X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Lifetime warranty a scam?

Judging by the various threads in this Ridgid forum, and others on the web, the LSA folks have been on August for a quiet a while now (at least since January).
    It seems the only recent success post regarding LSA’s, are those that had to fix existing LSA’s that were inadvertently deleted by Ridgid (inadvertent? maybe not).

Do a Google search about Ridgid’s warranty, and you can find a high number of people that have had tools sent in on the LSA, and had them returned with service centers claiming normal wear and tear is not covered by this warranty. Obviously, I cannot know if these were LSA issues, our regular 3 year warranty issues, but it sure makes me regret buying Ridgid rather than my first choice, Dwalt. Yes, it true. Without the LSA, I would have never purchased a Ridgid power tool.

Comment

wetii,

Sorry for the frustrating experience. PM me your contact info and we'll get this handled.

To everyone, August to now is certainly too long and we need to speed up the process. I know. In the meantime, thanks to all for the posts and RIDGID support.

Comment

If I were Ridgid I would get some temp. service help to enter the LSA information.

Just bring in as many as you can for a couple of months to get caught up.

Good for the economy Too!!!

No charge for the advice... but you can send me the CEO's bonus check if you like.
        Last edited by EasyEman; 03-05-2009, 10:36 AM.

Comment

ProBrand
          I sent the requested contact info. I truly hope you can make a difference.

Comment

I have only been waiting since Nov. 30. Any bets on how long it'll take them to make it from August to November?

Comment

ProBrand,
              Thanks for giving us HOPE! Please followup with any new info after you review the current process and determine what you can do to fix it.
              Ron

Comment

I'm glad that someone brought this up. It caused me to look at my TS warranty to see if it had been updated. Purchased it in early November mailed required information along with a toe nail clipping, a lock of hair from my first born, etc... within the first three days of purchase and the three year status is still there.. I will say that I did not have this problem with all the other tools that I have purchased from Ridgid. They all show LSA covered. I'm not upset...yet. They make a good tool and I want to keep my faith in them soooo...... we'll see.

Comment

seems like it is a scam. i purchased a drill as part of the "batteries for life" marketing they did and now that my batteries are dying on me, it seems like they are singing a different tune. first of all, you have to take your drill, batteries, and charger to an authorized center - for me this was a one hour drive one way... then when i got there, they confirmed that the battery was bad. then they informed me that there are thousands of batteries on "backorder" and they did not know when i would be able to get one. you would have thought they could have told me that when i called and discussed in detail the purpose of my trip and that i was from another town. anyway, they took the battery and sent me on my way with a "claim check". not sure what i am supposed to do from here.... hard to get any answers from anyone... i guess nobody wants to back up their product these days. this was the whole reason i went with ridgid over dewalt. Next time i will just go with dewalt and know that i will just buy a new battery when it goes bad...
                  now my second battery is going bad and i will soon be completely without use of my tool. @"#?^%@(*%^@$%^!!!

Comment

I hate to say it, because I don't do business this way......

If I had the ridgid set and the batteries went bad and they could not give me some replacements in a timely fashion I would consider buying another kit and returning it in the 90 day period. Don't use the tools in the kit, just the batteries. I don't consider this a good way to go about things, but you get left little choice.

Comment

Out of curiosity, are there any plumbers who sent in the warranty card and actually followed up on it? Asked for replacement parts?

I brought a tool back once 24 years ago and the counter guys laughed till they cried. It seems dragging eletric tools through mud, ice, and dropping it offa ladders voids warranties...

Or I'm out in the field when it dies and I ain't about to fuss with warranty departments. I just whip out the money clip and buy a new one at the closest place.
                      (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

normally, wear and there are not included in the warranty..

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
                          Out of curiosity, are there any plumbers who sent in the warranty card and actually followed up on it? Asked for replacement parts?

I brought a tool back once 24 years ago and the counter guys laughed till they cried. It seems dragging eletric tools through mud, ice, and dropping it offa ladders voids warranties...

Or I'm out in the field when it dies and I ain't about to fuss with warranty departments. I just whip out the money clip and buy a new one at the closest place.
                          i have sent in a propress to ridgid for repairs and got it back fixed. all for the cost of postage 1 way to them

had another propress i took to my local repair center and they had it returned to me the same week all on their dime.

no, i didn't have to contact anyone on the in to get it done. as far as they knew i was just the average joe and not plumber rick

sure a propress is about as spendy as it gets.

but i've also had a camera go bad and they fixed it. that was 5 plus years ago and that's when i discovered the forum.

i doubt anyone has invested what i have into the ridgid line of tools. both the high end high price plumbing tools and the everyday home depot ridgid line of tools. from saws, drills, impacts, both portable and stationary.

if i was ever worried about ridgid not standing behind their products, i would have never invested what i have over the last 30 years.

remember that the service centers are not the final word. ridge tool is the final word and if they say it's covered, it's covered

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I bought a Rigid drill rather than a competitor's product solely because of the "lifetime" warranty.

But I'm sitting here trying to fill out the warranty card and comply with all its terms. I guess I've found out why they can offer this apparently excellent warranty -- it's so hard to fill out the form, most people will not do so.

(And, from what we hear in this forum, even if you can manage to send in all the paperwork you won't be credited for it for years. What a way to run a company!)

So here's what you have to do here: Fill out the (needlessly complicated) form -- don't forget all the serial numbers. Cut out your UPC code from the packaging. Make a xerox of your sales receipt and draw an arrow pointing to the item and mail that in with the form. Wait ... forever.

And Rigid has the nerve to title this form "Register in two simple steps."

I personally have better things to do with my time. So, I guess my only solution is: Never buy anything from Rigid/Home Depot again for the rest of my natural life. What other choice do I have to protest this example of sleazy process of executing a warranty?

Pity, though. Seemed like a decent drill. And if I could go online and register with name, email address, and say, serial number (to ID the drill), that would be burdensome but I'd do so. But the current method is so baroque, so needlessly complex, I have to conclude that it's a scam.

Shame on you, Home Depot. Count me in for the class-action suit.

Comment

Please! If you can't fill out the info, then you shouldn't be using power tools! I t is such a small inconvenience to be able to get FREE replacement. This is America, you are free to buy whatever you like. I just get tired of the folks whinning about how difficult it is to get the registration, drive to the service center and etc.
                              If it doesn't work for you, I have found that a simple phone call to customer service (get name for follow up if required) and usually it is resolved right then.
                              My rant is over!

Comment

The drill is a good tool, so are the rest of my 18volt cordless Ridgid tools, unfortunately the LSA is another matter. Seems there are an awful lot of folks who don't properly register, myself included although I am sure I did everything right at the time. The customer service rep I have been exchanging emails with has been of no help, refuses to treat me as an individual and in my opinion will lose business for Ridgid in the long run. I am happy for the folks who have had the LSA honored, but speaking for myself, I feel it is a failure. If as the customer rep told me "thousands" of folks fail to properly register, the process needs an overhaul. He pointed out that for all he knows my tools are either second hand or stolen, really didn't make me feel better about the Ridgid customer rep. For the sake of Ridgid, this thread may become locked or deleted. I hope the folks at Ridgid take this critism to heart and improve their registration system so that honest, loyal customers get what they paid for. Frank B.

Comment

Working...
                                X