Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reality Hits Home.....

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
    I hope I never loose the ability to feel compassion for others.
    I also consider myself a compassionate person. If someone is trying to help themself, I am the first one there to help them. I volunteer with Habitat for humanity as well as the Boy Scouts and other charitable organizations. What I don't have compassion for are the people who make 50k/yr and strap themselves with a 400k mortgage (no money down, interest only for the first 2 years)on top of their 30k worth of credit card bills, and 500/mo car payment. I don't think my tax dollars (and now my future grandchildren's tax dollars) should go to support this unsustainable lifestyle. Why should I subsidize someone elses mortgage, when they (presumably) read and signed the papers and understood what they were getting into. If they did not understand what they were reading, they should have opened the yellow pages and paid an unbiased, uninvolved attorney 2 hours pay to read and explain the paperwork to them. When I was a kid, (im 45 btw) if you didn't have 20% down and decent credit, you didn't buy a house. Nobody would loan you the money. I admit the banks and mortgage people had some complicity here by offering ridiculous finance deals, but the bottom line is, nobody was forced into taking the bait. I know people who do more research before buying a vacuum cleaner, than they do before signing their mortgage paperwork. That's just wrong... The point of this rant is that I am with Frankie - I don't mind helping someone who due to medical issues, or job loss is down on their luck. I don't want my tax dollars subsidizing the lifestyles of those who just buried themselves in debt that they couldn't afford.

Comment

lost 3 good co-workers today, reality hit a little too close to home for me today. Scoping out the classifiedsjust in case. I dread having to back to work in the trades working for someone else.... damn lawyers

Comment

Wrench,
        Did you persue your license even though you went on to engineering, I seem to recall you mentioning taking the tests, definately something to fall back on in these times.
        The Other Rick

Comment

I did get my license unfortuntaly not many company out there are willing to pay for a master plumber to work "under" them and when i sold the business to my partner i signed an agreement that I would not open up another plumbing business within 5 years, that was only a year ago. I am not in the best position there either I may have to relocate to find a job or take a fairly substantial pay cut. I still have a job as of 8:00 this morning but i do not want to speculate my job security in the coming weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
            I don't mind helping someone who due to medical issues, or job loss is down on their luck. I don't want my tax dollars subsidizing the lifestyles of those who just buried themselves in debt that they couldn't afford.
            I think this is the main issue that hits home with the a lot of the people who are not very effected by the recession, because they have kept a good balance between making and spending. I remember hearing a few months that Americans total have racked up some hundred billion dollars in debt, though I can't remember the exact figure. The point is that people have this misconception of responsible spending because of loans and credit cards. We need to wean ourselves off of that misconception if we are to survive this long term.
            Brett
            Internet Blocking | Website Blocking

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
              This is a picture I took today while we were out jetting. This is the reality of this brutal economy I guess.

Being only 31 years old, I have seen only good times working in the trades. Ever since I got out of school there was ALWAYS enough work to go around. It is difficult to see all of the people around me struggling with no end in sight now.

I am thankful to be involved in a business that does not necessarily hinge on the economy. It was hard to see as I grew up in this town and this is not something you see everyday around here.

I hope things turn around soon and I am thankful every time my phone rings.
              My father just bought a house that was foreclosed on...guess they had enough money for smokes and booze. Not enough to pay the bills. Place was trashed. I feel sorry for her kid, but not her. My dad caught her rifleing thru the mailbox, she said she was looking for her food stamps...or a credit app sent to my dad?

Pathetic...now the government is creating a generation of people who must be supported by the ones who make sound decisions (people who make sound decisions). Sounds like they are recruiting more Democrats!

Comment

Working...
              X