Is Lifetime warranty a scam?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Lifetime warranty a scam?

Myfirst post is out of anger but it seems to be normal for Rigid. All I want to do it to register my tools fora Lifetime Service Agreement. This iswhy I buy the tools so if they fail me I don’t get screwed but It appears thatI get the screwing up front. I began tobuy the Rigid for the guarantee that is why Rigid came up with it so bump outDewalt, Porter Cable Bosch and the other brand name tools. I use to swear by them may be goingback. I just recently jump through thehoop and registered tool with the form the barcode original receipt and droppedit the mailbox. Now I get a positing onmy Rigid site that I am not eligible because I failed…really! I cringe because I have an impact drill andtile saw to do too which I might be wasting my time. With all the technology available today withthe big time marketing of the Lifetime tool warranty…is this really the onlyway Rigid came up with to register your tools? I believe it is by design. I will be reevaluating my tool purchases!

Comment

Yes, the Rigid Tools lifetime warranty is a scam. I purchased a very expensive drill, registered it for the warranty, and sent in the receipt as they required. Drill went bad and Rigid won't repair it. When I talk to people on their 800 number, they have my purchase information but they can't find the receipt so they say warranty is void. Think about it, I'm in their system and they have my date and location of purchase but because they lost the original receipt, warranty is void.

But I'm a fastidious and anal retentive fellow admittedly. Not only did I scan the original receipt, I also made a Xerox copy of it for my own tool file where I also keep owners manuals. I offered to send a copy of the original receipt to Rigid but they said, "Too bad, we don't have the original receipt so your warranty is void."

Comment

Two posts, a couple of months apart and both highly negative... So, what are either of you two guys doing about this?

Personally, I don't understand it and neither story seems to be quite right. With the first story (rsm155), you say you got a "positing onmy Rigid site that I am not eligible because I failed" (your spelling is horrible). Well, I've never heard that one before. I don't recall anyone every getting a posting that said they "failed". If the registration is incomplete, it simply says nothing, and nothing is ever posted other than the fact that you might have a 3-year warranty instead of the LLSA. So, your alledged experience doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but either way you should certainly follow up with a phone call or two to Ridgid Customer Support.

With Dash, you really need to follow up too. How long has it been since you purchased and registered the tools? Has it been months or years since you did this, and did you follow up with a check of the website to ensure that your registration was properly posted? Yeah, I know that you shouldn't have to, but with anything these days, there is certainly a need to follow through with any kind of warranty or promised service program. You statement that they told you ""Too bad, we don't have the original receipt so your warranty is void." doesn't make sense to me either, as I've never seen anything that tells you that the "original" receipt has to be sent to them!

I've registered more than a dozen Ridgid tools, with over twenty components, since 2003 and I've yet to have a single failure of the LLSA registration process. There was not even one instance in which I sent in the original receipt. The requirement is that you must send in the original UPC from the product carton, along with a copy of receipt... and you must of course properly identify (mark with arrow or circle) the item being registered on that copy of the receipt. You MUST include the particular tool model number, its serial number, and all the components like batteries, chargers, included accessories where identifiable and of course you need to give them your identification like name, address, phone, etc.

SO, what is the problem and who and for what reason did they deny your registration? And if that did happen and if you do have a back-up copy of all that they sent, you need to talk to someone higher perhaps. If you have a really valid concern and the fault is NOT YOURS, you need to follow through.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

CWS,

Follow up? Do you have a number or address? In my case, initially I brought in bad 24V batteries to Home Depot on Jefferson Street in Los Angeles which is an authorized Rigid service center. After 2 months time, they said I needed to bring in the charger which I did. After another month, they said to bring in the drill which I did. So three months later they said they couldn't replace the batteries because they were no longer made.

I called Rigid Tools and they were able to quickly look up on their computer and acknowledge that I did in fact register my tools. They had the date of purchase, location of purchase and amount of sale along with my name, address, and e-mail. Then they told me, "We're sorry but we don't have the original receipt so the warranty is not valid." I argued, "I sent you the receipt. How else would you have all my purchase information?" They replied, "Sorry." I told them I would send them a copy of the receipt along with current pictures of the tool which looks like new. Again, they said no, no warranty.

If you have someone I could call, please forward the number.

Comment

interesting that's my home depot and is the highest grossing store in the country. they have a full time ridgid / tti rep there. although he usually wears the Milwaukee red colors. the rental center handles the warranty and battery replacements.

what brought you into town?

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              interesting that's my home depot and is the highest grossing store in the country. they have a full time ridgid / tti rep there. although he usually wears the Milwaukee red colors. the rental center handles the warranty and battery replacements.

what brought you into town?

rick.

The rodeo...

Comment

Originally posted by dash View Post
                CWS,

Follow up? Do you have a number or address? In my case, initially I brought in bad 24V batteries to Home Depot on Jefferson Street in Los Angeles which is an authorized Rigid service center. After 2 months time, they said I needed to bring in the charger which I did. After another month, they said to bring in the drill which I did. So three months later they said they couldn't replace the batteries because they were no longer made.

I called Rigid Tools and they were able to quickly look up on their computer and acknowledge that I did in fact register my tools. They had the date of purchase, location of purchase and amount of sale along with my name, address, and e-mail. Then they told me, "We're sorry but we don't have the original receipt so the warranty is not valid." I argued, "I sent you the receipt. How else would you have all my purchase information?" They replied, "Sorry." I told them I would send them a copy of the receipt along with current pictures of the tool which looks like new. Again, they said no, no warranty.

If you have someone I could call, please forward the number.
                I'll stick with Makita ! Shame on You Ridgid !
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I occasionally come to Los Angeles to help out my brother who is a general contractor - Leif Olson Construction. I talked to the Ridgid/Milwaukee rep at the Los Angeles Jefferson Street Home Depot last year several times. He was out for a while due to a badly broken foot or something like that but after he came back, he's the one who told me Ridgid doesn't make 24V batteries any more.

Comment

Just read this thread and I agree on the frustration. No way should Ridgid be treating their customers like this. On the other hand I view electric/battery powered hand tools as disposable. Once in a while I will send a more expensive tool in for service (right angle drill or portable bandsaw) but drills, sawsalls, hammer drills get tossed when they're worn out or fail.

David

Comment

This warranty is a scam for sure. I have half of the tools I purchased that for some bullshit reason didn't have the correct info filed. When you do exactly as they ask online registering it will not work half the time. Then you need to take time to f with them by snail mail since they notify you with a "do not reply" email. I have totally had it with these *******s. They are scammers and liars and actually fraudulent. They hope you will just give up. Pass the word to anyone you know buying or anyone you see in the store that the lifetime agreement is bullshit. I am on a mission to spread the word.
                      Gary Swaney

Comment

Working...
                      X