Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
    https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

Its time for everyone who thinks they have been ripped off to say something where it might get some results. Follow the link above and give them a link to this thread. Maybe if they get a few reportsthey will look into it.

Who knows, maybe 60 Minutes would be interested.
    I've always got the impression - and this is based on my intense dislike of spam/unsolicited selling wither it be by mail or phone - that the FTC is really weak at pursuing and enforcing laws connected with unwanted selling. That is just one type of consumer complaint but I really wonder what results filing something with the FTC will bring. Don't get me wrong I really wish they would be more assertive about this but consumer complaints seems to be very low down the list of govt priorities.

60 minutes is an interesting idea.

Comment

Their website says the following;

Complaints from consumers help us detect patterns of fraud and abuse. The FTC would like to know about your complaint and the Complaint Assistant will help guide you.
      IF (and I have no proof nor am I stating that it is) it were determined that the LSA was a intentional deception on the part of TTI and/or HD as many here seem to believe, then would it not fall under the definition of a fraud?

It would seem that the method of detecting a pattern of fraud would be to convey any concerns and let them take a look for a pattern. Repeated problems over 6 or more years may or may not qualify as a pattern, maybe its just a understaffed LSA department who can't manage a simple database.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

Comment

Ridgid tools only purchased at Home Depot qualify for the LSA program.
        Ridgid tools purchased in Mexico only have a 25 year warranty.
        Ridgid tools only purchased in Canada Home Depot qualify for the LSA program.

Buying Ridgid power tools any other place limits you to the 3 year warranty.
        Amazon, CPC, E-bay...etc.etc. only offer a maximum three year warranty when the tool is new.
        The LSA program is "the hook" to get you to buy at Home Depot!

With used or refurbished tools you get a 30-90 day warranty and then all bets are off.

My observation is the Home Depot computer [?] is unable to communicate with the Ridgid computer [?].

If you buy Ridgid tools on the Home Depot website...that stuff can be forwarded to Ridgid for LSA registration.

If you buy any Ridgid tool the on line registration will handle the 3 year warranty without any challenges.
        I suspect it's simply because you only need the model number and serial number for registration.

Now, when you do the LSA registration you add a component..the Home Depot receipt UPC code.
        This verifies the tool was purchased at a specific Home Depot, what Ridgid tool was purchased, etc.etc.

I believe this is where the problem lies.....Ridgid has a program problem recognizing the Home Depot
        UPC code.....
        What is really confusing is that once and a while the system does recognize a Home Depot purchase
        and the tool is immediately recognized and registered for the LSA program....

Perhaps Ridgid and Home Depot need to upgrade to Windows-10?

Cactus Man

Last edited by cactusman; 03-28-2016, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Their website says the following;

IF (and I have no proof nor am I stating that it is) it were determined that the LSA was a intentional deception on the part of TTI and/or HD as many here seem to believe, then would it not fall under the definition of a fraud?

It would seem that the method of detecting a pattern of fraud would be to convey any concerns and let them take a look for a pattern. Repeated problems over 6 or more years may or may not qualify as a pattern, maybe its just a understaffed LSA department who can't manage a simple database.

I'm not sure what the criteria for the FTC is to make a determination that this would indicate a pattern of fraud. I think they would probably have to get a certain number of complaints very similar in nature with the same product/service to in order to make that ruling. However I'n guessing if there was a basis for such action the accused party would have an opportunity to refute the action. The only clear way to enable a successful prosecution would be to actually have some hard info like an internal memo showing that "problems" should be manufactured for X% of people registering in order to keep the program viable. Something like that would be a clear indication of fraud. As it stands it could be sheer incompetence although any company if serious about this would have resolved all the issues a long time ago.

I have not had any issues with online transactions in years. So really there is no excuse for all the issues people are having.

The fact that they are deleting negative FB posts instead of expressing conern and looking into people's concerns is a red flag.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post

I'm not sure what the criteria for the FTC is to make a determination that this would indicate a pattern of fraud. I think they would probably have to get a certain number of complaints very similar in nature with the same product/service to in order to make that ruling. However I'n guessing if there was a basis for such action the accused party would have an opportunity to refute the action. The only clear way to enable a successful prosecution would be to actually have some hard info like an internal memo showing that "problems" should be manufactured for X% of people registering in order to keep the program viable. Something like that would be a clear indication of fraud. As it stands it could be sheer incompetence although any company if serious about this would have resolved all the issues a long time ago.

