That would certainly discourage men from donating sperm (and women from donating eggs) to couples who actually need it.

There is no way she can properly provide for 14 children of that age without a bigger support network than she has, so I agree that the state children's welfare agency needs to watch her like a hawk.
        She stated the sperm donor is the same man for all 14-kids. Her mother says it is a boyfriend who would like to marry her but she doesn't want to get married.

Mark

Comment

I just figured out another possible financial solution to supporting the kids. The courts could appoint a guardian for the 14-babies, then sue the fertility doctor for malpractice. I actually think this could work. It has been reported the same doctor/clinic was involved in all pregnancies. They knew she was capable of multiple births as her last pregnancy was a set of twins. They knew she already had 6-babies at home. They implanted 300% the number of eggs recommended.

The bottom line is it is in the best interest of everyone to make sure these babies are taken care of. I believe there is a lot of accountability here and I hope someone is watching.

Mark

Comment

Amen Mark.

Comment

I had no Idea.I thought the bald guy with the accent was her husband.

14 kids
              No male figure
              Dillusional Mother

Someone must be able to put into words what the doctor was thinking when he set her up to add to her already dysfunctional home.

Those children are in trouble.

Comment

The sperm Donor was the same because all the eggs for all 14 kids were harvested at once and all fertilized and the leftovers frozen for future use and for the event that it didn't take. I don't think any man in his right mind would donate anything knowing that she already had six kids and no way to support them. The doctors say it is not their job to legislate morality, but at least they could prevent stupidity! Just as you guys pick and choose not to take certain jobs, the doctors could do the same. Or just accidentally leave the petri dish sitting out on the table for a few hours! I think she needs a major psych evaluation - can you say obsessive compulsive?? The only thing that will get her thru this is the book and movie money, followed by the reality show. I hope she has the sense to negotiate a college fund for all of them from the tv people, but she will probably use the money to go overseas for her next round of fertility treatment. Insane!

Comment

She stated the sperm donor is the same man for all 14-kids. Her mother says it is a boyfriend who would like to marry her but she doesn't want to get married.

Mark
                  OK, that is a big difference. They are just trying to game the system.

Comment

OK, that is a big difference. They are just trying to game the system.

And it would seem to be they are fairly successful too.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

She was hospitalized for 10-weeks prior to giving birth and the estimated hospital charges are between $1,500,000 and $3,000,000.
                      I hope the hospital collections department gets every penny of her income from this.

Comment

Three of the first 6 kids get disability checks also.

This is one twisted individual.

As further evidence check out this article I was just reading.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kather..._b_165617.html

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

I hope the hospital collections department gets every penny of her income from this.
                          What about money for the children.

This thread is disturbing for me.I know there are harmfull things going on everyday.
                          But this one is 14 kids possibly getting screwed while everyone is.....
                          AHHH!!
                          Forget it.I'll let you guys remain civil and discuss.I start trippin'

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            What about money for the children.

This thread is disturbing for me.I know there are harmfull things going on everyday.
                            But this one is 14 kids possibly getting screwed while everyone is.....
                            AHHH!!
                            Forget it.I'll let you guys remain civil and discuss.I start trippin'
                            I don't think she is a fit mother; and I doubt any money she personally gets will be used primarily for the benefit of the children. With 14 kids, it won't last her more than a couple of years anyway.

Comment

I don't think she is a fit mother; and I doubt any money she personally gets will be used primarily for the benefit of the children. With 14 kids, it won't last her more than a couple of years anyway.
                              Looking at it from that view I agree.
                              That money could do the children some good.
                              This Sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X