Reality Hits Home.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reality Hits Home.....

THANK GOD THINGS ARE SLOWING DOWN!!!!!! Listen, things have been going hog-wild now for close to 10 years and every friggin apprentice with a toolbag and a cell phone is out there hacking it up for beer money.

The slow times kill the hacks. They don't last. I'm all for the best deal I can get but people who cut their prices to get the work are going to die a quick death in the next two years. This is good for the good guys, and I have to say with a reasonable amount of pride for myself and thanks to the people who trained me that I'm absolutely swamped.

However, we had to let go a good guy last Friday and now I have survivor's guilt.

Comment

Am I supposed to feel sad when I see this? I don't. WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE BOUGHT HOUSES THEY COULDN'T AFFORD THAT CAUSED THIS WHOLE BUBBLE BURST. That is the main cause of what we are seeing. Owning a house is a luxury, and its difficult to afford. SO what? I see it as justice, the recession we are in. We NEEDED it! Hail the recession!

I agree 100% with JC. As a whole Americans are spoiled rotten, and have way too high expectations. Everyone in my generation seems to live off of credit cards, high-interest auto loans and ridiculous mortgages. The foreclosures will continue, as they should. Can't pay the bank? Should have thought of that when you signed the loan!

We need to get bakc to paying CASH for things, and stop living off of credit as a society.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Tom, all your posts while informative come to no conclusion.

You act as if there is no reason for success, no reason for failure, multiple reasons for success, multiple reasons for failure and no reason for people to try to do better irregardless of priveleges or obstacles. All at the same time.

Did you ever work for the government?

J.C.

JC you can not imagine how happy you have made me. Because that is exactly what I have attempted to do.

Clinicians are trained to offer facts and information. Aside from a couple treatment modalities called therapist directed, we generally don't offer conclusions. On an individual level clients have to come to their own conclusions. I can offer you advice all day long and what good would it do? If I offer you facts and ideas and let you come to your own conclusions the likelyhood of those conclusions becoming part of your personna is much higher.

I haven't practiced formally in a number of years. I am happy to hear I can still offer information non-judgmentally for assesment.

Aside from serving on legislative advisory boards in the distant past I have never worked for the government

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
          JC you can not imagine how happy you have made me. Because that is exactly what I have attempted to do.

Clinicians are trained to offer facts and information. Aside from a couple treatment modalities called therapist directed, we generally don't offer conclusions. On an individual level clients have to come to their own conclusions. I can offer you advice all day long and what good would it do? If I offer you facts and ideas and let you come to your own conclusions the likelyhood of those conclusions becoming part of your personna is much higher.

I haven't practiced formally in a number of years. I am happy to hear I can still offer information non-judgmentally for assesment.

Aside from serving on legislative advisory boards in the distant past I have never worked for the government

Tom
          That explains alot. Glad to make you happy.

And it's the majority of people's fault for the position they are in. Thanks for helping me reinforce my conclusion.

J.C.

Comment

Ok JC, I have to explain a bit about why someone living with a section 8 voucher is unable to read/write. All the moms in my program are 18-24. They come in having dropped out of school or sporadically attending school anywhere from Jr. high through High School. Their parents were not good role models, did not inform them of the importance of education. Rather, they grew up with lives filled with drugs, prostituion, gangs, and abuse of all kinds.

When the girls enter into our program, they must get a GED, at a minimum. Believe it or not, it is tough to convince them that it is the minimum needed for any kind of a decent job. With low self esteem, minimal education, and being a 2nd or 3rd generation welfare recipient it is hard to understand that you could actually strive for a job that pays better than minimum wage.

All this being said, it kills me that every girl comes in with a tv and I have to fight with them not to put their small children (under 5) in designer clothes as they will out grow them before they have a chance to wear them a second time. Again this goes back to educatio. Nobody has taught them about budgeting or saving for something. They live on impulse and seeing themselves through other people's eyes.
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
              Darius, You are an IT guy. I don't have the statistics at hand but I am certain even an old guy like me could do a Google search and come up with the numbers. In the old days to acquire the statistics meant pouring through the stacks in the basement of a library and whining to the reference librarian that you can't find something. You guys today have it easy. (I am trying to sound like my father.)
              Tom,

First, I am very familiar with the older methods of research and I spent more hours in libraries than I can count to. I'm not exactly a teenager anymore.

Second, it has been my experience, regardless of whether the internet is available or not, that if one mentions some research results he or she should be prepared to at least direct someone to the title of the research paper if that is requested. That is simply common practice in any kind of debates.

Yes, I can find all kinds of research results around the net. Are they going to be exactly the ones you refer to? The net is a vast place. The problem is not finding information but sifting through it.

As for C8 housing (no familiarity but I checked it is assisted housing), various groups of people live there. To some living in assisted housing is a disaster, to some it's a huge step up. Did the research you mention consider that?
              In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post

Am I supposed to feel sad when I see this? I don't. WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE BOUGHT HOUSES THEY COULDN'T AFFORD THAT CAUSED THIS WHOLE BUBBLE BURST. That is the main cause of what we are seeing. Owning a house is a luxury, and its difficult to afford. SO what? I see it as justice, the recession we are in. We NEEDED it! Hail the recession!

