Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He has my vote!

DO YOU THINK IF WE ASK HIM,

HE'D RUN FOR PRESIDENT OF THE U.S. ? or Prime Minister of Canada ??

Prime Minister John Howard - Australia
    Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia , as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks.
    Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques. Quote: 'IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.'
    'This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom'
    'We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society . Learn the language!'
    'Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.'
    'We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.'
    'This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom,
    'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'.' 'If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.'

Re: He has my vote!

Target extremists, yes

Muslims, no

Targeting an entire religion based on the actions of a few is about as un-American as you can get.

Timothy McVeigh was an American Catholic. Nobody is talking about banning Catholics.

This guy can stay in Australia.

First Ammendment - Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Freedom of religion can not exist without freedom from religion.

Thinks to himself - I shouldn't discuss politics or religion on this forum

Just my 2 cents

Now I'm going to go hide

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

We can't have these discussions on this forum because people like you don't understand what they just read. Jump to conclusions too dam quick when the post said "radicals" of a religion not the religion.
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I'd vote for him! The really sad thing is that there is not one legitimate politician in America with the guts to say what he said and then do something about it.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Reading something and understanding what you read are two mutually exclusive concepts.

"If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.'
          'We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us."

I underlined and made bold a very important part of Mr. Howards statement.

Mr. Howard is advocating acceptance BY ALL SIDES and all religious beliefs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
            Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques.

'Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.'

I think I understood what I perceive as anti-american statements quite well, thank you. If an American politician said this publicly he'd quickly be reminded of the first ammendment that our fore fathers were so wise to create for us.

Mark has pointed out to me that the problem with these type of discussions is the personal attacks and the tone that is sometimes taken from some people. I have taken no harsh tone and I have attacked no one.

Thank you Mark and my fellow forum members.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Thought you were going to hide

Seriously though... at what point do civil liberties of indoctrinated members of subcultures trump freedom of religion? When is our government required to step in?

Is it better to allow radical muslims, or pseudo-mormon polygamists, or cult of personality types to go their way until can they can be convicted of a crime, or to incarcerate them indefinitly w/o trial ala gitmo to prevent them from bringing their hopes of mayhem to fruition?

What on earth are we going to do with the people in gitmo? If they weren't credible threats before, they surely have a deep hatred of the USA now.

At what point is covert monitorinng to determine their intent and capabilities appropriate? At what point in the mayhem scheme is action appropriate?

What threats made in private to peers are actionable? I've expressed a sincere desire to dance on the grave of more than one person, and to gladly put them there myself, but in more sober moments I'd never go there. If a gov mole taped me saying such things is that actionable? Grounds for incarceration?

If someone is monitored as a potential terrorist threat, and as a result some less heinous criminal activity is discovered, is that then prosecutable? If I am overheard saying I'd like to see our president slain and monitored to see if I am a threat, and found to be utterly innocent of terrorist aims but do happen to have a backyard full of pot plants, is it then right to arrest me for that?

Climbing up on the soap box is easy, but the devil is in the details.

America is approaching a point where we will have to decide if we want to live in a free but dangerous society, or a heavily policed, utterly unprivate, but safe one.

Personally I fear ever making law enforcement's radar. It's just too easy to nail about anyone on something AND make it look like they deserve it.
              Last edited by Ace Sewer; 02-14-2009, 06:01 AM.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
              X