Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Reality Hits Home..... Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reality Hits Home.....

    This is a picture I took today while we were out jetting. This is the reality of this brutal economy I guess.

    Being only 31 years old, I have seen only good times working in the trades. Ever since I got out of school there was ALWAYS enough work to go around. It is difficult to see all of the people around me struggling with no end in sight now.

    I am thankful to be involved in a business that does not necessarily hinge on the economy. It was hard to see as I grew up in this town and this is not something you see everyday around here.

    I hope things turn around soon and I am thankful every time my phone rings.
    Attached Files
    www.firstresponsedrain.com

  • #2
    Re: Reality Hits Home.....

    It hurts worse the closer it gets to home.
    I too am thankfull for my great blessings,friends,family and abilities at this time when so many are being displaced.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Reality Hits Home.....

      Really makes you thankful for what you have. We complain about some small things but if your in a situation like that its a whole new level of uncertainty and stress.

      Josh

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Reality Hits Home.....

        it is tough to see things like that but i wonder if they still have direct tv
        people need to watch how they spend there $ .when i get OT i dont go out and spend it on things i really dont need because there will be a day i wish i had that $
        Charlie

        My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


        http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

        new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Reality Hits Home.....

          Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
          it is tough to see things like that but i wonder if they still have direct tv
          people need to watch how they spend there $ .when i get OT i dont go out and spend it on things i really dont need because there will be a day i wish i had that $


          I couldn't help noticing that either.


          I'll say this,

          It's amazing how this bad economy is affecting people randomly, not everyone as a whole.

          If you were to see the LaRosa's Pizzeria in my town on any night, packed to the gills with people and pizzas walking out the door.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Reality Hits Home.....

            Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            I couldn't help noticing that either.


            I'll say this,

            It's amazing how this bad economy is affecting people randomly, not everyone as a whole.

            If you were to see the LaRosa's Pizzeria in my town on any night, packed to the gills with people and pizzas walking out the door.
            My wife went out to eat tonight. The first restaurant had a 1.5 hour wait, we left. The next restaurant had a two hour wait, we left. We ended up going to a cheaper place, and were seated right away.

            Of course it doesn't help that tonight is Valentines and the beginning of Mardi Gras. A lot of people were out.

            Lenny

            Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

            I know, it doesn't make sense.


            http://www.hebertdraincare.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Reality Hits Home.....

              In my work with Help With Housing, I've seen a lot of sad stories. Lots of the older folks are facing some very rough times. In most instances the old guys are veterans that saw action and fought for our country. It's hard to watch this. HWH does what we can, but there's only so much money to go around. I'm hopeful HWH can get some of the federal money and build a place that can house these folks in a respectful environment. They deserve at least that.

              Just as an aside, it's important to remember that when you have nothing, the TV becomes your only escape. These folks don't get vacations.
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Reality Hits Home.....

                I read in the paper where some of the big companies, like Citi Financial have suspended all forclosures for now. Too many forclosed homes they can't eat!
                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Reality Hits Home.....

                  If there is any saving grace to* living in this rat-hole of a city it is that because it is the capital of New York the economy is stable.* The tradesmen I have talked with, ones who do service work at homes, are all doing about the same as in past years.
                  My wife and I noticed the same thing as DUNBAR and HerbertDrainCare.* Long waiting times at restaurants.* Maybe it is as DUNBAR says and effecting people randomly. Don't know.

                  As sad as it is to witness the unfortunate circumstances of others, I am happy that the downturn has not hit me in terms of home foreclosure.

                  Tom

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Reality Hits Home.....

                    Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                    If there is any saving grace to* living in this rat-hole of a city it is that because it is the capital of New York the economy is stable.* The tradesmen I have talked with, ones who do service work at homes, are all doing about the same as in past years.
                    My wife and I noticed the same thing as DUNBAR and HerbertDrainCare.* Long waiting times at restaurants.* Maybe it is as DUNBAR says and effecting people randomly. Don't know.

                    As sad as it is to witness the unfortunate circumstances of others, I am happy that the downturn has not hit me in terms of home foreclosure.

                    Tom


                    I've mentioned this somewhere, but there's 6 vacant homes on my street, the first time ever I've seen it that way. The house to the right of me, empty.

                    If I had the capital I'd buy it, but it's a gas and matches special. Don't have time to rehab properties like I used to.

                    I would assume that churches would know how hard it is right now, with collections down and the people that come to them in desperation to buy the basics.




                    Hey Papadan, glad to see you're electrified again! How many days without electric?
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Reality Hits Home.....

                      Last night we went to a friends house for an annual End Of The Turkey get together. His little business, that he started last year as a way to make some extra money, is doing so well he hardly has time to bill his clients. The business - he is a process server. Before last night I hadn't given any thought of that aspect of the economy.

                      I wonder if there are other business that flourish in difficult times.

                      Tom

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Reality Hits Home.....

                        McDonalds

                        Pop Tarts

                        Spam


                        Those three items see staggering increases when times get tough, and of course, Walmart.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Reality Hits Home.....

                          Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                          McDonalds

                          Pop Tarts

                          Spam
                          and all three of those are good for the plumbing and drain business

                          We are about to start our second round of layoffs in 8 months. Time to make some tough decisions about who stays and who goes

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Reality Hits Home.....

                            Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                            and all three of those are good for the plumbing and drain business We are about to start our second round of layoffs in 8 months. Time to make some tough decisions about who stays and who goes
                            I am very surprised to hear you say that. I suspected that economy around DC would be as stable or more so than in Albany.

                            As a total non-sequitur my mother is moving near you plumberscrack, to Fairfax VA. - at least it doesn't look very far from you on the map - to be with her boyfriend. They are tired of the long driving times. Fairfax in the winter and New York State in the summer. He is 90 my mother is 86. A couple weeks ago on his way up here he got a speeding ticket for doing 89 in a 65 zone in PA someplace. The roads will be a safer place with both of them in one place.

                            Tom

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Reality Hits Home.....

                              Oh the econo is very stable here. We just need to shed some dead wood thats been rotting on the vine awhile.

                              We've changed our focus from new condos to a more service oriented company this past year. Some guys just can't adapt.

                              Just what my commute needs.... 2 more geriatrics on the road at 4:30 heading to Sizzler for a 8 dollars steak

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X