I agree 100% with JC. As a whole Americans are spoiled rotten, and have way too high expectations. Everyone in my generation seems to live off of credit cards, high-interest auto loans and ridiculous mortgages. The foreclosures will continue, as they should. Can't pay the bank? Should have thought of that when you signed the loan!

We need to get bakc to paying CASH for things, and stop living off of credit as a society.
                no one really saw it coming, till its all over..

Comment

It's a hard thing to do, face this situation while not letting the news tell you what to fear.

I mean, you need to be informed and know about how hard this is hitting many people. But if you are doing okay, then you also need to focus on that, not on how bad it is (which the news keeps repeating). Because if you start to stress and worry about it hitting you (beyond the normal precautions you should take anyway), then you might even create a situation where you let if affect you, if that makes sense.
                  Brett
                  Internet Blocking | Website Blocking

Comment

Originally posted by michael stephen View Post
                    Respectfully, incorrect.

Those that live within their means or below them saw it coming. I remember talking about how this had to happen some years ago with others.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Respectfully, incorrect.

Those that live within their means or below them saw it coming. I remember talking about how this had to happen some years ago with others.

J.C.

I knew it was coming, everything cannot keep going up. The inflated prices of homes was a sure bet that something was amuck.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by michael stephen View Post
                        With respect, a blind man could have seen the real estate fiasco coming.
                        People with minimal income buying homes priced WAY out of their means. Others with decent income buying multiple homes thinking they can flip but only ended up flopping. On the other end, the banks with loose lending standards thanks to the community reinvestment act of the 70's and then further loosened in the 90's.

Yeah, I saw it coming. Just didn't expect it to affect as much of the economy as it has. That's the problem with having a centralized government setting the rules. It becomes a house of cards. One area goes down and brings all the rest with it.

Comment

What is really PO'ing me about all this is the fact that the government is going to force the banks to renegotiate the terms until the people who couldn't afford their house to begin with can. So, the people who should have bought in my modest neighborhood (based on income, etc.) are going to get to keep their McMansions and live high on the hog with a mortgage the same or less than mine, all subsidized by my tax dollars. I don't mind them helping out people who have lost jobs, etc, but helping people keep homes they cannot afford and never should have bought (or been allowed to get the mortgage for that matter) is just rewarding bad behavior. They should be rewarding those of us who live within their means and make every payment on time, and have savings to get us by in the event of a job loss, but we get nothing-nada-zippo! What is wrong with this picture?

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
                            What is really PO'ing me about all this is the fact that the government is going to force the banks to renegotiate the terms until the people who couldn't afford their house to begin with can. So, the people who should have bought in my modest neighborhood (based on income, etc.) are going to get to keep their McMansions and live high on the hog with a mortgage the same or less than mine, all subsidized by my tax dollars. I don't mind them helping out people who have lost jobs, etc, but helping people keep homes they cannot afford and never should have bought (or been allowed to get the mortgage for that matter) is just rewarding bad behavior. They should be rewarding those of us who live within their means and make every payment on time, and have savings to get us by in the event of a job loss, but we get nothing-nada-zippo! What is wrong with this picture?
                            Everything is wrong with the picture! The bank bailouts was wrong and so is this whole "stimulus" package. How can it make sense that our tax dollars will create new jobs and help the economy? Now they are saying it will prevent the loss of more jobs rather than create three million new jobs. I don't care how many roads and bridges get fixed with the stimulus money(our money) as long as we are supporting the third world, illegals, people who got in over their heads and the corporate thieves who ran their businesses into the ground, things will only get worse. Let's not keep ignoring the credit card end of this problem, wait till that bill comes due and it hits the fan!

Comment

I hope I never loose the ability to feel compassion for others.
                              Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I think of myself as a compassionate man, I do feel for the other person and imagine myself in their shoes. I think that finding a balance between compassion and responsibility puts things into a better perspective, at least for myself. My sister in-law bought a two family house a couple years ago, the mortgage folks help her lie on the application so she would get the loan. Now she can't meet her payments and while I feel bad for her I am also upset that she knowingly put herself into that situation. I've watched tv programs showing the deplorable living conditions in some of these third world countries for years and I do feel bad for these folks and the difficult life they have, but I also understand that twenty million illegals in our country puts a tremendous burden on us and our lives. I have more compassion for the folks who have worked their jobs without goofing off and for no fault of their own get laid off due to the economy. I don't think there is enough wealth to provide for all the people in the world, we as consumers have allowed the rest of the world to grow in order to provide for our buying needs and now that we are cutting back they will suffer. Who is responsible for this mess? Those that left their jobs as farmers to work in factories or the many companies who abandoned the USA for cheap labor? I still can't imagine how this economy will or can turn around, I don't see it.

Comment

Working...
                                X