Forewarned and Forearmed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forewarned and Forearmed?

"Life is beautiful", that's true but staying safe and enjoying life is a combination of luck and being prepared. I live one town away from where that chimp attacked a woman and was shot and killed by police. I guess each of us is aware of the dangers our particular environment presents, criminals, vicious dogs and wild animals, but who expects a 200lb chimp to attack? I carry a good tactical knife and if I had to use it I would not hesitate but from what I understand of this chimp attack it would be of little help. I won't go into the graphic details but the woman's injuries were horrific to say the least. I enjoy life but I don't kid myself to everyday dangers that exist, and while I used to think I was sort of alert and prepared this recent event really blew me away. Even the officer who shot the chimp was treated for shock, after hitting it several times the animal was still able to get back inside the house where it died in it's cage. I don't place all the blame on the chimp, there are plenty of folks who attempt to raise wild animals as house pets once again it has proven to be a bad idea!

Re: Forewarned and Forearmed?

The problem is you can never be fully prepared for everything. I go into dangerous neighborhoods looking over my shoulder. But I'll probably get killed some place where I wont expect it. I just hope its quick, painless, and when I'm a healthy 100 year old.

P.S. I picked my avatar before I read this thread by coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
      The problem is you can never be fully prepared for everything. I go into dangerous neighborhoods looking over my shoulder. But I'll probably get killed some place where I wont expect it. I just hope its quick, painless, and when I'm a healthy 100 year old.

P.S. I picked my avatar before I read this thread by coincidence.
      You're so right Lenny, we can take some precautions but it's foolish to think we have it all covered. When it's time to go "quick and painless" sounds good to me.

Comment

They are certainly powerful animals. I do wonder how much worse they are than some dogs though (of course the dog wouldn't know how to open a door). This is just a terrible outcome for all involved (Victim, Chimp, Owner).

Comment

i feel very bad for that lady.

i've seen on TV about monkey's hunting in groups. the other monkey that was cornered was literally ripped apart and consumed. they start from the legs and make a wishbone out of it. graffic i know, but it's a fact of life.

once the kill instinct kicks in with animals, pure adrenaline (it said to be more powerful than morphine). the same can also be said about any predator.

but let's not forget the possible mental condition of the chimp. maybe it was all buggered up.

Vince

Comment

I don't blame the chimp at all! The owner was to blame she treated it like a person. They drank wine together at night. Slept in the bed. The chimp was following some natural instinct to dominate and protect its home.

Comment

Just read that the woman's vital signs are improving. Four teams of surgeons operated on her for eight hours to reattach and reconstruct her badly damaged body. She is conscious and her family is with her. Laws are stricter now and with any luck people will be more responsible about the risks involved with keeping a wild animal as a pet. There is a guy in my area who had three german shepard/wolf hybrids that killed a few local dogs. He fought to keep the animals and even had a concrete enclosure built to guarantee they would not get out, but they dug down more than two feet and escaped. The town finally forced him to give them up.

Comment

Working...
              X