Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What was you first experience shooting a gun?

I grew up in a house that never had guns. Mom and Dad would never allow firearms in the house and discouraged us from owning or using firearms.

When I was around 30 or so, I went hunting with some friends. They let me shoot pistols and rifles and I found I loved it! Target shooting became a hobby for my husband and me. We bought two Rueger .22LR pistols, which we both still have. Since then we've added numerous rifles and pistols. I guess the first thing I ever fired was a .22 one of the guys at hunt camp let me shoot. That same day I shot at least one round from everything they'd let me fire.

On a side note, Darius, I never knew you were from Russia! It'd be interesting to talk "duck and cover" stories with you. We were always taught the evil commies were going to attack us at any moment. Dad always said the Russians were people just like us, because the stories they told us at school scared the crap out of us! It is nice to know the enemy is not some devil-cloaked monster. These days with Russia being more of an ally than an enemy it's weird to think of those days.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

My first gun was a Mossberg bolt action .22 with a military style sling and one of those small diameter scopes. My father bought it for me at a county fair in 1962 for $25.00. I still have it but I replaced the scope with a 3-9 variable. It is just as accurate today as it ever was. I have killed a ton of rabbits, in the old days, shooting out the cab of the truck with it by hitting them in the nose.

When my kids were young we didn't have much money so the kids and I would ride around the back roads with a Mossberg 12 ga. single shot, that I still have, and the .22, shooting partridge and rabbits for dinner. It was great fun for the kids to jump out of the truck, climb snowbanks that were way higher than they were tall and plow through the snow to get the birds or rabbits. By the time they were in elementary school they thought nothing of grabbing a flopping partridge and snapping its neck to kill it.

If I had young kids today I might not do it. But then again I might.

Tom
      Last edited by Tom W; 02-22-2009, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I was around 6 or 7 years old. My dad took me out target shooting with him. I shot his single shot BB gun he had from 1939. I still have the gun. Later that day I shot his 22 rifle. I still have it as well. I lost my dad in 1998 but will always remember our first time out together shooting.

Comment

Roughly thirty years ago, I went to a range with a buddy who had a 38 Special. We fired some reloads and then some fresh magnum rounds. Very impressive kick and flame from the barrel, real feeling of power. I never did get to join a club and own a handgun, too busy with work, fixing up a couple houses and family responsibilities. I've got a 12 gauge Mosseberg for the house, but I still want to own a handgun and shoot once in a while.

Comment

About 23 years ago, a 7.62mm L1A1 rifle. If I had been intelligent, I would have listened to the corporal when he said "it's going to kick back, hold it firmly in the shoulder". So like the young fool I was, I let it slip. And the rearsight embedded itself in my forehead. I still have the scar now, and it reminds me to always pay attention!

Comment

Originally posted by Roadster280 View Post
              About 23 years ago, a 7.62mm L1A1 rifle. If I had been intelligent, I would have listened to the corporal when he said "it's going to kick back, hold it firmly in the shoulder". So like the young fool I was, I let it slip. And the rearsight embedded itself in my forehead. I still have the scar now, and it reminds me to always pay attention!
              I'm glad you brought up the importance of safety and listening to instructions. Who knows how many accidents you avoided because of that painful lesson?

Comment

Ah, but some of the rest of the recruit troop didn't listen either! That rifle has a spring loaded gas plug on the front of the foregrip. So one of the guys was cleaning his rifle out on the training area, sitting on a log with his rifle in the 45 degree angle, like a mortar. Which is exactly the trajectory the gas plug took when he let go of it...

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                  Red Ryder style bb gun when I was a kid. I used to go through 500 bbs in 2 weeks.
                  Did you shoot your eye out?

Comment

Working...
                  X