I have not had any issues with online transactions in years. So really there is no excuse for all the issues people are having.

The fact that they are deleting negative FB posts instead of expressing conern and looking into people's concerns is a red flag.
            You restate almost exactly what I said as if I never made the comment concerning showing a pattern of fraud, then go on to say that it would have to be proved that they are aware of the problem. I think over 6 years of complaints on this forum is right in their face and they ARE aware of it. I can go and see the last activity date for many members of this forum that I suspect are people who work for RIDGID in some capacity and know that they have been on the forum since all this started and I find it doubtful that they never noticed any of the issues brought up all these years. I don't know if they have read specific threads but it would be tough for them to prove they didn't see the subject lines and chose to ignore them or actually read the thread. In fact in one case there is a response from ProBrand in one of the threads so they ARE aware of the problem and choose to not correct it. This does not even take into account the number of times that the problem has been brought to their attention on various social media sites. And, if they have deleted negative postings there then it would seem to acknowledge that they have at least read those posts and chose to ignore them, and that would certainly seem to remove any doubt as to if they were aware of the problem.

I think that cactusman hit the nail on the head, the problem lies with communication between the Home Depot and TTI computers since the glitch always seems to be that the receipt code can not be verified. People who enter all the information requested within the required time frame should not lose their eligibility for the LSA because of a problem with HD or TTI computers systems that is BEYOND their control. And to for years repeatedly deny qualification to consumers on the grounds that they (TTI and HD) can not figure out how to get their computers to talk to each other may have started out innocently but has turned into a fraud because they exploit the communication error to their advantage. The "free batteries for life" is a scam if you only replace a battery once then claim that the replacement battery is not covered by the LSA.

----

Comment

You restate almost exactly what I said as if I never made the comment concerning showing a pattern of fraud, then go on to say that it would have to be proved that they are aware of the problem. I think over 6 years of complaints on this forum is right in their face and they ARE aware of it. I can go and see the last activity date for many members of this forum that I suspect are people who work for RIDGID in some capacity and know that they have been on the forum since all this started and I find it doubtful that they never noticed any of the issues brought up all these years. I don't know if they have read specific threads but it would be tough for them to prove they didn't see the subject lines and chose to ignore them or actually read the thread. In fact in one case there is a response from ProBrand in one of the threads so they ARE aware of the problem and choose to not correct it. This does not even take into account the number of times that the problem has been brought to their attention on various social media sites. And, if they have deleted negative postings there then it would seem to acknowledge that they have at least read those posts and chose to ignore them, and that would certainly seem to remove any doubt as to if they were aware of the problem.

I think that cactusman hit the nail on the head, the problem lies with communication between the Home Depot and TTI computers since the glitch always seems to be that the receipt code can not be verified. People who enter all the information requested within the required time frame should not lose their eligibility for the LSA because of a problem with HD or TTI computers systems that is BEYOND their control. And to for years repeatedly deny qualification to consumers on the grounds that they (TTI and HD) can not figure out how to get their computers to talk to each other may have started out innocently but has turned into a fraud because they exploit the communication error to their advantage. The "free batteries for life" is a scam if you only replace a battery once then claim that the replacement battery is not covered by the LSA.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that as far as the FTC is concerned would simply having multiple complaints be considered fraud since it could also be due to sheer incompetence. I'm not sure what their criteria is. I know many of us feel that that there is potentially some kind of fraud since if you think about it there really is no rational explanation for not fixing this registration issue which has been going on for years. And yes you are correct there are many complaints on other forums as well - I searched and saw many threads with very similar titles to this one. Plus that fact that you and I have experienced issues it shows that it is not isolated. And if you look at the whole picture including things like incomplete registration, having to wait for emails to say that registration was not completed (no excuse for not reporting that at the time of registering - if it has to be done manually it should be fixed so that Ridgid's computers can talk to HDs computers - it can be done and I have a friend who runs a business specializing in getting different computer systems to talk to each other) bearing in mind emails can get lost, batteries as you point out etc, everything does point to trying to make it hard to get coverage. So don't get me wrong I fully agree with everything you are saying - I'm just unclear how aggressive the FTC is on these types of things given how lax they are about things like unsolicited marketing.

Comment

If the problem lies between ridgid and HD for this long how is it possible for either one not to know. Look at the threads on this site alone and how far back they date

Comment

They are working on it. That's what I was told when I spoke with TTI Warranty yesterday.
                  I spent about 15 minutes on the phone with them.

