Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shot a prowler last night

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
    I would try dog or cat.**** I wonder if a meat eating animal* is good or bad?***
    I have heard that, with regard to polar bears, you should not eat any of the organ meat because that is where toxins are stored that accumulate from other animals. I also recall something about a specific vitamin that is stored in polar bear organs that is in such a high concentration that it will kill humans if ingested.

I have eaten black bear meat a couple times and I liked it.

Maybe Vince can help out here? Vince, ever hear about any of the above?

Tom
    Last edited by Tom W; 02-22-2009, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
      I have heard that, with regard to polar bears, you should not eat any of the organ meat because that is where toxins are stored that accumulate from other animals. I also recall something about a specific vitamin that is stored in polar bear organs that is in such a high concentration that it will kill humans if ingested.

I have eaten black bear meat a couple times and I liked it.

Maybe Vince can help out here? Vince, ever hear about any of the above?

Tom
      I believe it's vitamin A in a polar bears liver that will kill a human. I guess snapping turtle is a meat eater and thats good. O.K. with the turtle, allegator and bear you guys have me convinced. Send a hunk of that Bob cat my way and I'll try it

Comment

i think flushable got it.

we don't eat the polor bear liver because it will kill you.

i understand a cubic centimetre is all it takes.

we used to eat the entire animal (with the exception of the polor bear liver). we don't anymore. i guess we're not hungry enough anymore.

pregant women are told not to eat anything from the salt water. heavy metals. this would explain alot.

apparently, the russians have been dumping toxins and such into the arctic ocean for years before anybody noticed.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
          i think flushable got it.

we don't eat the polor bear liver because it will kill you.

i understand a cubic centimetre is all it takes.

we used to eat the entire animal (with the exception of the polor bear liver). we don't anymore. i guess we're not hungry enough anymore.

pregant women are told not to eat anything from the salt water. heavy metals. this would explain alot.

apparently, the russians have been dumping toxins and such into the arctic ocean for years before anybody noticed.

Vince
          Vince I also heard the white folk that would get stuck up your way in winter would get scurvy. You folks wouldn't because you ate meat raw so the little vitamin C in meat was still good. I guess the the people stranded would ruin the vitamin C by cooking the meat.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
            Vince I also heard the white folk that would get stuck up your way in winter would get scurvy. You folks wouldn't because you ate meat raw so the little vitamin C in meat was still good. I guess the the people stranded would ruin the vitamin C by cooking the meat.
            from what i understand scurvy is a think of the past. the explorers/whalers had canned food (soldered with lead) which was for the officers, and salted meats such as pork and fish were for the ship's hands.

the explores tried to overcome scurvy by rationing lemon juice i believe. each ship hand was given a tsp or tbsp a day. this didn't work obviously.

when the ship finally sank through the ice, the inuit tried to convince the sailors to adapt to our ways. eat our food and wear our clothing. the ones that did survived. the ones that didn't, well.............

i am aware that food losses some nutritional value when it's cooked. this sounds gross to many people still eat frozen raw meat. i will admit that i eat it too. raw horsepower.

we did cook some of our meat in the old days. but raw was usually the way to go. often my people were starving and couldn't wait for it to cook. imagine how long it would take to heat up a stone pot with a candle.

Vince

we didn't have milk back then,

what would you eat from the animal to get calcium?

Comment

Great job Jim. The meat is somewhat tough. We pressure cooked it though and that seemed to help considerably.

Comment

Working...
              X