Also, I was told that ANY Home Depot should be able to check batteries and if found bad then
                  you will get a replacement battery from TTI. The local HD will not issue a replacement battery,
                  the batteries are shipped from a warehouse. So if your HD won't do it then I would call the number
                  below before you even leave HD and get it cleared up. I was told every HD should be able to check
                  batteries and any HD with a rental center should be able to check tools.

You have a bad battery and take it back, and they want the charger and the tools too and you're pissed,
                  it's just a bad battery. But they need to check the charger and make sure it is charging at the correct
                  voltage and the temperature controller is working and they want to check the tools to be sure they are
                  not causing the battery to go bad. Unfortunately these are possibilities that you have to accept as plausible
                  so you'll need to hand over the whole mess sometimes. It's never happened to me, luckily I have not had a
                  3Y warranty or LSA claim as yet, just problems registering for the LSA. But I can feel for those that can' afford
                  to give up their tools for months to get a bad battery issue resolved. They need to improve the turnaround time
                  significantly. It's unreasonable to expect people earning a living with their tools to wait weeks to even find out
                  the tool or charger or battery is at fault and then wait for replacement items to be shipped from the TTI warehouse.

It is also because of the batteries being shipped from a third party location that you need to
                  re-register your replacement batteries under the LSA so that they too will be covered. Yes,
                  that's right, you replacement batteries WILL be covered IF you register them. They can NOT
                  be automatically registered because they have no idea what the serial number of the
                  replacement battery is that you were sent from the warehouse.

From the RIDGID Powertools website:
                  If a serialized piece of equipment with LSA status is ever replaced, the customer has 90 days to
                  call 1-866-539-1710 and re-register that piece of equipment. Proof of replacement required.
                  Pieces of eligible equipment that are not re-registered within 90 days of replacement are not
                  covered by the Lifetime Service Agreement.

You can contact them using the information below which you will also find on their website.

CONTACT RIDGID

Call Us at 1-866-539-1710 Customer Service Hours (EST):

8-8pm Monday - Friday
                  9-6pm Saturday & Sunday Canada Customer Service Hours (EST):

8-4:30pm Monday-Friday Address:

RIDGID Power Tools
                  P.O. Box 1427
                  Anderson, SC 29622

----------

I worked in the automotive repair industry for a subsidiary of Goodyear many years ago and we sold many items
                  that were made by other companies but with our brand on them. Same trick as TTI selling under the RIDGID brand
                  or Sears selling shop-vacs and power tools made by Emerson or Ryobi with the Craftsman brand on them. We sold shocks
                  from Monroe, batteries from Exide, front end parts from Moog, mufflers and pipes from Walker, etc. When those
                  parts had problems we didn't do what TTI does, we replaced it on the spot and we, the local dealer, suffered the
                  pain of the return and waiting to get the inventory replaced that we gave out to satisfy the warranty claim.
                  The customer didn't wait, the local dealer had to honor the claim and wait. PITA for us but kept the customer happy
                  and coming back for more which ultimately is what you want as a retailer I would think. ANYTHING that gives the
                  consumer a bad taste about your product or business is bad for your bottom line.
                  But that was the 1970s, a different time I guess.
                  Last edited by Bob D.; 03-30-2016, 03:02 AM.

----

Comment

If it truly is due to technical issues maybe they should think about who they are hiring to resolve this. Obviously as someone working in the technical field I can understand there are challenges but taking years to resolve? On a complex or futuristic idea I can understand issues but not getting two computer system to talk to each other in my mind does not qualify.

As far as customer service - if you service a specialized market or located in a small town with limited customers it is probably more important to keep your customers happy. In the consumer market there are so many potential customers it is less necessary to be so - for each one you upset there will be another potential customer coming along believing they have no questions asked hassle free service for as long as they have the tool.

Comment

• Bob D.
                      Bob D. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree there is no excuse after all this time for the problems with data exchange between HD and TTI, heads should roll.

I disagree with your take on customer service; while it may be true its not how I treat people I deal with nor want to be treated. I prefer not to do business with a company (or person) that believes there is another sucker standing in line behind me and they don't have to worry about they treat me.

• blue_can
                      blue_can commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was not saying I agree with this kind of customer service or would ever hope to offer such service in any organization I was associated with. I was just pointing out why it was probably possible to not offer good service and still keep getting customers due to the size of the market and new customers who have not heard of the issues. By no means am I endorsing such poor service.
                  Working...
                  X